Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
#2920 05/31/08 12:54 PM
OP Offline
Hi Monkey Jive

First off hi and secondly thanks for your great comments, it is appreciated.

I am currently working on an album which is totally influenced by John's "Metamatic" album and have recorded 5 tracks and am working on a sixth. So far "The Glimmer Man" has been posted on my web pages and also "A Face I Knew (Link below for that track) the other tracks will be posted in due course for people to listen to. When the CD is complete I will make it available on my site.

Gary Hunter - A Face I Knew

On my iCompositions page you will find 2 Joy Division cover versions which are getting rave reviews off people, whether it is your cup of tea or not I don't know but you might like them.

When the new stuff is posted I will post a message in the forums here.

Gary

#2921 06/01/08 10:11 AM
Greetings from New York!

#2922 06/01/08 10:17 AM
OP Offline
Hi Maryann from Manchester in the UK, hope you are well.

#2923 06/01/08 09:03 PM
Hi Gary. That is good news. I prefer your 'Foxx' stuff to the covers ( the originals can not be bettered IMO) or the ambient type stuff which I do not like at all.......whom ever the artist is!!! Good luck with the album and keep us posted.

Regards

Alan ( Monkey Jive )

#2924 06/02/08 06:55 AM
Gary has done some fantastic covers, but I must agree I prefer the original tracks "in the style" of John Foxx and others. Also, for the Robo Cast electronic podcasts I do, I cannot include cover versions so another great reason to create original tracks. I can play them on the Robo Cast shows smile

I'm looking to create a special John Foxx inspired show if I can pull all the tracks together and also get agreement from Rob and Steve to include a John Foxx track on the show. I know loads of artists who have JF influenced tracks and I've received some already.

Ian

#2925 06/02/08 03:10 PM
Foxx's TPOE album was the album that got me interested in making my own electronic music, but it took a few years for me to get round to doing so.

While John's music is a big influence, I don't think much of my music "sounds" like John - which is a good thing I guess because in copying somebody else's style, you don't develop your own. That said, I'm not sure exactly what it is that connects my music to his, especially since my stuff is instrumental (there's the Jarre influence). I've done some stuff that would fall into the Cathedral Oceans sort of style, but I guess it's the atmosphere and concept in albums such as TPOE and Metamatic that inspire me, rather than the actual sounds.

#2926 06/02/08 03:19 PM
OP Offline
Hi Alex

Hope you are well mate. Is n't amazing how inspirational John's "Metamatic" album has proved to be. A cracking album and in my all time top 50 without a doubt. Ian's mentioned you have sent some stuff for the next Robo Cast show which is excellent news.

Gary

#2927 06/02/08 03:43 PM
Hi Gary,

Yes, I'm proud to be a part of Ian's podcasts! Metamatic certainly opened my eyes and ears. I've got a virtual Arp and virtual Moog which I do dabble with - sounds from them have been used in a lot of my stuff, but it wasn't until my Metropolis album that I finally stripped the music right back on 2 or 3 of the songs and used that more minimal, Metamatic-like approach.

Metamatic would definately be in my all time top 10 or 20 - certainly the 50!!

#2928 06/02/08 03:57 PM
Actually it would make sense to link to the songs I mentioned:
Towering Glass
Waking
Concrete Monsters
Not my best pieces at all, but experimental in that I wanted to make more of the analogue sounds.

I keep forgetting about iCompositions - haven't been on it in absolutely ages (mainly due to my recent lack of musical output).

#2929 06/02/08 05:46 PM
OP Offline
Hi Alex

Just been listening to the tracks you mentioned. I do like the sounds you have used and there is a john foxx influence in the music. Of the three I thought "Towering Glass" was best, quite a chilled out piece.

I use virtual Arp, Moog and the Pro53 by Native Instruments which is superb for analog stuff.

I have posted comments and rated the tracks for you.

Gary

Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.