Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11
Administrator
Administrator
Looking over the list of albums I got this year pretty much reflects what I felt while ago. That for me this hasn't been a year for new discoveries, but instead for consolidating and calming down.
I've been a lot more selective and less adventurous than usual. Its fair to say that Apparatus and Hand stands out for me too. Not just because its one of the only NEW things I've got all year, but because its a BRILLIANT piece of work.

I wish you every success with it Mark.

Here's my list of acquisitions, in chronological order (those in bold are the essentials)

Low - The Curtain Hits The Cast
Peter Ulrich - Pathways and Dawns
Neuphonius - Sandpaper...
Mojo - OK_Computer
Apparatus and Hand - Junk Receiver - Birdsong BRONZE award
Chris Watson - Weather Report
Edgar Froese - Epsilon in Malaysian Pale
Edgar Froese - Macula Transfer
Edgar Froese - Pinnacles
Edgar Froese - Kamikaze 1989 Soundtrack
Edgar Froese - Beyond the Storm
Steve Jansen - Slope
Louis Gordon - Goodbye Walnut Road
Louis Gordon - EST
John Foxx & Louis Gordon - Subterranean Omnidelic Exotour 1998
John Foxx & Louis Gordon - Exotour 97 EP
Bob Pearce - Making My Way Back Home
Nick Cave & The Bad Seeds - Dig,Lazarus, Dig!!! - Birdsong SILVER award
Goldfrapp - Seventh Tree - Birdsong COLD TURKEY award
Barbara - A l’Atelier
Jori Hulkkonen - Errare Machinale Est
Morrissey - Viva Hate
Morrissey - Ringleader of the Tormentors
John Foxx & Louis Gordon - Retro Future
John Foxx - A New Kind of Man
Louis Gordon - Blind Anorexic
Metamatics & Norken - My Favourite Kind of Irrelevence
Marc Almond & Michael Cashmore - Gabriel & The Lunatic Lover
Laurie Anderson - United States I - IV
Anthony and the Johnsons - Anthony and the Johnsons
Anthony and the Johnsons - I am A Bird Now
Baby Dee - Safe inside the Day - Birdsong GOLD award
Sequentia - Ordo Virtutum
Tom Waits - Asylum Years
David Byrne & Brian Eno - My Life in the Bush of Ghosts
The Velvet Underground & Nico
Tom Waits - Closing Time
Kraftwerk - Kraftwerk
Kraftwerk - Kraftwerk 2
Kraftwerk - Ralf and Florian
Soft Cell - Heat
John Foxx - Glimmer:Best Of John Foxx
John Foxx - The Garden x2CD
John Foxx - The Golden Section x2CD- Birdsong HIGHLY RECOMMENDED
John Foxx - In Mysterious Ways x2CD
John Foxx & Louis Gordon - Impossible
John Foxx & Louis Gordon - Neuro Video
John Foxx - Cinemascope

You know you're a grown up when No 97:-
You only get albums by artists you already know that you like??

My thanks to all the member so fthis forum who have contributed to the above in one way or another

Mx

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
Best album of the year:

Portishead ,Third

Not quite but nearly:

Autechre ,Quaristice

Blood Red Shoes ,Box Of Secrets

Nine Inch Nails ,Ghosts I-IV

Lykke Li ,Youth Novels

Twelve,Houston We Have No Problem 2

maryann Offline OP
OP Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Gavin:
Nine Inch Nails ,Ghosts I-IV
Have to agree with you on Ghosts, although it took me quite a while to appreciate it.

maryann Offline OP
OP Offline
And how can I forget: NIN: The Slip

Quote:
Originally posted by maryann:
Quote:
Originally posted by metal beat:
[b] It's by far the best of all Gary's live CD's
Certainly of the recent live ones. [/b]
I would say you have to go as far back as '81 for a better live show.
'Telekon Live' is IMO only bettered by the classic shows of '79-'81.

Well the only two remasters I've bought this year are 'The Anvil' and 'Dazzle Ships' - and guess which one wins laugh

The sound quality on the new edition of Dazzle Ships is stunning - 'Telegraph' sounds like I'm hearing it again for the first time.

I've never heard 'Telegraph (The Manor Version 1981)'before - fantastic! Really playful with lots of energy. I can totally understand why they had to shelve it originally - but it's great to hear them clearly having a lot of fun on this. Good to have '4-Neu' and '66 And Fading' on CD too.

I've heard that this may be the last of the OMD remasters and that there are no plans to give 'Junk Culture', 'Crush' etc the same treatment - a shame as there was still life in the band before The Pacific Age set in.

Telekon live is just fantastic. Each track has a modern twist and a heavier edge, making them sound so fresh and exciting, they could have been written yesterday. Maybe not all of Numan's vocals hit the spot, but given that he's performing songs that may have been difficult enough to sing almost 30 years ago, he does a damn fine job.

The live mix of this album is absolutely superb, and as somebody who attended the tour, I can honestly say it sounds just perfect. Telekon Live is arguably one of Numan's best live releases. and ranks alongside my favourites, White Noise and Dark Light.

To be honest, I'm not much of a fan of the Living Ornaments albums. I find there's something slightly cringeworthy about Numan's early live vocals.

Those early live recordings fail to grab me in the same way his later ones do, despite heralding from his hayday, and I find a lot of the synths sound rather comical live compared to the studio versions. Obviously he is a more accomplished vocalist and performer now, so I guess his vocals were still pretty much in their formative stage at that point, and sometimes it is clear that his stage fright would get the better of him – but this does add an element of youth and vulnerability to those old live albums.

Maybe the "problem" with the Living Ornaments albums, is that you are only getting half of the show... they really need the accompanying visual!

What those albums do give you though, is the scale of the excitement and impact surrounding Gary at that time. There's a very special atmosphere to those recordings.

But anyway - back to the point... albums of the year for me so far are Telekon Live and Mike Oldfield's Music of the Spheres.

Having got them both the same week, both CDs are battling for iPod space!!

I guess we should already include 'A New Kind Of Man' to this list. laugh

Quote:
Originally posted by RadioBeach:
[QUOTE]Originally posted by newvox:
[qb]
I know it's not everyone's favourite but I do have a soft-spot for the cassette edition mix of the 'Beat Boy' album - would love to see that cleaned up and remastered one day (along with the cassette only mixes of 'Berserker' and 'The Fury') but I reckon I'll have to stick with my own hissy attempt at mp3 conversion for now frown
While I can't help with the Beat Boy album I'm certain that the original casette versions of both Berserker and the Fury were released by Numa Records on CD. They might still be available through NuWorld, under the Numa records section as opposed to the Eagle section which is the later re-issue featuring the original, shorter, vinyl versions with bonus tracks.

Quote:
Originally posted by Priest:
Quote:
Originally posted by RadioBeach:
[b] [QUOTE]Originally posted by newvox:
[qb]
I know it's not everyone's favourite but I do have a soft-spot for the cassette edition mix of the 'Beat Boy' album - would love to see that cleaned up and remastered one day (along with the cassette only mixes of 'Berserker' and 'The Fury') but I reckon I'll have to stick with my own hissy attempt at mp3 conversion for now frown
While I can't help with the Beat Boy album I'm certain that the original casette versions of both Berserker and the Fury were released by Numa Records on CD. They might still be available through NuWorld, under the Numa records section as opposed to the Eagle section which is the later re-issue featuring the original, shorter, vinyl versions with bonus tracks. [/b]
Hi Priest (or should be High Priest wink )

Cheers! I've had a look - unfortunately the NuWorld site doesn't give you the Numa catalogue numbers - so I've no idea if it's the right one or not.

Page 11 of 11 1 2 9 10 11

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.