Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
#15232 03/03/08 05:18 PM
OP Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by MemberD:
would be lavverly guv.. (sorry just trying to get into the local lingo..) laugh
easy guv! easy! nahwotimean? Er...if you speak to Peter, Sarah, Martin or Rob you'll know that that's how I talk!

Norf Lahndun guv! Sarf ov ver river!? you mad squire!? nah one gahs sarf ov ver river!

Er back on topic...yeah Dazzle Ships - great innit? wink

#15233 03/05/08 12:10 AM
T
T
I had never heard Dazzle Ships. I only knew Genetic Engineering, which I've always liked a lot, and Telegraph, which I found a bit lightweight.

I found the enthusiam in this thread contagious, and of course, this IS a forum for people with refined taste. cool So I pre-ordered Dazzle Ships (£8.95, free p & p from 101cd) and looked forward to it keenly and optimistically. It arrived yesterday morning, which was impressively early as it was its day of release. And it really grabbed me from first play. One of those albums that is more than the sum of its parts and a superb swansong from OMD as an interesting and creative combo. Thanks guys!

I had a look at some discussion of Dazzle Ships on the OMD website forum, and members were saying that it would be a great album if it wasn't for the sound collages and radio excerpts etc. :rolleyes: Man, its those things that do so much to make the album the ear-grabbing and nigh-on unique listen it is, and it would drop from an eight and a half to a six and a half from me without them!

Oh, and I now think I've judged Telegraph too harshly all these years. It's actually a cool and off-kilter slice of celebratory pop. And the harder 1981 version of the track is a worthy bonus too.

#15234 03/05/08 06:36 PM
OP Offline
Blimey!!!!

Andy & Paul were both on regional news programme London Tonight promoting...'Dazzle Ships'! eek

I am not mad, and I'm not making this up! Before a brief chat on 'Dazzle Ships', they showed clips from Drury Lane ('Enola Gay' and another one - can't remember) then in the background, the video to 'Telegraph'

Also hinted at...I'm really not mad and I'm really not winding you up - Some Dazzle Ship shows later this year in the UK & Europe.

Once again - Blimey!

Gazza Ships

#15235 03/05/08 07:03 PM
T
T
Blimey Indeed!

Discussing a faux-naive behind-the-Iron Curtain take on the pop of a quarter of a century ago on your regional news? It's enough to make folk choke on their jellied eels guv'nor. laugh

#15236 03/06/08 08:14 AM
Video not available outside UK but for those interested I do have an mp3-recording thing in my haaaaaand ..

#15237 03/06/08 11:18 AM
OP Offline
Quote:
Video not available outside UK but for those interested I do have an mp3-recording thing in my haaaaaand ..
Mine's on paper, written and seeeeeeent...

So, a 'Dazzle Ships' tour is a possibility! Get the flags out! If they're gonna do the b-sides as well - I may have to re-consider my previous rant on retro-revival gigs.

#15238 03/06/08 11:44 AM
yeah def ... A&M was tempting but a Dazzle-tour is a must. Imagine 50,000 fans singing along: "Babies!...mother!..hospital!..scissors!"

#15239 03/06/08 12:09 PM
OP Offline
Quote:
yeah def ... A&M was tempting but a Dazzle-tour is a must. Imagine 50,000 fans singing along: "Babies!...mother!..hospital!..scissors!"
laugh heh! Yeah! And that well known little sing-a-long number about the girl whose hands were chopped off at the wrists - should be a right old knees-up! laugh

#15240 03/06/08 02:27 PM
Still debating whether to hit the 'i-tunes' button or not.. Swiss Radio International just sitting there waiting for me after all these years... grrrrr... mad

#15241 03/07/08 09:28 AM
Looks like a full blown Dazzle Ships concert has been blown out of the water wink as Paul, Mal and Martin have refused to do the semaphore flags to ABC auto industry. But Andy has hinted that the concerts would have a substantial amount of Dazzle Ships material included.

A few years back I went to the Peter Saville exhibition in London and they had the plans for the Dazzle Ships tour set on display and it really brought home how the whole scale, design and concept that flowed through everything they did at that point (The Monument tour designs were also there and it was done on a similar vain). The shows themselves were better received than the album and it was quite an experience to witness it back then. They were going to release a DVD of one of these shows but unfortunately the masters for the 2 concerts that were filmed have gone missing from Virgins archive so unless they turn up again no footage exists from this tour.

They could though put the full Tube performance on where they did ABC Auto Industry and Genetic Engineering which has to be seen to be believed. When they walk out with the flags and stuff and stand there with a backing tape playing the track you can see the audience mouth open with a 'what the F**K?' expression etched on their faces and Mal in particular is so uncomfortable it's embarrassing.

Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.