Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
#24538 08/15/08 03:15 PM
F
feline1 Offline OP
OP Offline
F
I love it when John Barker tells us all these Metamatic facts smile

Lemme get this right though - cos I think I've "hocketed" many times myself, I just never knew that was what it was called! lol
The wikipedia describes it in terms of mediaeval music, but the synth equivalent is that thing where you have a monosynth, and if the note-triggering priority is the right way round, you can hold one finger on a low (or high, if it's the other way round) note and stab out other notes with another finger, leaving a gap between them so that the oscillator keeps zipping down to the held note in between them?
And then if you put an echo repeat on it of a suitable length you can get really cool sounding things as the echos overlap in different bits of the gaps ...

#24539 08/15/08 08:47 PM
M
M
I also do the same with a roland sh-2000. I think it can even make a mono-synth better than a polyphonic since you don't have to bother with
chords with the left hand. In my case I let the mono-machine cut-off control make the hard part camouflaging the mistakes, and once it's
learned it is not difficult so it is a very good technique to compose-improvise. I find it tends to give the music a baroque flavour - maybe it
has something to do with the numbered bass concept at that point.
Since we're speaking here, I must have been influenced by the sound of Metamatic when I found it. I don't think any prog-rock group played that
way notwithstanding their interest in classical music.
I will experiment the echo repeat thing next time. Thanks again, and yes I'm a Barker supporter too.

#24540 08/15/08 10:47 PM
F
feline1 Offline OP
OP Offline
F
well, you'll hear Rick Wakeman (arrrgh!) doing that style of monosynth playing a lot - if anyone is brave enough to hear that brown live Yes double album from 1972 ("Yessongs"), when he does his solo spot with the Six Wives of Henry VIII stuff, he does a couple of miniMoog widdles using that note-priority-monosynth trick thing - but he doesn't use echos to build it up into anything nice and hockety, he instead just plays it as fast as he can lol

#24541 08/16/08 07:41 PM
M
M
So I fear it was not only Metamatic.
A school mate's older sister had The six wives and it was too early to prevent the damage.
However, speaking of progressive, I think the alienated way Curved Air played synths could predate some new wave styles (and don't you find the presence of violin has some resemblance with the first Ultravox formation? apart the singer looks more close to a hippie Siouxie), and even the first Kraftwerk and various Kraut rockers were born under these kind of influences.
In general there is an ingenuous way these interchanges happen that is exciting showing music living more from kitsch than from good taste so to say.

#24542 08/17/08 12:20 AM
F
feline1 Offline OP
OP Offline
F
ah now you mention it, I'm sure Irmin Schmidt of Can used to do his fair share of hocketing with the old two-finger stabbing technique. He'd also wear chainmail on stage smile
Good old Can.
I had the pleasure to join Damo Suzuki on stage a while back there on one of his impro gigs, it was marvellous fun (for us if not for the audience ;-)

#24543 08/17/08 08:16 PM
M
M
Exactly, Can was one of the names I omitted for brevity.
A live inventory of techniques sharing like this is useful for a homegrown lifelong project I have you know. It's about the idea of musical figures in new wave synthetization being acknowledged in their distinctive way like those of jazz varieties are, so to experiment academic improvisations and eventual fundraising.
I'm delighted for your lucky experience with Damo. Thanks.

#24544 08/23/08 06:46 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by feline1:I remember being slightly surprised though when I read John Barker explain that the WHOLE album was played manually - particularly the jiggerty octave bits throughout 'No-one Driving'!
I saw Apparat Organ Quartet last year and those guys are playing everything manually as well.
Check out this live performance:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WTIAvopghRg

#24545 08/30/08 11:41 PM
F
feline1 Offline OP
OP Offline
F
Wow! So unusual to see a band actually all playing stuff with their fingers like that!
Transformed it from being a really naff cheesy retro thing into something really quite exciting! cool

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.