Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12
#14775 03/03/08 12:29 PM
Did anyone get the 'Engineers' CD? If so - any thoughts?

#14776 03/03/08 12:59 PM
Alex S Offline OP
OP Offline
Mine's ordered....

I've posted photos of Gary in action from Sheffield on Saturday, on my MySpace and FaceBook pages...

...though I guess you need to be added as a friend to see them.

I heard talk at the gig that the next (and possibly final) "old album tour" is likely to be either for Tubeway Army or Dance.

#14777 03/03/08 01:07 PM
Nice pics Alex thanks .. how was it for you?

#14778 03/03/08 01:15 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by RadioBeach:
Did anyone get the 'Engineers' CD? If so - any thoughts?
The artwork looks even better in real life than what some thought to be a disapointing front picture. Theres quite a lot of extra pics included. Sound quality is better than not just the original bootleg but also a 'remastered' booty that been around for about four years. As for the track listing, still miss DITP and Metal not being there, but well worth having in the collection.

#14779 03/03/08 01:22 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex S:
I heard talk at the gig that the next (and possibly final) "old album tour" is likely to be either for [b]Tubeway Army or Dance. [/b]
I think people may think that because the 'Principle' style lighting has been used now for this 'Replicas' tour. A 'Principle' tour though would now need a totally different design than expected, and so adds to the wait.

#14780 03/03/08 01:26 PM
Alex S Offline OP
OP Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by MemberD:
Nice pics Alex thanks .. how was it for you?
It was a good show let down by a crap venue. Apparently, according to "Big G", it was the only one available on that date.

Imagine Replicas played with the power of Pure. The arrangements and most of the synths sounded true to the originals, but the power of them all had been gloriously beefed up. It was also nice to see Gary playing keyboards (or at least pressing a note or two!) on some songs.

I enjoyed it, but IMHO it wasn't half as good as the 2006 Telekon show. Then again I'm slightly biased because I much prefer Telekon over Replicas.

Being the second night of the tour, various arrangement problems were still being ironed out, much to Gary's amusement, and he'll be the first to admit that remembering the lyrics to all these 30 year old tracks is no easy thing - many of which hadn't been played live at all!

The Replicas 'part' of the show lasted just over an hour, before they ran out of Replicas songs. They played all the album tracks and b-sides. For an encore, they played Cars, Every Day I Die and Prayer for the Unborn from Pure.

The light show was cool, but not as impressive as the Telekon panels. There was no spotlight on Gary so he spent most of the show in silhouette.

I Nearly Married A Human and We Have A Technical sounded great.

Unfortunately, the Sheffield Corporation, with it's narrow letterbox-like stage and extremely low ceiling was not the best venue for sound, Gary's vocals sounding muffled at times or drowned out. The Numan sound really benefits from a venue with good acoustics. But, with a new Sheffield Academy due to open soon, I hope he returns and plays there as he's better suited to that kind of place (although for me, the best Numan venue is Nottingham Rock City.

#14781 03/03/08 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by newvox:
Quote:
Originally posted by RadioBeach:
[b] Did anyone get the 'Engineers' CD? If so - any thoughts?
The artwork looks even better in real life than what some thought to be a disapointing front picture. Theres quite a lot of extra pics included. Sound quality is better than not just the original bootleg but also a 'remastered' booty that been around for about four years. As for the track listing, still miss DITP and Metal not being there, but well worth having in the collection. [/b]
Cheers Newvox!

#14782 03/03/08 01:46 PM
Alex S Offline OP
OP Offline
Gary has been so inundated with orders for Replicas Redux and Engineers that despite getting extra people in to sort the orders out, he's had to temporarily deactivate the NuWorld shop!

I ordered my copy of Engineers last week, so who knows when it will arrive!!

#14783 03/03/08 01:47 PM
Thanks again Alex. Yes I can well imagine Replicas live being more 'rocky' à la Pure etc. rather than Telekon-y electronic based. (More of Telekon man myself too.)
Nice set list , shame about the venue.

#14784 03/03/08 01:54 PM
Alex S Offline OP
OP Offline
Here are two short video clips I took - they are huge files though, so if anybody knows how to get them down to smaller .mov files, then it would be much appreciated!

Replicas avi
We Have a Technical avi

Page 10 of 12 1 2 8 9 10 11 12

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.