Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#28110 05/30/08 10:07 AM
B
OP Offline
B
Once in awhile, a song grabs me and doesn't let me go -- such as Young Man. Though initially a b-side, I love the song's feeling. Any other fans here love this song?

Regards,

Blue P

No, I'm afraid I don't like it at all!

What was he thinking?!
It's kind of like Talking Heads/Lindsey Buckingham gone wrong.

I might go as far as saying it's my least favourite Foxx track - certainly my most skipped. Maybe it's one of those tracks that you either like immediately or don't.

M
M
I love it! Acoustic psychedelia that sounds like summer.

My least favourite Foxx track is This Side Of Paradise. An awful vocal by John.

B
OP Offline
B
Quote:
Originally posted by Mr.Ilektrik:

I like This Side..., but the guitars, drums, and vocals are just to the extreme compared with the rest of In Mysterious Ways. Don't know if it was put on as an after thought with John thinking, you know the whole cd is too soft -- let me quickly write a rocker. Still, it has its moments. The xtra track on the reissue "Hiding in Plain Sight" is its twin in my opinion.

Blue P

I also love 'Young Man'. It took me by surprise when I first heard it because, to me, it seemed so different from John's usual stuff. Am I the only one here who sings along with the "Shoop shoop, ooh la la la" part???

laugh

ΤΏΤ

I try to forget about that - it's worse than the plaza-la-la-la!! laugh

Administrator
Administrator
Quote:
Originally posted by Harmonia Mundi:
I also love 'Young Man'. It took me by surprise when I first heard it because, to me, it seemed so different from John's usual stuff. Am I the only one here who sings along with the "Shoop shoop, ooh la la la" part???

laugh

ΤΏΤ
I agree with you. I think its a very different kind of song - was it recorded especially for this B-side? Out of context with his 'usual' stuff because, at the time of the first Endlessly, I don't think there was a project on the go. At least not one that we are familiar with. All the stuff for the Golden Section was scrapped and re-recorded the following year, so perhaps this is a legacy of that, if not a left over idea from earlier.

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
Administrator
Administrator
Quote:

I disagree too. I don't 'love' the vocal, but in the context of what was going on and John's self-confessed lack of commitment to the IMW album, this song is a refreshing blast.
I wonder if it comes out of his sessions with Anne Clark because the stuff on Pressure Point sis in this style?
Bit of a rock out, and" what the hell" moment
And why not cool

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
Quote:
what?? one of the best imho.

I like the upbeat nature of This Side of Paradise and the synths. That little riff is nice too. If anything this track is the one I go back to on the album.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.