Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 17 18
#30415 02/27/09 12:10 PM
Administrator
Administrator
Looks like the Estrellita track on http://www.myspace.com/foxxmetamatic now has some accompanying artwork... :p

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#30416 02/27/09 12:19 PM
Aye you're right. Oh look..it's in black & white... wink

#30417 03/04/09 12:50 AM
Just preordered this after getting Robin's latest update for the Metamatic mailing list. How long before the next album?

#30418 03/13/09 11:21 AM
'Luminous' is up on the myspace player. Don't know how long it's been there.

#30419 03/13/09 12:25 PM
It was 3rd March I spotted it.

http://www.metamatic.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=11;t=000444

#30420 03/13/09 12:30 PM
ah ok . .fair enough!

#30421 03/13/09 01:27 PM
C
C
I notice that theres not been much comment on Luminous since Brian brought the newly posted sample to our attention.

Personally I'm a bit disappointed by it, sounding like a typical John C.O. vocal has just merely been laid on top of a standard Cocteau guitar wash. I dont sense any fusion going on, and the title is also a much overused adjective and not very inspiring... frown

#30422 03/13/09 01:49 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by core memory:
I notice that theres not been much comment on Luminous since Brian brought the newly posted sample to our attention.

Personally I'm a bit disappointed by it, sounding like a typical John C.O. vocal has just merely been laid on top of a standard Cocteau guitar wash. I dont sense any fusion going on, and the title is also a much overused adjective and not very inspiring... frown
I have to say I agree there. I was expecting for something a bit more innovative and experimental, given the artists involved. Instead it just sounds like a cross between CO and the general Cocteau sound - which is OK if you like them - which in my case I'm not overly fussed. I have a best-of CD, which I seldom play. I was hoping that John's contribution might at least be more lyrical.

On the other hand, we do have A Secret Life, which will, I guess, be a very experimental album, and I'm looking forward to that, although initially I was undecided by the samples online.

It's still hard to pass judgement without hearing the whole album though...

#30423 03/13/09 02:19 PM
I'm a big Cocteau Twins fan (heck, I actually got to see them live once, while in Boston on a business trip), and I like Robin Guthrie's solo material as well, so I'm still feeling pretty positive about Mirrorball. It may not be quite what I expected, triangulating from Foxx/Budd on Translucence/Drift Music and Budd/Guthrie on Mysterious Skin, After the Night Falls, and Before the Day Breaks, if Estrellita is representative of the whole. But it's still something I have to hear.

#30424 03/13/09 08:11 PM
C
C
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex S:
I was expecting for something a bit more innovative and experimental, given the artists involved…
That’s my thought also.
We’ve had lots of time to prepare for this collaborative release, and I might eventually warm to Luminous, and deep down a younger part of me is thinking Crikey! that’s John Foxx singing on a Cocteau track, but in reality I’m feeling that all that’s happened is that Liz has just been swapped over for John, certainly an amazing proposition if it had happened in the 80’s, (a bit like having your ‘dream band members’ fantasy come true laugh )

Not wishing to cross-post but I too had wondered at the large volume of plays for ‘A Secret Life’, (though Furniture has probably guessed correct about this in his Secret Life thread), and either people love Estrellita, at 2,428 plays, or maybe they can’t get their heads around it? and keep having to re-listen, Luminous meanwhile has so far had 780.

Page 3 of 18 1 2 3 4 5 17 18

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.