Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
H
H
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex S:
On the subject of compilations, I wonder if a collection of John's various instrumentals will appear at some point... although I'm not sure what point or added value such a thing would have...

...sorry, that thought was totally OT!

.......although to bring it back on topic, I wonder if there are any instrumental tracks suitable for Metadelic...
Well...there is the long-lost soundtrack to the Antonioni film "Identification Of A Woman" which was recorded round about 1981-82.

That said I only saw the film once many years ago and the only music I remember was an instrumental version of "Europe After The Rain" which consisted mainly of the outro with an extended piano improvisation over the top. I reckon it might fit in well with the Metadeic concept though.

C
C
As regards disc one, I think that with the exception of Shifting City there is very little of John and Louis other album work together that fit’s the bill. With Shifting City only recently having been re-released it seems a bit early to plunder all of the paisley patterned tracks that are on it, but it’s an obvious choice. Another more sympathetic body of work to the Metadelic call is of course The Golden Section, bursting with possibilities, but again I think it would be pointless to have a top-heavy selection of tracks taken from disc 1 and 2 of that album’s fairly recent ’08 remaster.

Metatronic has 17 tracks, so my here's my hope as to what I think should be on a psychedelic compilation disc of John’s work. In no particular order, just working backwards through the releases:

Underwater

A Room As Big As A City

Your Shadow

Uptown/Downtown

Through My Sleeping

An Ocean We Can Breathe

Spin Away
- (perhaps a contentious one given its clearly obvious inspiration! but this was a revelation and surprisingly became a beautiful plus point on an otherwise difficult album for me)

In Mysterious Ways

Someone

A Long Time
(alternative version TGS ’08 remaster)

A Woman On A Stairway

This Jungle

Swimmer 1

Europe After The Rain

You Were There

The Garden

I'd thoroughly agree with that! Perhaps with the addition of Uptown/Downtown.

C
C
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex S:
I'd thoroughly agree with that! Perhaps with the addition of Uptown/Downtown.
Alex, that was actually meant to be on my list!
well said, consider it added now * smile

Quote:
Would the Zeus B Held remix of The Garden be worth including for completeness sake?
Huh? confused I thought it was just the album version on the B-side. And that's why I never got the 12" single. What's the length of this remix? Is it radically different to the album version?

Totally agree with you on the choices though Andy, definitely want to have those on CD.
Quote:
Perhaps I'm expecting a bit too much here but I can live in hope.
You and me both, mate! wink

OP Offline
Originally posted by Ion-ah:
I thought it was just the album version on the B-side. And that's why I never got the 12" single. What's the length of this remix? Is it radically different to the album version?

I haven't heard this mix for years Ion-ah. To me it sounded no different to the original version. The length is the same as the album version. If there are differences they are very subtle.

F
F
it's the video to "Dancing Like A Gun" that really demands a wider audience smile

Administrator
Administrator
Quote:
Originally posted by Your Shadow:

Would the Zeus B Held remix of The Garden be worth including for completeness sake?

I would also like to see the 1983 single edit of Endlessly also included as this is the only single that is as yet available on CD. It would also be nice to see all of John's other videos included in the release.

Some interesting ideas there. But, and this relates to other posts in this thread too, I think that more care will be taken to ensure Metadelic is a consistent, themed package in keeping with its objective... even if that's as when it was first mooted in 97 ish... rather than just somewhere to put things that aren't otherwise available.

It's not going to be a 'catch-all' for everything that hasn't been released so far.
That would be a mistake.

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
Quote:
Originally posted by Your Shadow:
Originally posted by Ion-ah:
I thought it was just the album version on the B-side. And that's why I never got the 12" single. What's the length of this remix? Is it radically different to the album version?

I haven't heard this mix for years Ion-ah. To me it sounded no different to the original version. The length is the same as the album version. If there are differences they are very subtle.
It is the album version.

OP Offline
Originally posted by MintyTux:

It is the album version.

To call it the Zeus B Held remix he must have done some minor tinkering with it. Not that you would notice.

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.