Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 13 14
#1569 01/06/11 09:31 AM
It's not to my taste at all, although I do like the idea of something colourful and simplistic; it makes a change.

Maybe it's that heart shape that puts me off - once you see it, it's all you see.

However it certainly is very different to any other Foxx album or what I was expecting – and I maybe the way it is printed/finished will play a big part in its overall impact. Unless it's just printed in CMYK on bog standard paper, which would be so incredibly drab for such a colourful piece.

I suppose the blending 'interplay' of the colours are representative of many a Foxx lyric. I can imagine it looking quite iconic and standing out on the shelves... if there are any music shops left by the time it comes out!

At least it feels fresh and new... and retro at the same time.

#1570 01/06/11 09:43 AM
C
C
Quote:
Originally posted by Lele:
it reminds me of a company ID that you would see on boxed reams of paper or in the corner of an energy corporation's magazine ad. As far as selling music or piquing my curiosity, it would not call out enticingly to me from a sales rack if I didn't know anything about it beforehand.
laugh

Its interesting the effect that its having Lele.

Whereas it might look like an easily arrived at image produced by a cheap software program, purporting to represent something - and I can see that - I think that very quality about it is a typical and acceptable design hook.

It's reminiscent of a 50's or 60's animated public information or scientific promotional film, thus tying in with Barnbrooks established use of retro media imagery. There is an air of mystery about it in a playful way, its not deep of course, but its certainly enough to draw me in

I'm enjoying the fact that we've moved away a notch from the mostly monochrome look that's become something of an identity for John's covers. Of course Interplays 'colour divided shell company style logo' is still on a black background, but never mind, maybe Interplay 2 will end up with a garish neon colour, just like those tacky 'sale' price cut-outs with the pointy edges that used to block out supermarket windows once upon a time eek laugh

#1571 01/06/11 09:59 AM
Maybe Johnathan can tell us a bit about the brief for this project - I'd be curious to hear that smile

#1572 01/06/11 10:49 AM

That'll make a great T-shirt..

#1573 01/06/11 11:07 AM
Usually, I get the pre-order message from Townsend BEFORE the blog posting..
Come on guys - get yer finger out!

#1574 01/06/11 11:10 AM
Administrator
Administrator
For me, it really does say 'interplay' and connectivity.

This kind of 'diagrammatic' visual represents a lot of aspects of John's career in the way I see it.
Albums, projects and ideas all linking together, overlapping and standing alone, creating interesting and innovative 'colours' where they overlap and merge with one another.

On a wider context too, you could put John Foxx in the yellow central space, and surround him with different musical genres and influences.

It's a very analogue idea too (like Brian's ATV logo analogy), which fits nicely with the whole concept of The 'Maths'. Mathematics into art

Look at the graphic device/logo for this website... METAMATIC.

I think the cover artwork is very cool indeed and well thought out.

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#1575 01/06/11 11:28 AM
Hmm. New Order. Power Corruption and Lies.. (inner sleeve)
or Blue Monday 12" (original release)
Peter Saville

#1576 01/06/11 01:57 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Birdsong:
For me, it really does say 'interplay' and connectivity.

This kind of 'diagrammatic' visual represents a lot of aspects of John's career in the way I see it.
Albums, projects and ideas all linking together, overlapping and standing alone, creating interesting and innovative 'colours' where they overlap and merge with one another.

On a wider context too, you could put John Foxx in the yellow central space, and surround him with different musical genres and influences.

It's a very analogue idea too (like Brian's ATV logo analogy), which fits nicely with the whole concept of The Maths.

Look at the graphic device/logo for this website... METAMATIC.

I think the cover artwork is very cool indeed and well thought out.
Totally agree with Martin on this one.It's just 4 ellipses overlaid in colours.Venn diagrams were part of my old school Maths lessons.
Colours Interplay.

Does exactly what it says on the tin. cool

It's brilliant simplicity.

God help the colour blind though... eek

Brian

#1577 01/06/11 02:28 PM
You can find those kind of artwork on some covers of other CD's too. I guess it's modern.
But it's not my taste.

I'm sure the music on Interplay is great. This is much more important for me.

#1578 01/06/11 03:04 PM
C
C
The cover fits in with the article in Sunday Times Style mag this week, which references Barnbrook and John - have started a thread in John Foxx section for more info (Martin - this will interest you I know!)
Cheers

Page 3 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 13 14

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.