Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
#21285 09/14/10 01:25 PM
Imdb says it was Paddy Kingsland,may have sounded very Kraftwerky or may have been the end titles.There was a thread somewhere on here about earliest electronic music memories where it was discussed.

#21286 09/14/10 01:38 PM
C
OP Offline
C
excuse the diversion from Robot's, but I must answer the Sky call!

Quote:
Originally posted by MemberD:
It's really weird but I honestly think I'd forgotten about Sky til this very day, although he/it has obviously remained in some dark and dusty corner of my sub-conscious!
Ta much for the link to the article.

Looking at that photo of the golden Sky on the Lost Gems link he really looks contemporary in a Manga style, mask-like face, appealing eyes, flowing leonine hair, asexual look. There’s something blatantly renaissance period about him also, (it's a look similar to Tadzio in Visconti’s ’71 film Death In Venice).
I wonder how much Sky’s visage unwittingly influenced the pubescent Diana Francis Spencer, Green Gartsides big hair period, and Siegfried and Roy the Las Vegas Lion Tamers… laugh or maybe not!

He probably haunted my childhood subconcious deep down in the brain basement, as the show certainly had something of a surreal air about it, with its mix of post armageddon fantasy, alien encounter and mythological elements, and all arriving in the post flower-child years that it was transmitted during, and speaking of hippies:

”Sky is perhaps the most obvious example of a kids' show written by people on drugs”

"Whether it was magic mushrooms, LSD or even peyote, TV writers were knocking back quite extravagant amounts of not quite illegal substances, giving them a new view on reality, writing and the creative process”

True or not? The same has been said of Disney’s Fantasia, and its completely untrue, its just “pure imagination”, as Willy Wonka sings.

I love the comment that Sky is almost like avant garde theatre of the time, not that I’d pay to see any of that, but now I know where Ghost Box get all their hilarious film ideas from, (that was a cruel one on my part, I deserve a rap on the knuckles, ouch! laugh )

#21287 09/14/10 02:24 PM
OK....continuing on the Sky under-thread..

yes, the drugs reference made me think a bit but then the author adds at the end:
Quote:
** For legal reasons, I'd like to point out that they weren't. I was just making that up. It's not true
so we'd better put that in too!
He also mentions how the 'naked under the overcoat' look may have influenced Captain Jack in Torchwood/Who, although actually that glossy DVD cover made me think of the more recent 'Twilight' posters/covers with a weird, slightly asexual guy with funny eyes surrounded by 'normal' kids..

Ok..back to robots???

#21288 09/14/10 03:02 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Brian:
[b]
The Changes,yes,is that the one that had Autobahn as the theme tune?
eh? really? eek

The first episode was called "The Noise" tho' .. [/b]
Oh yes - everyone is afraid (or just against) machinery all of a sudden. Or something like that?

#21289 09/14/10 03:28 PM
Yup! . .it's on youtube so watch it .. if you dare!

#21290 09/22/10 08:58 AM
C
OP Offline
C
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex S:
For the purely "Robot" aspect, then I would say without a doubt my choice would be Yul Brynner's Gunslinger from Westworld, one of my all-time favourite SF movies, and Maximillian from The Black Hole
That classic moment in the repair workshop when his face is removed revealing his inner mechanical structure was quite a remarkable moment back at the time.

Did you know (you most likely do) that there is going to be a sequel to the Black Hole eek

Re: the New Daleks -
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex S:
Oh they already exist! They look just like the ones on telly - which considering they just looked like big toys, comes as no surprise!
Saw a red one (two sizes) in the window of Forbidden Planet last night, they were extremely unremarkable. I was expecting something with a lot more pop and zing to it, they sure aint Andy Warhol, more like Andy Capp.

Quote:
Originally posted by the church puddle:
Bender from Futurama!
Was watching the Beast With A Billion Backs episodes on Sky at the weekend there, I completely agree that Bender is the best ever 2D mechanical comedian, and might I also nominate Calculon as the best pompous tin head.

#21291 09/22/10 02:31 PM
Quote:
and might I also nominate Calculon as the best pompous tin head.
My favourite quote from Calculon goes thus:

"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"

Ô¿Ô

#21292 09/22/10 05:20 PM
C
OP Offline
C
Quote:
Originally posted by Stringy Bob:
Quote:
[b] and might I also nominate Calculon as the best pompous tin head.
My favourite quote from Calculon goes thus:

"I was all of history's great acting robots: Acting Unit 0.8, Thespo-mat, David Duchovny!"

Ô¿Ô [/b]
It is not a widely known fact outside of the inhabited universes, or even in downtown Hollywood, but Calculon suffered from a fluctuation in his synapse concordumator, causing a failure of 0.415 nanoseconds during his recollection of his robot performance credits, and thus he forgot to add Keanu Reeves to the list as his greatest acting achievement smile

#21293 09/23/10 03:34 PM

#21294 09/23/10 04:37 PM
M
M
Quote:
Dee D Jackson & friend .. 1978
laugh
A classic electro-disco track. Love it to bits. cool

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.