Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Quote:
Originally posted by Herbert the turbot:
I do think digital downloads is the way forward where unreleased tracks are concerned. Were the new tracks offered for download through Townsend, I’d happily pay 79p for each one, making John an extra fiver or so out of those of us who can’t see the point of buying the CDs. But as it stands, paying £22 for 6 unreleased tracks just doesn’t come across as good value for me.
That was my original point (hidden somewhere in all the moaning); I'd buy all those tracks right now, if they were available. The albums in themselves are excellent value for money in general (especially for those just discovering the album or John's work), but as you say, £22 for 6 "new" tracks, simply isn't worth, at least for us lot!

The way I listen to music has changed over the years, and sadly, it's very rare that I actually play a CD in one of those stereo things.

Sometimes a CD will go in the car, or maybe in the background if I'm spending a lot of time in the kitchen cooking up some vast concoction. But in general, it's iPod every day on the way to work and back, and when out and about - and iTunes when working, either at work or at home in my office.

One day I might actually get round to getting a small stereo for my office, but I'm perfectly happy with iTunes for that, and it takes up less room than having an abundance of actual CDs everywhere. They live in cabinets downstairs. Almost like an archive. I buy an album, import it, look at the booklet, then in it goes until who knows when.

Not sure if I disagree or agree with anyone on this! Must be the mad man in me. I just saw "Walk This Way" live version, which was my introduction to JF live after 20+ years and thought - I want that!! So, now that CD is preordered. The other....

On a separate note... I was browsing through my vinyl and found some old 12" singles priced at 3.50 pounds. Bl@@dy hell I though, that's expensive for 3 tracks - especially if you factor in inflation over 30 years!!. I definitely think value has improved over the years. smile

I think it used to be 99p for a 7" and about £ 2.50 for a 12" . .even though some LPs were £3.99 or £ 4.99 I think.

I see the new Human league 12" is £5.99 so I suppose that's about right...innit?
http://www.recordstore.co.uk/productdetail.jsp?productPK=unittest-zcrX2YNa7aLc1u7DqN3IEb-1

I personally cant be doing with downloads.

They are not up the quality of a CDs also you have no physical backup in case you lose the MP3s.

So I've ordered them both without even flinching.

Having said that it would also nice to be able to have the choice.Would keep everyone happy.

I don't want physical because they just take up space, and I won't do downloads because it's too risky.
I'll just have to wait until they play them on the radio I suppose.

Quote:
Originally posted by MemberD:
I think it used to be 99p for a 7" and about £ 2.50 for a 12" . .even though some LPs were £3.99 or £ 4.99 I think.

I see the new Human league 12" is £5.99 so I suppose that's about right...innit?
http://www.recordstore.co.uk/productdetail.jsp?productPK=unittest-zcrX2YNa7aLc1u7DqN3IEb-1
Wow - did you study economics? 2.50 would be 5.31 over that period ('83-'09ish) - but could only find data for US$. I'm guessing GBP would not be far off in % terms, so should be about the same.

I've never worried about downloads; I just make sure it's a trusted and secure supplier and then make sure I have a back up somewhere!

Personally I've never noticed any form of quality loss on any MP3 of 128kbps and above, at least not on normal speakers and headphones.

Quote:
Originally posted by solenoid:
Wow - did you study economics?
I'll have you know I got an "E" at A Level, Sir!
laugh

"E" for eeekonomiks!

I did Home Econimics... Learnt how to make tea and apple crumble. Put me in good stead for life.

Quote:
Originally posted by Alex S:
I've never worried about downloads; I just make sure it's a trusted and secure supplier and then make sure I have a back up somewhere!

Personally I've never noticed any form of quality loss on any MP3 of 128kbps and above, at least not on normal speakers and headphones.
I bought one of those Amazon £3.99 albums last month,burnt onto proper CD,hard drive crashed same day,lost them.

Amazon would not let me download them again.

Got the album on CD a week later,proper CD totally blows MP3s away in this case for sound quality.

What Amazon sold me for £3.99 was cheap and nasty.
Higher bitrate helps but MP3 is not a lossless format. A lot of ambience and dynamism gets thrown away.Maybe I notice more on headphones but that's just me.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.