Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11
#30125 11/30/09 01:21 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Birdsong:
Inspirational post Garry - thanks cool
Cheers Guv! smile

Quote:
Originally posted by Birdsong:
Quote:
Originally posted by RadioBeach:
[b]
Glad you’ve finally got round to liking Never Let Me Go. When I first heard the album it was one of the standout pieces.
Hmmm. Hang on there, matey - I didn't say I didn't actually like it :p rather that I felt I understood the track a bit more and so am becoming more amenable to it….

...In a literary sense, Never let me Go is what I understand as 'hauntologocial' and I now see the song in a different, hazy kind of half light. Strangely out of focus, and distinctly temporal, yet...yet... it is indeed neither one thing or another, and therefore exists in that 'third' state - occupying the gap between past and future.
It hints at things. It is merely the ghost of a thing. Little more than an idea, a blur, an unrealised moment from a dream sequence...

[/b]
Soz!

Re: Hauntology – it’s odd when you think about it, about 99.9 % of his work could be described as hauntologocial – Metamatic to My Lost City the electricity and ghosts permeate all of it. It’s funny that – it’s always been there – but we’ve only just found a word for it, sort of. I’m not fond of the word myself but can’t think of anything else that’s as useful to use.

#30126 12/02/09 09:54 AM
More from the not-so-quiet man:
december

#30127 12/02/09 10:48 AM
A new collab with Benge ...
I'm looking forward to this album!
Bring back the moog ...
laugh

#30128 12/04/09 01:48 AM
T
T
I have just been reading the essay on the media - really fascinating stuff.

Makes you think of all your own ghosts out there - in letters, in photographs, in memories even. You don't need to have experienced fame. For instance I found it quite amusing to see a photograph of myself with two others on (shall we say) a sister site with the caption labelling me as unidentified (or similar). Facebook users will be familiar with the dread that comes so suddenly when an update arrives to say that you have tagged in a photo. And then you see the link, view the car crash, expect it to be a school photograph or a candid shot, and find it is not you, not even a ghost, just an inanimate object, an association made by a friend, a warm joke.

Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.