Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 38 1 2 3 4 37 38
#16357 03/31/08 09:53 AM
What a great idea for a thread!

Over the last week I've watched 'Goodbye Lenin!', 'The Lives of Others' and 'Pans Labyrinth'. All very good films but the one that still haunts me is 'The Lives of Others'.

I was given the Luis Buñuel box-set a while back, so I'm still getting through that and Season 2 of The Sweeney - "Shut it!" etc etc

#16358 03/31/08 05:28 PM
C
C
Cold Warning by Gary Numan. It's a great concert and all the tracks are well performed. The Berserker Tour was Gary's best come-back.

Kompendium by Wolfsheim. Possibly the best of the recent synth bands to use digital synths. The concert is from the Spectators Tour and is nothing out of the blue but there are some good songs in there. Some of their work can be quite repetitive. Their videos have been added to this DVD plus an exclusive interview with the band members. They dismiss the retro 80s sound calling it "ghastly", which I totally disagree. Wolfsheim are no more and are now involved in some court battle, which is a sad end to a very productive career.

The Man Who Fell To Earth starring David Bowie . Nicolas Roeg was looking for a performer rather than an actor for the role of the alien. After watching the BBC documentary Cracked Actor he found his alien. He even recreated a similar scene at the back of the limo for the movie. Critics mention that David was not acting but playing himself. Anyhow, David's performance was outstanding making the film a classic. The film as a whole turned out to be one of the best of its genre. The screenplay and the whole production was ahead of its time. Water was the main theme of the movie and it even predicted Global Warming!

Chris wink

#16359 03/31/08 06:13 PM
I watched TMWFTE just the other week. Was the first time I'd seen it in many years.

Aside from the un-necessaary shots of Bowie's genitals, I really enjoyed this film more than I had on previous occasions. It was the perfect role for Bowie at that time, and he barely had to act.

(Have you been reading Bowie in Berlin, by any chance?... wink )

#16360 04/01/08 10:09 AM
Finally get round to seeing 'Control' - the Ian Curtis story directed by A. Corbijn.

I'd like to hear what anyone else thought of it cos I was a bit disappointed although the music / singing is done very well.

#16361 04/02/08 04:43 PM
C
C
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex S:

(Have you been reading Bowie in Berlin, by any chance?... wink )
Yes I have. It's a well presented book and an interesting read of course. Ties in very well with the movie TMWFTE. There's a chapter on the film and life in Los Angeles before he went to France to record The Idiot and then Low and finally settling in Berlin with Iggy and his PA Coco.

Another film from the period is the aptly titled Just A Gigolo. I wonder if there is a recently re-released version of this film.

Chris wink

#16362 04/04/08 01:26 PM
Been watching the two series of Life on Mars on DVD. Missed it on TV so enjoying catching up. The downside is that I've had to pretty much avoid Ashes to Ashes on the box. Wanted to see everything in the right order so will probably have to wait for that to appear on DVD as well.

#16363 04/28/08 12:20 PM
A dvd of the Best of ABC.

#16364 04/28/08 12:27 PM
Monty Python's Flying Circus - completed series 1 & 2, just started the third...

#16365 04/28/08 01:09 PM
Gary Numan - 'Jagged Live'

My thoughts are 50/50 on this one.

#16366 05/01/08 10:53 AM
F
F
As a lover of b-grade movies i decided to have a look at Doomsday.
Starts with the lead roles having a go at Sigue Sigue Sputnik and then morphs into Mad Max in Scotland.
The only good thing about it is Rhona Mitra and Adam & the Ants "Dog eat Dog" somewhere in the middle.

It's like a McDonalds meal, it fills but doesn't make the hunger go away wink
5 out of 10

Page 2 of 38 1 2 3 4 37 38

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.