Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#1955 12/27/06 12:31 AM
H
OP Offline
H
An old timer here, veteran of the Foxx / Ultravox years, saw them live a number of times - waited -

oh how we waited -

for live shows when Metamatic was released, none came frown . Had to wait for The Golden Section in 83 to see JF step out live again - I was at The Hacienda show : great gig, awful venue [IMO]

Gonna stick my neck out wink :

I think the song material JF is doing now is his best ever. From Trash and Sideways are two superb albums.

I confess that the Cathedral Oceans material is not my cup of Earl Grey - c'est la vie

This years shows have been fantastic, York Fibbers was great, and by pure chance I was in Coventry the day of the show there and that was a cracking gig.

I wonder why "The Pleasure Of Electricity" seems to get overlooked in the Foxx discussions, even JF himself seems to let it slide with only Nightlife making an appearance live, [in the guise of the "Live From A Room As Big As A City" version], even on the 2003 shows [the one I was at] it was left out completely. But thats just a small quibble... smile

How long before JF releases the excellent versions of Slow Motion / The Man Who Dies Every Day and Walk Away he and LG performed this year in the live sets ?

oh and another quibble, regarding T shirts, for those of us with a less than sveldt shape, even the L sizes are too small - how about some XXXL for those of us with an abiding passion for pasties or just large by way of genes ? laugh

great to see Metamatic with a forum,

and happy holidays and a great new year to you all.

#1956 12/28/06 06:30 PM
Welcome here in John's home! smile

#1957 12/28/06 07:37 PM
Greetings from New York!

#1958 12/29/06 04:35 PM
Hi and welcome.....

#1959 12/29/06 04:39 PM
J
J
Quote:
Originally posted by harmonicaman:
I think the song material JF is doing now is his best ever. From Trash and Sideways are two superb albums.
I tend to agree. John's muse has never been so...museful. I hope he keeps up the momentum for years to come. I've become accustomed to a new John Foxx album once every four months.

#1960 08/18/07 10:27 AM
B
B
Hi harmonicaman, I was at that Hacienda gig too.

It was a long time ago now, but I remember: banks of brilliant white lights; it wasn't that full; nicking album cover artwork on the way out of there; ears ringing for days after.

And I'm pretty sure New Order played a few tracks beforehand. I remember Gillian on synth. This ring any bells?

#1961 08/18/07 05:18 PM
Hi Harmonicaman!

Welcome to the Forum!

Sarah laugh

#1962 08/18/07 06:07 PM
Administrator
Administrator
Greetings from me too.

I regret not being aware of Ultravox when John was at the helm, but I have more than made up for that since.

I'd have to agree that the music John is making now is his best - but hasn't that always been the case? cool
For me, its well known that I am firmly IN the Cathedral Oceans camp - this and Tiny Colour Movies seem to encapsulate everything he has been moving towards for thirty years.

Welcome to the forum - may you find good friends here

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#1963 08/21/07 11:30 AM
Hi Harmonicaman and welcome to the Forum!

#1964 08/21/07 11:54 AM
The Archive
The Archive
Hi there harmonicaman - welcome to The Forum... wink

Quote:
Originally posted by harmonicaman:
An old timer here, veteran of the Foxx / Ultravox years, saw them live a number of times - waited - oh how we waited - for live shows when Metamatic was released, none came frown . Had to wait for The Golden Section in 83 to see JF step out live again - I was at The Hacienda show : great gig, awful venue [IMO]
Unfortunately, I didn't manage to see John live until 1997 at The Brook in Southampton, and so I'm particularly interested when someone says that they saw the original line-up of Ultravox!

Rob

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.