Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Administrator
Administrator
Hee hee... Surely not? :rolleyes:

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
Too late!!!! laugh

H
OP Offline
H
Many thanks for an interesting and informative response Rob, though I'm sure your heart must sink every time someone starts another "unreleased song" thread!
By way of compensation perhaps I could email you an mp3 of the 12" Zeus B Hulkkonen remix of "TBC" I bought at a record fair in 1987????!!!

The Archive
The Archive
Quote:
Originally posted by Herbert the turbot:
Many thanks for an interesting and informative response Rob, though I'm sure your heart must sink every time someone starts another "unreleased song" thread!
Not really, as it shows that there are people 'out there' who are interested in John.

If my heart sinks it's because people can't easily find the information they're looking for - and that means that I have to tear myself away from working on the website to go through my notes to assemble an answer which I can then post. It's a bit of a Catch-22 situation. frown

And that's far from ideal - but the 'new look' site should address all of those issues.

Quote:
Originally posted by Herbert the turbot:
By way of compensation perhaps I could email you an mp3 of the 12" Zeus B Hulkkonen remix of "TBC" I bought at a record fair in 1987????!!!
Nah, I've already got a copy... wink

Rob

This thread reminds me of an interview John gave in a music mag in late '84. Can't remember which one I'm afraid.

He discussed recording sessions undertaken that year. After the Golden Section tour had ended he said that he decided to retain his live band - Robin Simon,Peter Oxendale,David Levy and Barry Watts,in order to record some new tracks.If my memory is correct, John said that he wanted to record tracks with more of a band feel.

When In Mysterious Ways finally appeared only one track, This Side Of Paradise, was recorded by this line up and so I guess was from these '84 sessions. However the B-side Stairway (Hiding In Plain Sight) has a similar feel and I'm guessing were recorded by the same line up. It was only after hearing the 2 disc IMW that I heard more tracks that have a similar sound.These are And The Sky and Shine On (alternative version) and possible even Enter The Angel (alternative version). I don't expect Rob to know the details of every recording session John has ever undertaken but any info about the line up of these recordings would be of interest to me. (I know, what a sad anaorak I am).

Administrator
Administrator
If your an anorak, then I'm a kagool! :p

There's an interview with John from Feb 1984 for' In the City' when he refers to "recording again, using the musicians from the last tour" and describes how they have just recorded "And Of the Sky" in 4 hours.

I think you're right with the 'sound' of this material and its date and the musicians, because this interview was soon followed by the publication of The Service 2, when he refers to this track again by its subsequent name "And The Sky"

(thus I should correct what I said above - The Service actually refers to the song (correctly) as "And The Sky")

At the time that was written, the 'alternative versions' as on IMW Disc 2 were already recorded

(informationİmetamatic.com)

It's also worth noting that Hiding In Plain Sight is named among these songs, so quite why it 'ended up' being called Stairway on the album is something of a mystery?

Pass me coat...

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
Cheers for that Martin. Glad to know I'm not the only one interested in the smallest minutiae about John's recording.

Administrator
Administrator
Ooh no, far from it.

Though I'm very pleased about exactly the same thing cool

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.