Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
I've been waiting for someone to start a thread discussing this passage - so here it is!

First off, must say well done to Rob for getting this exclusive piece, and a big thankyou for posting it here cool

So many song titles growing in there, which again shows that John's narrative writing is the source of much of his lyrics.
Is this what ultimately became Tiny Colour Movies??

I'm wondering when it was written, but its interesting that we don't need to know to understand it.
I love the notion that time is not linear, and moves around us all at different rates so that the past becomes indistinguishable the future, and vice versa.
Instead, it moves more like Smoke…

Ah, well. Maybe. Though?
I guess. Is that so? I see…

Thanks again Rob. Nice one! wink

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
H
H
Have to say I didn't really like that extract; it reads a bit like a parody, almost as if we'd told to to write a collective pastiche of John's work and this was what we came up with.

That said, I genuinely love all of the other extracts (apart from the wierd Frankenstein one where the father creates his own son) and I look forward to the eventually publication of the book. It was meant to be published in 1982 - a mere 25 years ago!

Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
Quote:
Originally posted by Herbert the turbot:
Have to say I didn't really like that extract; it reads a bit like a parody, almost as if we'd told to to write a collective pastiche of John's work and this was what we came up with.
That's one reason I feel this is a more recent piece, and not an extract from the original?

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
C
C
Yeah! I agree with Birdsong it does feel that he has recently written it. These are signs that John is making an attempt to complete the novel. Although there were indications in the press that The Quiet Man novel was finished and ready for release back in 1982, we know already that John likes to polish up his art until the very date of release. Keep it going John as everything you have released so far has been A1.

Chris C wink

C
C
It's interesting stuff, characteristically cinematic, - his writing is disjointed, and his focus suddenly shifts from one random scene or feeling to another, reminds me of the way I make notes of a dream I've just had, trying to collect them like butterflies before they flutter away, without bothering to conjoin them in any sense-making way.
I think these are his dreams.
Nice stuff John.

When you listen to the interviews with John on the ‘Sideways/Hidden Man’ CDs – this stuff starts to make so much sense. The Joycean stream-of-consciousness style, just reads as very autobiographical now. Wonder when he’ll incorporate ‘Robot Monster!’

This is going to get me some flak I know – but part of me (just a little part of me) doesn’t want him to complete the novel! I like these mysterious transmissions and the subtle change of style over the years slowly unfolding – sometimes the journey is better than the destination.

Garry

A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quote:
Originally posted by RadioBeach:
I like these mysterious transmissions and the subtle change of style over the years slowly unfolding – sometimes the journey is better than the destination.
very true , garry ... also because "the way is the aim !" , as they used to say ! ;-)

I really like it a lot. Love the evocations of river swimming and the very dreamy quality.

I agree with Garry - very much enjoying these little feeds coming through....

mongrel

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.