Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
C
Chris C Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Hi all!

The other day I finally cracked the track listing of the much circulated original Japanese bootleg of the Metamatic Demos ie Metamatic Sessions. John will surely put this one to rest with his release of Metamatica, so before Metamatic Sessions fades into insignificance, here´s the track listing:

1) Quiet Man 3
2) Quiet Man 4
3) Musique D'Ameublement
4) A New Kind Of Man (alternative version 1)
5) A New Kind Of Man (alternative version 2)
6) He´s A Liquid (alternative version)
7) He´s A Liquid (instrumental)
8) Piano Piece
9) Mr No
10) Drums 1
11) Echo Piece
12) Burning Car
13) Jamie´s Theme
14) 20th Century
15) Glimmer
16) Film 1
17) Bed Flight
18) Touch & Go (strings)
19) Drums 2
20) Bed Cellar

1) and 2) are from The Touch Meridians cassettes.
3) is from the original CD version of From Brussels With Love.
4) is from the factory vinyl pressing of A New Kind Of Man single.
5) is a pointless slowed down version of 4).
6) is from the b-side of the 12" promo of Underpass.
7), 8), 10), 11), 13), 17), 18), 19) and 20)are from the cassette bootleg called The Metamatic Demos ie the unreleased The Bed Soundtrack, recorded from the original Master. The correct running order of The Bed is:

He's a Liquid (instrumental)
Piano Piece
Drums 1
Drums 2
Echo Piece
Jamie's Theme
Bed Flight
Touch & Go (strings)
Bed Cellar

9), 12), 14), 15), 16) are poorly recorded B - sides and A - side from the single vinyls.

So, in the end there is nothing Demo about these! eek

BTW Cathedral Oceans Live at Shrewsbury is proving rather difficult. :p

Chris C wink

J
J
Wow, I had no idea any of this existed. I remember reading about METAMATICA, but I assumed John had abandoned that project.

Does similar material exist for his other albums? I'd love to hear it.

I thought Metamatica was abandoned too. I hope not. That would be one CD I would HAVE to own cool

T
T
I have this on a cassette that was recorded for me almost 25 years ago.

Hi Chris,

I know you were wanting either 'metamatica' to be released in its own right or as part of a double cd re issue of 'metamatic'. And i also know about the two bootleg cdr's one of good quality demos and one of other tracks in poor quality. It would be good if these are released at some time and im sure with all the recent activity and interest John will put it out if not all, then some good quality demos finally.

C
C
I have a copy of the two CDs, am going to give the first one a listen, but haven't got 'drums 2' on my listing, and I thought Bed Cellar was called 'Red Collar'. However, thanks for filling in some of the blanks Chris.
IMHO I think it's nice that these CDs exist underground as opposed to commercially released. I would rather JF concentrate on new stuff (as he has been to great effect this year) rather than dusting off some really old stuff that (deep breath) may not actually be worth listening to. I know there's a lot of completists out there but if it came to light that John had made a demo of him brushing his teeth sampled through a synth in 1980, I don't really want to hear it.
This said, what I do like are the developing themes through John's music, and like to hear, for example ' Miles Away' and 'Running in Traffic' and all those things in between - but two second jingles? No ta
Cheers

There are more tracks than just the two cdr's talked about. From that, there are several good quality songs / demos.
For the way its of interest to see how themes develop in songs released, is the very reason unreleased tracks are of interest too.

Must track down a copy of this on e-bay. I would be in heaven hearing this.

Administrator
Administrator
Quote:
Originally posted by newvox:

For the way its of interest to see how themes develop in songs released, is the very reason unreleased tracks are of interest too.
Absolutely. The recordings of the US tour in 1979 for instance show the development of Touch and Go. Some of them are a bit ropey, though, of interest really for this reason only to hardcore fans.
Talking of which…

QUOTE]Originally posted by newvox:
There are more tracks than just the two cdr's talked about. From that, there are several good quality songs / demos.
[/QUOTE]

My ears pricked up when I read this..
Can you enlighten us on some of these?

Cheers
Mx

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
Quote:
Originally posted by Birdsong:
[QB]
QUOTE]Originally posted by newvox:
[qb] There are more tracks than just the two cdr's talked about. From that, there are several good quality songs / demos.
My ears pricked up when I read this..
Can you enlighten us on some of these?[/QUOTE]

I meant the other tracks that John has only Martin. Things are getting a bit confusing though in the boot department as people are now remixing and cleaning up the original two cdrs and putting them out as one mp3 cdr. On the other side of that, there are some recordings of released songs being 'dirty mixed' and claimed to be more demos.
All the more reason for John to finally bring out the official extras i think.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.