Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 13 of 16 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 16
Quote:
Originally posted by core memory:
I'm working my way through the other '2' remasters first before coming to The Garden, well, I like to save the best for last smile
Same here... tonight is my "Garden" night.

Administrator
Administrator
I'd have to say the same thing.

I got these three albums and Glimmer on Tuesday. It's only Thursday! For me, it takes several listens to really get an idea of what's going on, appreciate an album etc etc - and these re-masters are no exception despite their 'familiarity'.

Also must confess I played my favourite first. :p

And listen to other stuff by other people that I've already had waiting for weeks.

And combed, the cat, cooked the food, shaved the kids, went to work, met friends in the pub...

What is it with Life? Too often it gets in the way of listening to decent music!!!

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
OP Offline
This is my favourite Foxx album ever, so i'll admit from the start that any thoughts on here are completely coloured by that fact.

First the booklet. Well, the revamped booklet takes the limited edition Church book into account wonderfully (thank you Rob, thank you Cerise, thank you Mr Paul Agar wherever you are thankyouthankyouthankyou – why can’t all re-issues get the love you lot give them? Etcetcetc).

It's sad and anorak I know, but if the goldfish weren't there I'd of killed millions...well I'd of complained a lot...maybe just sulked a bit. The goldfish are there! Everything is alright with the world, phew.

You could get a rough idea how the album sounds from Glimmer. Musically thankfully, there’s no surprises - the album is just as it was. I noticed that the fade out to Walk Away now has a slight bass rumble as well as the soaring string line at the very end, but that may have been there all along – just not noticed it before on the original Virgin CD issue or the original vinyl and cassette issues.

I know what Lele means about stereo panning on Dancing Like A Gun* – but I’m really unsure if this is any different to the original vinyl and subsequent CD issue. Some guitar and vocals do appear prominently on the left channel and there was similar stereo panning on other tracks originally (the kick drum on Night Suit for example) that infer that the panning is indeed panning and not drop-out. The audio-savvy among you can fight it out – I’m just going to grab a nice bottle of wine and listen again at sunset.

‘Dress discarded’ in the The Garden, we head over to the bonus disc – and what a bloody wonderful bonus disc it is. So good, that it takes repeated playing, especially of tracks 6 – 10 to really appreciate it.

Fog is a beautiful sleepy piano-like bleep piece with small elements of percussion – it reminds me of the beautiful and haunting piano piece Promenade Sentimentale from the 1981 movie Diva. Clocking in at six minutes it slowly builds, strings coming in so quietly you hardly notice.

If you’ve not heard Swimmer III and Swimmer IV (previously titled The Quiet Man 3 and The Quiet Man 4 and only available on the much sought after Touch Meridans cassettes) before you’re in for a treat. Cleaned up, these two proto- Cathedral Oceans tracks are allowed to fly a little higher than the tape hiss originals. Just listening to Fog, Swimmer III and Swimmer IV is an experience in itself – knowing that these early explorations into the more ambient side of things, was just around the corner. Fog would easily have slipped onto Tiny Colour Movies (yes, it’s that good) and no one would of noticed.

Dance With Me is very similar to the original, just a bit stripped back and some re-shuffling where things come in.

A Woman on a Stairway is beautiful. It’s a more understated recording compared to the original that appeared on The Golden Section cassette. The strings sound slightly filtered giving the impression they’re being communiqué’d from a vintage 1940s radio – well in my head at any rate.

The version of Fusion / Fission is just another take from The Garden sessions and not as some had thought, an earlier Metamatic-era version.

There’s a really haunting quality to the bonus disc; it drifts in on Fog and whispers out again on A Woman on a Stairway.

Right – I’m off to go waltzing through the crowd, while all the skies go tumbling down.

Gazza

*see Glimmer thread

Administrator
Administrator
Bl**dy h*ll!

Just raise the 'review' stakes, why doncha??? eek

Well written Garry, thanks for sharing. Nice one cool

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
OP Offline
Cheers Martin! And apologies also wink

I know I am getting very carried away! laugh

Administrator
Administrator
It's great to witness.

I'll 'see' your Garden and IMW and raise you a Golden Section wink

Dont apply for a job in the music press Garry. Your becoming just too qualified.

OP Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Birdsong:
It's great to witness.

I'll 'see' your Garden and IMW and raise you a Golden Section wink
Ha!ha!ha! Brilliant! laugh

Mine is just one train of thought – looking forward to reading yours as always!

Quote:
Originally posted by newvox:
Dont apply for a job in the music press Garry. Your becoming just too qualified.
Heh! Cheers Newvox!
laugh

Administrator
Administrator
Quote:
Originally posted by RadioBeach:
Ha!ha!ha! Brilliant! laugh

Mine is just one train of thought – looking forward to reading yours as always!
Looking forward to writing them!!! Just gotta find time to play the d*mn things first eek

Very enjoyable and entertaining review, Garry! Again, many thanks! I am hopeful that my CDs will be in my mailbox tonight so I can compare my impressions to yours.
Quote:
Originally posted by Birdsong:

What is it with Life? Too often it gets in the way of listening to decent music!!!
Isn't that the truth! smile

I too am looking forward to your reviews whenever you get the chance, Martin. Take your time, make sure the cat is combed and the kids are -- did you say "shaved"? eek Hmm . . . sounds like things are truly getting crazy over there! Hope you get the chance to relax soon.

Page 13 of 16 1 2 11 12 13 14 15 16

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.