Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Martin, I can confirm that two of the species you mentioned are on their way back to your neck of the woods now. The Eurasian Barn Swallows and Willow Warblers that migrate down here in your winter are becoming harder and harder to find now so their migration has probably already started. Our 'indicator bird' for seasonal changes (i.e. we know summer is here when we see the first one and winter is here when we stop seeing them) is the European Bee Eater and I saw one of those this morning so summer's not officially over for us yet, although things are certainly looking autumnal. Fascinating to think that the Willow Warblers you see there in Southampton could be the same ones we saw here in South Africa in December!

Alex, that's an interesting report and good to see Starlings making a comeback. When I was a kid in Central Scotland our garden was full of Starlings but when I started listing the species visiting my Edinburgh garden just before I left the UK I had only one Starling in two years (2006 - 2008).

ΤΏΤ

Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
Willow Warbler yesterday, so I guess they have made the journey!

Stringy, net one in the winter your end and send me a message... laugh

Also picked up Sand Martin and Marsh Tit yesterday which brings me up to a more than respectable 95.

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
I'm sure you're going to make it now with only five to go. And you never know when something special is going to turn up. The other day we spotted a Lesser Grey Shrike sitting on an electricity pylon near our house. Very unusual for this area, it had probably just stopped to 'refuel' on it's northward migration back to Europe. Still hearing the European Bee Eaters but they're flying higher now, which is generally a sign that they're preparing to migrate. If the cold, wet and miserable weather we've had for the past 48 hours continues I think they'd best get a move on!

95 down, 5 to go - a real nailbiting finish!

ΤΏΤ

P.S. Birdlife South Africa's choice of bird of the year for 2011 is something you should recognise:

http://www.birdlife.org.za/page/5319/national_bird_week/

This means we've actually seen this year's choice. Last year it was the Lesser Flamingo and we didn't see any. The year before it was the Cape Robin Chat which you see everywhere.

Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
Quote:
Originally posted by Stringy Bob:
Birdlife South Africa's choice of bird of the year for 2011 is something you should recognise:

http://www.birdlife.org.za/page/5319/national_bird_week/
Should be number 97 if it all goes to plan...
(Wheatear down for 96?)

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
Never saw a Wheatear when I lived in the UK, which species do you get over there? We've seen two species here so far, Mountain Wheatear and Capped Wheatear but I don't know if either of those is the same one you guys have over there. I suspect it's the one listed in Roberts Birds Of Southern Africa as Northern Wheatear, which is a very rare vagrant to these parts. There have only ever been 5 sightings in South Africa so you're more likely to see it than I am!

Just read your latest blog entry, Martin - congratulations on the Red Kite, a stunning bird to get anywhere, any time. And you're right about keeping your eye on the sky too, you just never know what's going to come along. Over here, it's telephone poles you need to keep your eye on because raptors love them! At least four raptors on our list were first spotted at the side of the road on telephone poles, including the rare and very elusive Southern Banded Snake Eagle. There are people here with 600+ species on their South Africa list who haven't yet seen this bird. We weren't even looking for it, just driving from Cape Vidal to St.Lucia when I saw this brown blob on a telephone pole so I slammed on the brakes and got out of the car. It just sat there wondering what all the fuss was about and let me take lots of good photos.

Keep 'em peeled, 100 is just around the corner!

ΤΏΤ

Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
Cooool - what a great picture!!

Smart bird too of course. And thanks for the story - I've had moments like that.

I've been out this morning from 0600 to 1400 walking bl**dy miles along the river that runs past my house.

Barn Swallow (Hirundo rustica) for 98 and then a Bar-tailed Godwit (Limosa lapponica) for 99...

Think I might open a book for wagers on the next bird, but Northern Wheatear (Oenanthe oenanthe) has to be the favourite.

I learned last night that 108 species have been seen in Southampton this year, and the first person to reach 100 got there on Saturday... frown
Still, I never said I'd be first.
Amazingly, the list for the city currently stands at 220!!

It's always fun wondering what the 'milestone' bird will be. It could be something wildly exotic or something plain and ordinary. Glad to see the Barn Swallows made it though. Strangely enough, we thought all our swallows had left then this morning a group of about 6 Greater Striped Swallows was swooping over our house. They only migrate within Africa but we hadn't seen one for ages and assumed they had gone north already. I guess birds have their own timetables!

Anyway, I'll wager a bag of crisps and a bottle of Tizer on Northern Wheatear. Any takers for Andean Condor at 17,000,000 - 1? Mind you, from what you said, Black Stork is a definite maybe, that would be a cool bird to get for the magic 100 methinks.

ΤΏΤ

P.S. Our 300th was a Bank Cormorant, seen on Nelson Mandela's former home, Robben Island.

The RSPB are currently offering a free CD of birdsong and bird sounds.

Relax, identify your garden birds and drive the cat insane all in one go!

Coincidentally, we currently have two nests. The first being a House Martin's next under the eaves. it's been a pleasure to watch them build, and as it's next to my office room window, I can hear them twittering away and arguing over who gets the biggest worm for dinner.

The other nest is a surprising discovery. The Forsythia bush in our back garden wasn't trimmed quite enough in the spring, and following last month's rain, the whole thing has drooped and is stuck in a hanging down position. The other day I was about to go and shorten the branches (thus enabling them to rise back up again) when I found in the middle of it, a perfect bird's next - complete with feathery occupant, staring angrily out at me.

Needless to say, the bush hasn't and isn't going to be trimmed until further notice. That said I'm hoping the weather doesn't play a part in blowing it out or anything, but it's a lovely sight to behold. I looked at it through the branches yesterday and saw a load of tail feathers sticking out of it.

First of all, congratulations Martin on reaching the magic 100. Since it happened while this forum was incommunicado I had to offer my congrats on your blog page so it's nice to be able to post here now. A great achievement, well done.

Alex, sorry to be a smart-@rse but Housemartins are aerial feeders so unless you have flying worms where you live they're squabbling over who gets the fattest insect. Hats off to you though for not trimming the bush while the birds are nesting in it. I wish more people would show such consideration for our feathered friends. Kudos for that!

ΤΏΤ

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.