Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
M
M
Sorry, but I just don't like TSOP. Too in your face for me.
I too like the 'Shoop shoop ooh la la la' bit & the haunting 'ooh wee ooh ooh' bit that sounds like a choir boy singing. Both bits are perfect within the overall concept of the song.

Young Man sounds care-free & romantic. I love Annexe too.

What a divide! Good that we can agree to disagree etc. smile

I only listened to In Mysterious Ways for the first time in over a decade a few weeks back.

Hearing it again made me think that;

it wasn't as bad as I remember it, but thatThis Side of Paradise was a lot worse than I had remembered it!

I've always liked Young Man - it has a very 'playful' nature/charm to it. I've always thought it must of come out of The Garden sessions just like This Jungle which was on the b-side to Europe After The Rain but like Young Man appeared as an album track on the limited cassette release of The Golden Section.

I've always thought that - not based on any evidence - but just because when Foxx says he went to Europe and "...thawed in a big way" - it's these more warmer, lighter tracks (Young Man, A Kind of Wave, Miles Away that I think of.

Gazza

Quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Ilektrik:
I love it! Acoustic psychedelia that sounds like summer.

My least favourite Foxx track is This Side Of Paradise. An awful vocal by John.
I love them both!

He seldom makes those silly sounds other singers make so its a refreshing change to hear them when he does.

Quote:
Originally posted by bluepicasso:
I like This Side..., but the guitars, drums, and vocals are just to the extreme compared with the rest of In Mysterious Ways. Don't know if it was put on as an after thought with John thinking, you know the whole cd is too soft -- let me quickly write a rocker. Still, it has its moments. The xtra track on the reissue "Hiding in Plain Sight" is its twin in my opinion.
Its one of my favourite songs on IMW. Its not in the same mould as the others, but its theme does match the others.

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex S:
I try to forget about that - it's worse than the plaza-la-la-la!! laugh
What about the de-de-de-de on She Robot?

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.