Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#15242 03/07/08 09:52 AM
Nice one Gaz! yes I remember the Tube performance as one big jaw dropping moment; (somewhat similar to 'Dancing' on OGWT) I was a first year uni student at the time of DS release and the TV room was always packed during The Tube on a Friday teatime, but on that particular occasion how my heroes were ridiculed! I also used to blast the whole DS album down the residence corridor and it wasn't always, er, appreciated. Thankyou for sharing that with me.

PS in the end I couldn't resist the i-tunes option and downloaded the whole album; won't put any spoilers up tho unless expressly requested! wink

#15243 03/07/08 10:09 AM
OP Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by MemberD:
PS in the end I couldn't resist the i-tunes option and downloaded the whole album; won't put any spoilers up tho unless expressly requested! wink
++SPOILERS REQUESTED++
++SPOILERS REQUESTED++
++SPOILERS REQUESTED++
++SPOILERS REQUESTED++
wink

#15244 03/07/08 10:56 AM
LOL LOL ..

well not really much to tell but just that it's no disappointment in sound quality and that's just the i-tunes format so I imagine the CD will be even better.

I'll just comment on the 'new tracks':
I was just a wee bit disappointed by the Telegraph 1981 Manor version as it is a bit of a mess both in arrangement and performance (hence why never previously released), it really sticks out like a sore thumb and shouldn't have been put straight after the traditional closer 'Of All the Things...'. Too abrupt IMHO (BTW spot which OMD song the bass line was used on some years later...)

Swiss Radio International - lives up to it's aka moniker as 'the ice cream van song' but as such I think it would have made an excellent closing track to the original LP.

So in short switch around Telegraph Manor and SRI and the CD is perfect!!!

Nice to have GE 312mm versh and the full '66 & Fading' in decent digital form at last.

Be dazzled all over again!

#15245 03/07/08 11:15 AM
OP Offline
Quote:
LOL LOL ..

well not really much to tell but just that it's no disappointment in sound quality and that's just the i-tunes format so I imagine the CD will be even better.

I was just a wee bit disappointed by the [b]Telegraph 1981 Manor version
as it is a bit of a mess both in arrangement and performance (hence why never previously released), it really sticks out like a sore thumb and shouldn't have been put straight after the traditional closer 'Of All the Things...'. Too abrupt IMHO (BTW spot which OMD song the bass line was used on some years later...)

Swiss Radio International - lives up to it's aka moniker as 'the ice cream van song' but as such I think it would have made an excellent closing track to the original LP.

So in short switch around Telegraph Manor and SRI and the CD is perfect!!!

Nice to have GE 312mm versh and the full '66 & Fading' in decent digital form at last.

Be dazzled all over again! [/b]
Cheers D! Looking forward to hearing Swiss Radio International the most

#15246 03/07/08 12:45 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by RadioBeach:
Quote:
[b] LOL LOL ..
Be dazzled all over again!
Cheers D! Looking forward to hearing Swiss Radio International the most [/b]
..just don't sneeze or cough or you'll miss it... wink

#15247 03/07/08 01:38 PM
The Archive
The Archive
Quote:

I was just a wee bit disappointed by the [b]Telegraph 1981 Manor version
as it is a bit of a mess both in arrangement and performance (hence why never previously released), it really sticks out like a sore thumb and shouldn't have been put straight after the traditional closer 'Of All the Things...'. Too abrupt IMHO (BTW spot which OMD song the bass line was used on some years later...)

Be dazzled all over again! [/b]
I must admit that I quite like Telegraph 1981 Manor version - I would've just preferred there to have been a bit of a gap between it and the end of Of All The Things We've Made. Finishing off with Swiss Radio International is perfect - it should've closed the album the first time it was released.

So far this has got my vote for being the best reissue of 2008...

Rob (being Dazzled)

#15248 03/07/08 01:53 PM
Yup that's exactly what I meant .. maybe even 4-Neu after OATTWM would've been better. The Manor Telegraph is a just a bit too .. brash. Doesn't even fit in with other 1981 OMD-ness far as I can tell. But have to listen to it a bit more. I'm stuck on the GE 312mm versh . .best hand clapping in a pop record ever.

edit. is this a Dazzle ship I see before me?
http://bp2.blogger.com/_VRJgso9Cyew/RhEiyX6e3tI/AAAAAAAABBk/mpoTA6eWDQc/s1600-h/wadsworth.jpg

#15249 03/07/08 02:23 PM
not sure if this will work but some interesting photo's on here. Well to me they are wink .
I uploaded the Saville Exhibition photo's we took but I'm not sure if you need to join (which is free) to view them.

http://www1.snapfish.co.uk/slideshow/Alb...84/t_=123887084

#15250 03/07/08 09:15 PM
Another Swiss Radio International spoiler (...sort of!) :

This Is Helvetia

#15251 03/09/08 02:16 PM
T
T
It's short, but there's just something about Swiss Radio International and it signs off the new Dazzle Ships cd perfectly.

One of my favourite subjectively eerie sounds is the chimes of a distant ice-cream van heard as the light fades on a chilly day. As a kid I compiled a collection of ice-cream van recordings, and with the antiquated equipment used and the patina of age I think these could make effective found sounds today.

Weirdo out. laugh

Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.