Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#19582 03/30/09 07:22 AM
MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline
French composer and musician Maurice Jarre has died at his Los Angeles home aged 84.
Jarre composed soundtracks and themes for many films including Doctor Zhivago, Lawrence of Arabia and, more recently, Dead Poets Society, for which he won a British Academy Award, and Ghost.

If the surname rings a bell then Maurice was in fact father of electronic music pioneer Jean-Michel Jarre.

Maurice Jarre \'greatest hits\' film scores

#19583 03/30/09 08:46 AM
I remember reading something recently that Jarre had been ill for some time, and in recent years he and Jean Michel had rekindled their father/son relationship after some estrangement.

Sad news, but he was a grand old age with some monumental scores under his belt, that will last forever.

#19584 03/30/09 05:53 PM
The scope & body of his work was huge & he will be sorely missed.

Wished I got to see him when I had the chance a few years back (this belongs in another thread wink )

His soundtrack for Mosquito Coast from the 80s is what had a big influence on me musically.

Brian

#19585 03/31/09 12:56 PM
c23 Offline
I too am saddened by this news. I have enjoyed Maurice Jarre for many years, and indeed he will be greatly missed. To this day, his soundtrack for "The Year of Living Dangerously" is one of the most beautiful and haunting soundtracks i own. Rest easy old friend.

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.