Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 23 of 27 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 26 27
M
M
Parapsychology & The Nature Of Life by John L. Randall

http://www.clarebooks.co.uk/parapsycholo...777-7686-0.html

Administrator
Administrator
http://www.eagleman.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=57&Itemid=34

40 'tiny colour movies' about the after=life and some wonderful Thought Experiments

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
Just finished reading Ringworld's Children, by Larry Niven. Probably the last part of the Ringworld saga.
Bloody Excellent, yah!
I must point out that Ringworld is Hard-SF, not fantasy, stet and has nothing to do with Hobbits..
Running futzy short of reading matter again, the only other book I have on the go is by Derren Brown.. Interesting..

"Never Let Me Go" by Kazuo Ishiguro. Bl@@dy good read actually. But I dread what the film is going to be like - out later this year.

The Museum of Innocence by Orhan Pamuk. I don't usually read translated works but I've made an exception this year with this and Stieg Larsson.

C
C
Quote:
Originally posted by NerveJam:
Just finished reading Ringworld's Children, by Larry Niven. Probably the last part of the Ringworld saga.
I must point out that Ringworld is Hard-SF, not fantasy …and has nothing to do with Hobbits
I was very much into hard-SF as a teen, without probably realising what constituted it! and found myself particularly drawn towards sci-fi books that involved future technology, exploration, but most of all, alien contact.

I’ve read a few of Niven’s ‘Known Space’ novels, and Ringworld with its vast engineered landscape and the mystery surrounding the origins of its long gone creators is my favourite book by him, though I imagine if I re-read it now then all the characters in it would probably appear very one-dimensional. I loved the Puppeteer’s and their whole conception, the secretive location of the home worlds travelling through space, and the Puppeteer's inherent ‘cowardice’ driving them to control everything around themselves, and the fact that it’s the insane ones who are the courageous ones. I read the sequel The Ringworld Engineers when it came out, but I’ve never read any of the other books in the series.

Regarding Niven, in the past I also read some of his collaborations with Jerry Pournelle: Footfall, and The Mote In God’s Eye, both are high action adventure sci-fi, each with fantastic aliens, and would no doubt make for great Hollywood movies.

In Footfall it’s the earth that’s being invaded by the herd-like elephantine Fithp who are on a holy mission, equiped with inherited technology which was left behind by an extinct species that were once the dominant race on their home planet. After the Fithp apparently subdue our resistance, and drop a large asteroid onto the earth causing worldwide damage, the USA secretly undertakes a plan to blast a few shuttles up into space on the back of some nuclear bombs, with the intention to fight the Fithp mothership. And in ‘Gods Eye it’s a first contact drama which unfolds between humans and all of the highly specialized subspecies of Moties that we encounter out in deep space.

Ahhh, it has been many years since I read Ringworld. I am currently reading Gene Wilder's autobiography Kiss Me Like a Stranger while I wait for the next book in the Chronicles of Thomas Covenant series, Against All Things Ending. There is never enough time to read all that you would like to. One day if I can ever retire... laugh

The Unconsoled. Kazuo Ishiguro.

This one has me riveted. It flows like a dream with new story fragments building as the book goes on but ultimately all linked. I can't read it fast enough!

This guy really is a genius if this and the other book read recently (Never Let Me Go) are anything to go by.

Quote:
Originally posted by solenoid:
The Unconsoled. Kazuo Ishiguro.

This one has me riveted. It flows like a dream with new story fragments building as the book goes on but ultimately all linked. I can't read it fast enough!

This guy really is a genius if this and the other book read recently (Never Let Me Go) are anything to go by.
Cheers Chris

They're both sat on the book shelf, staring at me accusingly. Really do need to get round to reading them soon!

Ian Brown biography 'Already In Me', surprised myself, I thought being from the Hacienda era I knew pretty much most things about the Stone Roses however I've just read that Howard Jones was their manager, I never knew that.

Page 23 of 27 1 2 21 22 23 24 25 26 27

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.