Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#28146 05/31/08 08:56 AM
OP Offline
While we're on the topic of unusual songs, B-sides, etc. I thought I'd raise this one.

I have it as track 11 on the original Matamatic CD (1993 issue).

Its totally out of kilter with the rest of Metamatic and some of the lyrics (like rock rock) harken back to the Ultravox days.

I'm not sure why else it would belong. Is there a story behind it?

#28147 05/31/08 10:14 AM
Administrator
Administrator
Are you aware that this was originally intended to be the first solo Foxx single? You'll see it has the'1979' date - the only track published in that year, recorded maybe September/October.

So I suspect it was written before most of the other Metamatic material - hence its unique style.

As far as I know, it never progressed past the acetate stage, although it did apppear in the catalogues of some Music Papers - NME for instance listed it briefly.
For whatever reason it was scrapped in favour of ANKOM (the mysterious VS303), which in turn was replaced by Underpass.

Personally, I quite like the track - although it is more contemporary than what followed. Almost sounds a bit like Soft Cell in parts to me...

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#28148 05/31/08 11:54 AM
Young Love sounds like something fresh from Travelogue. Lyrically and musically it doesn't fit with Metamatic, though I do like the track. I enjoy the energy and spontaneity of John's vocal.

#28149 05/31/08 12:00 PM
Yeah it's a great song and I really hope John play it live one day... wink

#28150 05/31/08 01:12 PM
OP Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Birdsong:
Are you aware that this was originally intended to be the first solo Foxx single? You'll see it has the'1979' date - the only track published in that year, recorded maybe September/October.

So I suspect it was written before most of the other Metamatic material - hence its unique style.
Yes, its got quite a unique style to it alright. It might have been a better choice than My Face on that yellow flexi disc.

Its interesting that its B-side was Metal Beat.
Quote:

As far as I know, it never progressed past the acetate stage, although it did apppear in the catalogues of some Music Papers - NME for instance listed it briefly.
For whatever reason it was scrapped in favour of ANKOM (the mysterious VS303), which in turn was replaced by Underpass.

Personally, I quite like the track - although it is more contemporary than what followed. Almost sounds a bit like Soft Cell in parts to me...
It was certainly 'bopier'. Nice lyrics. And it sounds all electronic. At around 2 mins. in you can pick out a Metamatic quality for a few seconds (and again towards the end).

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.