Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 26 27
maryann Offline OP
OP Offline
The 'Hobbies'and 'Listening' threads inspired me to start this one. Come on everyone, share what you are currently reading.
I will start the thread off:

I am currently reading Einstein by Walter Isaacson. The author had access to previously unreleased personal letters and papers. He has done an excellent job in revealing the wonderful man behind the science(as well as discussing the theories) and the politics of the time.

Note: the footnotes are almost as long as the book.

Earlier this year I got back into reading sci-fi novels.

I re-read Arthur C Clarke's fantastic "The City and the Stars", followed by Philip K Dick's "Penultimate Truth".

Then I started Alfred bester's "The Demolished Man" but I got half way through and got very bored.

Haven't read since!

What a great idea for a thread M.

Im not currently reading anything, but the last recent book was 'Jaws'.
It was one of those 'cant put down' books for me. So much better than the film.

maryann Offline OP
OP Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex S:
Then I started Alfred bester's "The Demolished Man" but I got half way through and got very bored.
I have read all those books you mentioned, Alex. The odd thing about your post is that I actually reread The Demolished Man a couple of months ago, having not read it in years.

maryann Offline OP
OP Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by newvox:
What a great idea for a thread M.

Im not currently reading anything, but the last recent book was 'Jaws'.
It was one of those 'cant put down' books for me. So much better than the film.
Thanks K. smile

I see you left out Midge's book. Was it that forgettable ? wink

Oh I forgot to mention - I read Mike Oldfield's autobiography "Changeling" over the summer. Very inspiring and interesting.

Quote:
Originally posted by maryann:
Quote:
[b] Then I started Alfred bester's "The Demolished Man" but I got half way through and got very bored.
I have read all those books you mentioned, Alex. The odd thing about your post is that I actually reread The Demolished Man a couple of months ago, having not read it in years. [/b]
That's a funny coincidence smile

I'm just in love with City and the Stars. I could read it endlessly.

Sadly the Demolished Man just didn't grab my attention. I might finiish it, but I'm more tempted to see what other interesting books there are in the SF Masterworks series.

Quote:
Originally posted by maryann:
I see you left out Midge's book. Was it that forgettable ? wink
Just the book, not the way it was read. laugh wink

Quote:
Oh I forgot to mention - I read Mike Oldfield's autobiography "Changeling" over the summer. Very inspiring and interesting.
Theres a lot of Foxxy book titles but this ones very Bowie like. I could imagine Oldfields being an interesting read, given hes music, personal life, and hobbies such as flying.

Yeah, it is an engrossing read. The focus of the book though is mostly on his lifelong battle with panic attacks. Music almost comes secondary, as he started writing as therapy and escapism.

The majority of the book is written about the early part of his life, up to and the recording of Tubular bells, then the success and pressure that follows. The 80s, 90s and beyond are sadly only skimmed over in the last couple of chapters - but I guess there just isn't as much to tell.

Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 26 27

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.