Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 16 of 18 1 2 14 15 16 17 18
#32472 05/04/09 10:41 AM
Neon signs
Echos of overhead passenger trains
Great humidity
Crowded stations
High up walkways
Tall buildings
Planes cross the sky in moonlight.

My lost city is Fujisawa City,Japan 1996

#32473 06/06/09 10:31 PM
Of the three Foxx related albums so far this year, 'My Lost City' is my favourite. Stand out tracks are 'Imperfect Hymn', 'Magnetic Fields', and best of all 'Holywell Lane'.

#32474 06/09/09 06:37 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by newvox:
Of the three Foxx related albums so far this year, 'My Lost City' is my favourite.
I'll second that... brilliant album cool

#32475 06/10/09 06:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Vox Humana:
Quote:
Originally posted by newvox:
[b] Of the three Foxx related albums so far this year, 'My Lost City' is my favourite.
I'll second that... brilliant album cool [/b]
Yes, theres something about vintage sound. Nothing sounds better. wink

#32476 11/10/09 10:12 AM
I’m repurposing this thread a bit after coming across some beautiful and rare, archive colour footage of London from 1927;

The Open Road, London (1927)

Perhaps the thread could continue in this vein, with footage from the other Lost Cities such as New York and Tokyo – the search is on!

#32477 11/10/09 10:20 AM
Nice one guv!

Also spotted this one by the same user - has a futurist / 'drowned world' / meltdown theme to it...

Fugitive Futurist: A Q-riosity by "Q" (1924)

...talk about retro-future!

#32478 11/10/09 01:14 PM
M
M
Quote:
Originally posted by MemberD:
Nice one guv!

Also spotted this one by the same user - has a futurist / 'drowned world' / meltdown theme to it...

Love the script too - "Sir! I am not a vendor of footwear appendages, neither am I a card-sharper. I am an inventor!" tres cool

#32479 11/10/09 04:04 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Ilektrik:
Quote:
[b] Nice one guv!

Love the script too - "Sir! I am not a vendor of footwear appendages, neither am I a card-sharper. I am an inventor!" tres cool [/b]
Cheers D! Great find! And yes Ilektrik - the scrpt's great - in fact I’d say it’s awfully jolly old Top! laugh

#32480 11/10/09 05:37 PM
M
M
Quote:
Originally posted by RadioBeach:
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Ilektrik:
[b]
Quote:
[b] Nice one guv!

Love the script too - "Sir! I am not a vendor of footwear appendages, neither am I a card-sharper. I am an inventor!" tres cool [/b]
Cheers D! Great find! And yes Ilektrik - the scrpt's great - in fact I’d say it’s awfully jolly old Top! laugh [/b]
Rather, old bean! smile

#32481 11/11/09 05:28 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by RadioBeach:
I’m repurposing this thread a bit after coming across some beautiful and rare, archive colour footage of London from 1927;

The Open Road, London (1927)

Perhaps the thread could continue in this vein, with footage from the other Lost Cities such as New York and Tokyo – the search is on!
I'm late to this thread - sorry!

Here are some gems from Tokyo and Yokohama - about 1930ish.
1930\'s Japan - 1

1930\'s Japan 2

A recent news report that seems to have some scenes taken from clips above - but gives a good view of mid-late '30's
1930\'s Japan 3

None of these are as wonderfully candid as Garry's link, but do show us what it was like then. It looks nothing like this now!

BTW, I have been appalled recently by the mount of advertising that hits us everywhere - and including buses that get comlpetely covered in a branding exercise - and then I noticed the London buses in the clips - WOW!! So much is written on them, and stuff you couldn't possibly see unless standing right next to them!! I guess things haven't gotten worse after all.

Brian - were you in Fujisawa in '96?

My lost city is definitely Tokyo - you can still find bits that are very old - the trouble is that developers are catching up and building new stuff wherever they can - The landscape around tokyo station is unrecognisable from 2004! That's just 5 years!

Makes sense to go uot and shoot lots of video and then stored it for 50 years and see peoples reactions at that tmie when you show them!

Page 16 of 18 1 2 14 15 16 17 18

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.