Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#17313 05/25/08 01:45 PM
For me the key to Bowie has always been hes ability to not just change musical direction. Often becoming the best, if not the only one in each 'field'. The actor never really cracks. wink

#17314 05/25/08 07:35 PM
my faves:

1. heroes
2. low
3. ziggy stardust
4. space oddity
5. scary monsters

#17315 05/26/08 03:26 PM
Wow, its hard to choose just five from Bowies vast catalogue, but if on a desert island i would take these eight. (in no order) -

The Man Who Sold The World
Low
Ziggy Stardust
Aladdine Sane
Hunky Dory
Lodger
Diamond Dogs
Scary Monsters

#17316 05/26/08 03:46 PM
Assuming David is working on new material, this is the longest gap between Bowie albums to date.

I hope he will release something new, but something significantly different to his last album. He did remark a couple of years back that he was 'bored' with he music scene.

#17317 05/27/08 10:09 AM
B
B
I don't think David is doing anything. I think he is settling just being a dad, which isn't a bad thing to be as I am one. I applaud him for being a hand's on dad, which I gather he has become.

From reading a recent article, it appears he hates his daughter's musical taste, which sounds like David. Maybe, the disgust for all that Hanna Montana stuff will make him do a new cd at one point.

Blue P

#17318 06/05/08 11:58 AM
MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline
Sirs,
Having picked up a cheapo copy of Philip Glass's 'Heroes Symphony' on the weekend (played by the Bournemouth Symphony Orchestra, no less) I was wondering what other Bowie-ites, or even classical-ites make of this 'interpretation'of Bowie's album or indeed of the 'Low Symphony' which I have yet to hear.

#17319 06/05/08 12:59 PM
I've never heard it! I was always curious about that one.

I think there might be a track from it on Bowie's All Saints instrumental compilation, which I do have... I'll have to give it a whirl...

#17320 06/05/08 11:24 PM
I've got a double cd with the Low and the "Heroes" symphony on it. The Low symphony sounds slightly different. In terms of listening experience it reminded me of Brian Eno's Discreet Music.
Mmm ... cool

#17321 06/07/08 08:26 AM
C
C
David Bowie is an icon and the main influence on 80s music. David is up there with Elvis, the Beatles, the Stones, Elton John etc.

David joined the elite after the release of Let's Dance and the Serious Moonlight Tour. Behind him he had, what I call "the RCA works of art". A catalogue of one of the most impressive (pop) songs ever created. Most people acknowledge that "the 70s belonged to Bowie".

It's difficult to point out, well for me personally, which is his best album. But throught his career, Let's Dance aside, his high points have been with the song Space Oddity,the seed having been sown with his mime group Feathers, the creation of Ziggy Stardust, his suave image on the plastic soul Young Americans,his elegance on Station to Stationand his innovative self, making him a pioneer of electronic music, that is, there was no The Man To Fell To Earth soundtrack but there was Low...New Wave!

Ok my favourite song of his is Heroes . It was the Christianne F movie's closing titles that made me buy my first record of Bowie, the compilation Fame and Fashionback in 1984. It was at the time when RCA was re-releasing his back catalogue following the phenomenal success of Let's Dance. That also helped promote the artist even further.

The clip to those closing titles has been removed from Youtube but here is the excellent official video of the song:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=NEVNoYFpLps

Chris wink

#17322 06/09/08 11:51 AM
Always considered myself no more than a casual Bowie fan. That said I do own most of his albums. Favourites would be Station to Station, Scary Monsters and Aladdin Sane.

Managed to catch him live for the first time on the Reality Tour in Dublin (the one that was filmed and released on DVD). Spectacular gig with a fantastic atmosphere.

Would like to see him release more stuff but he seems to have taken a significant step back since his health scare a couple of years back.

Page 2 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.