Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 14 of 14 1 2 12 13 14
#1679 02/24/11 09:46 PM
T
T
Four star review in Mojo and three stars in Q. What's great about these reviews is that they have appeared ahead of the album's release instead of several weeks/months later as would often be the case. Who knows - JF back in the album charts?

#1680 03/02/11 06:52 PM
T
T
A very positive review of Interplay.

http://www.allgigs.co.uk/view/review/5523/John_Foxx_Interplay_Ft_The_Maths_Album_Review.html

I'm all a-tingle with anticipation. Roll on the 21st!

#1681 03/03/11 11:31 AM
Administrator
Administrator
Paul Pledger is a good reviewer, and has written quite a few glowing pieces on previous Foxx albums.

Worth searching his archive if you have time an inclination

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#1682 03/03/11 12:33 PM
It's great that all the reviews thus far have been so positive and enthusiastic. However, it is slightly - no, very frustrating that these are just the kid of reviews that Foxx should have been getting in 2006 with From Trash and Sideways.

Oh well, better late than never I suppose. But the first Interplay reviewer to use the words "come back" should be sacked. It's bound to happen...

#1683 03/03/11 07:16 PM
C
C
Quote:
Originally posted by Birdsong:
Paul Pledger is a good reviewer, and has written quite a few glowing pieces on previous Foxx albums. Worth searching his archive if you have time an inclination
Hadn’t the time, but I did find the inclination!

A cheerfully thumbs-up review of Interplay in the lead-up to its release, and worthwhile reading all else that Paul has written, again, all very balanced and concise, even if one does not agree on every aspect: -

MLC – “Pretty music without being twee although it can border on Enya without the Enya if you know what I mean (Holywell Lane)”
Interesting how we all see things differently, I would not describe My Lost City as ‘pretty’, I’d say that it was Mirrorball that bordered in places on the pretty, but thankfully without the Enya flourishes.

TGS – “Zeus B Held was drafted in to polish up the rough edges and add a dynamism missing from The Garden"
What! The Garden a less dynamic album than The Golden Section?

IMW - "Shine On should definitely have been a single though - sublime melodies and vocals with a simplistic arrangement. Instead the rather cumbersome Stars On Fire led the promotion”
What! Stars On Fire cumbersome! And the somewhat saccharine Shine On as the lead single!

Anyway, that's enough of my nitpicking laugh Paul’s certainly taken John’s work to heart, refreshingly enthusiastic, and clearly a fan, and coming back to Interplay, its interesting what he says about Destination (which I also had some reservations about):-

"I seem to have forgotten the preceding single "Destination" with its resplendent shower of synths, although for once the mix on the album doesn't justify the sparkling music. A slight re-jig may unearth a classic but overall, this is an essential taste of what two innovators can achieve, given plenty of studio-time”

#1684 03/06/11 12:40 AM
Administrator
Administrator
Please note that this topic has been moved to the new JOHN FOXX category.

It now resides in the John Foxx and The Maths forum, and all replies should be posted there.

This topic here (now a copy) will soon be closed.

I have also re-titled the topic to Interplay because we had two topics of the same name.

Mx

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#1685 03/07/11 10:32 AM
Some excellent administrator-ing here and there Martin .. liking the new "blood" around here.
wink

Page 14 of 14 1 2 12 13 14

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.