Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 2 1 2
OP Offline
Thanks guys for the excellent feedback on the CD & review.

Gary
Gary Hunter Myspace Page

Quote:
Originally posted by H:
Thanks for the advice Brian. Looks like I only need to get a keyboard or some pc software to get started as I have the pc and the audacity (ha, ha!) to do it

Now, if I can just get myself from behind the lens, I can get going!

All the best

H smile
Go for it!

I only started making my own music in 2006 and had never tried before. All I have is a midi keyboard and my iMac with Garageband.

Quote:
Originally posted by H:
Thanks for the advice Brian. Looks like I only need to get a keyboard or some pc software to get started as I have the pc and the audacity (ha, ha!) to do it

Now, if I can just get myself from behind the lens, I can get going!

All the best

H smile
H

Magazines such as Computer Music give away whole packages of soft synths, sequencers, drum machines etc every month on a CD which will help to get you started if you plan on just using the computer.

H Offline
Thanks guys!

H smile

T
T
I've been playing this a couple more times:

My favourite tracks are the instrumentals, especially the ambient ones by The Glimmer Room and The Mateyblokes (really wasn't expecting that from a band called The Mateyblokes!). I also highly rate The Light Dreams track. And I just love that beat on Louis Gordon's track (bossa nova, is it?) which has made many an appearance since JM Jarre first (?) used it on Oxygene.

Of the vocal tracks, I think the Future Daze track stands out, I like the speed changes as if the Oxygen is somewhat in short supply. I was reminded of a movie where two bank employees were locked in a vault over Bank Holiday weekend. Slight romantic subtext, with the dilemma of them making the effort to escape versus conserving the remaining air. The panic and emotion, and the calm resignation.

Is that Phil Oakey singing on Better Strangers' track? Neuvogue is very Human League/Soft Cell. I like both of these very much. I also liked Anne Clark's track - the style was somewhat unexpected having only previously experienced Pressure Points. But I suppose that was over 20 years ago ...

I don't think there are any tracks I don't like on this CD, so well done to all.

Glad you like my track smile

I've played this CD a lot - probably to melting point!

Out of all of them, my very favourites are "Stranger In Your House" by Paul Berry and Louis' track. I think "Move Through Grey" has the strongest Foxxien sound, style and atmosphere - but I'm not saying that because he's Louis and works with John, but looking at it as a track by Louis the solo artist, and Louis the fan of John Foxx, inspired by his music.

Another track that has a very distinctive Foxx sound and style is Gary Hunter's song, which also echoes early DM, which is cool.

Quote:
Originally posted by the church puddle:
I've been playing this a couple more times:

My favourite tracks are the instrumentals, especially the ambient ones by The Glimmer Room and The Mateyblokes (really wasn't expecting that from a band called The Mateyblokes!). I also highly rate The Light Dreams track. And I just love that beat on Louis Gordon's track (bossa nova, is it?) which has made many an appearance since JM Jarre first (?) used it on Oxygene.

Of the vocal tracks, I think the Future Daze track stands out, I like the speed changes as if the Oxygen is somewhat in short supply. I was reminded of a movie where two bank employees were locked in a vault over Bank Holiday weekend. Slight romantic subtext, with the dilemma of them making the effort to escape versus conserving the remaining air. The panic and emotion, and the calm resignation.

Is that Phil Oakey singing on Better Strangers' track? Neuvogue is very Human League/Soft Cell. I like both of these very much. I also liked Anne Clark's track - the style was somewhat unexpected having only previously experienced Pressure Points. But I suppose that was over 20 years ago ...

I don't think there are any tracks I don't like on this CD, so well done to all.
Glad you like my track Mr Puddle.

Yup The Mateyblokes is a strange name.It should have been just Mateybloke since Kerry has not contributed to anything for quite a while.

I have played the CD an awful lot.Stanger in Your House & Alex's track get stuck in my head too often to the point that I have to stop listening to the album. wink

Brian

The Mateybloke(s) track works really well in its positioning in the tracklist. A lot of thought and care has gone into making this CD really something special - and it certainly is.

And there's a great sense of 'group effort' since there are several of us from this forum on there too, which is really nice.

OP Offline
Hi Alex glad you liked my track "Stranger In A Room"!

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex S:
Glad you like my track smile

I've played this CD a lot - probably to melting point!

Out of all of them, my very favourites are "Stranger In Your House" by Paul Berry and Louis' track. I think "Move Through Grey" has the strongest Foxxien sound, style and atmosphere - but I'm not saying that because he's Louis and works with John, but looking at it as a track by Louis the solo artist, and Louis the fan of John Foxx, inspired by his music.

Another track that has a very distinctive Foxx sound and style is Gary Hunter's song, which also echoes early DM, which is cool.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.