Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
Personally I think "In Mysterious Ways" is a stunning album and in my all time top ten. Some excellent crafted songs and beautiful production.

It is a piece of work John should be immensely proud of.

Gary

I'm sad to admit, I'd more or less 'dismissed' this album. Not because it's bad - on the contrary; a beautiful set of songs, gracefully performed - but it just doesn't do anything for me. I might as well be listening to Cliff Richard! Just not my taste. The elements that excited me on Metamatic and The Garden are missing.

But I'm not prepared to write it off, and in fact I'm looking forward to hearing all the extra tracks, in the hope that these unreleased songs will give me a renewed interest in the parent album.

Well there's a first. I never thought I'd read the names John Foxx and Cliff Richard in the same posting in whatever context. It must be time to go home...

eek

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex S:
I'm sad to admit, I'd more or less 'dismissed' this album. Not because it's bad - on the contrary; a beautiful set of songs, gracefully performed - but it just doesn't do anything for me. I might as well be listening to Cliff Richard! Just not my taste. The elements that excited me on Metamatic and The Garden are missing.

But I'm not prepared to write it off, and in fact I'm looking forward to hearing all the extra tracks, in the hope that these unreleased songs will give me a renewed interest in the parent album.
Quote:
Originally posted by E. G. Ekin:
Well there's a first. I never thought I'd read the names John Foxx and Cliff Richard in the same posting in whatever context.
But I understand exactly what Alex means! I admit that I have written off IMW, despite several attempts to listen to it objectively -- in other words, I have told myself to put it within the context of the times and see if I can excuse certain things about it, but nope, I can't. Okay, then, pretend it's NOT John Foxx and see if I can still enjoy it. Sorry, I just don't! I never have a need or desire to go back and play it, whereas in the right mood even some of the thinner, weaker material he's done with Louis Gordon can call to me and have its appeal. I don't think I need to have IMW in my collection except in the interests of being a completist (and I'm trying to move away from that compulsion -- I've got too many CDs I don't listen to!).

Having said that, I suppose that after everyone gets their paws on their preordered copies of the double IMW I will weigh the comments everyone here makes about the bonus tracks. Maybe later I will change my mind and order a copy of the double set just for them. But it will take a lot to convince me . . . :rolleyes:

T
T
Quote:
Originally posted by Birdsong:

Other curios are the early version of [b]To be With You
- reassembled for Metamatic 2007 - [...][/b]
Sorry to pull you up on a word Martin but perhaps "early" is misleading, no doubt it is earlier than Metamatic 2007 but maybe just maybe To Be With You "2008" is itself reassembled?? And To Be With You was presumably recorded at least in some form or other for the original Metamatic.

I am also looking forward very much to this special edition of "In Mysterious Ways" - the only track I could never get into was/is "This Side of Paradise", each of the other tracks has its merits, and (for me) "Stars On Fire" and "Morning Glory" are as much the essence of John Foxx as "The Garden" or "Metamatic", an essence I would describe as "romantic". I think romantic is a good way to describe Foxx's career, particularly post-Metamatic. I don't just mean one-to-one "lurve", but the romance of cities, of memories, of gardens, and so on.

I used to consider myself a completist, but not really any more. I don't see the point in getting something I'm not so bothered about just for the sake of having it... and with a love of so many artists and other interests, I'd need to buy a separate house just for CDs and DVDs!!

I'm afraid IMW is the one Foxx album I have never had the the urge to buy frown I have two tracks via Modern Art and two via Assembly and that is enough.

Quote:
Originally posted by the church puddle:
I am also looking forward very much to this special edition of "In Mysterious Ways" ...
Me too. smile

I love the song What Kind of Girl. It's my favourite song on the album & also one of my favourite John Foxx songs. When I originally bought the single Stars on Fire, I thought that What Kind of Girl would have been a great single too.

Quote:
I think romantic is a good way to describe Foxx's career, particularly post-Metamatic. I don't just mean one-to-one "lurve", but the romance of cities, of memories, of gardens, and so on.
I agree with you. smile

Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
Quote:
I think romantic is a good way to describe Foxx's career, particularly post-Metamatic.
While we are picking up on phrasing M. Puddel wink I think you mean neo -romantic?

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
F
F
Quote:
Originally posted by Herbert the turbot:
]Never been in love, I take it? wink
I have understood why it should be necessary to become irrational to prove that one cared,
nor indeed why it should be necessary to prove it all
etc etc laugh

Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.