Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 30 1 2 3 4 29 30
#13805 10/10/07 03:14 PM
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
Quote:
Originally posted by metal beat:
Hemel Hempstead is such a dull town musically, no decent venues.
May be not on the 'mainstream circuit', but some of my best-remembered gigs feature the unsung heroes who start off in local pubs

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#13806 10/10/07 11:58 PM
I generaly work late shifts and really need to swao and save days off for gigs so I get dissapointed sometimes when bands come I'd like to see but just can't get the time off....
One such is the Up coming Glasgow gig of (We are)Performance..... really want to go but it's gonna be difficult to arrange the staff so I can be off that night frown
Here's hoping smile

#13807 10/11/07 10:39 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Birdsong:
HAPPY MONDAYS - October 9th, Southampton Guildhall
thanks for the review, too bad it wasn't your cup of tea. i'm still a huge mondays fan, would be cool if they'd come to finland, bez was here last year as a "dj", or more like he was shouting things to mic while his friend played some classic 90's hits. still, i loved it!

#13808 10/12/07 02:02 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex S:
If Numan does his Replicas tour in February as planned
I will fly in for it for sure laugh

#13809 10/20/07 09:40 PM
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
Last night's free gig at The Labour Club in Northampton was simply extraordinary. Andy Skank who MCs there is getting a BIG reputation on the scene locally and emerging nationally as one of the most innovative promoters on the circuit.
When a contact in Coventry called him up, unable to provide a venue for outstanding singer-songwriter Baby Dee, about to embark on a world tour to promote her new album "Drag City" Andy was brave, committed and insightful enough to recognise a unique opportunity and immediately put together an night of experimental performers at his local venue to accommodate a unique, and emerging international artist.

To say the the Labour Club is small would be to exaggerate its size by abour 200%. It's a pub, in a back street, in a nowhere town. The stage is about 12ft square.
We arrived at 8.30 and there were about six people there, two old men in flat caps, a hhee-owge dog and half a dozen long-haired children in wellies. The bar sold Pepsi in bottles for a quid, and two different sorts of crisps. And Andy, battling with a plethora in the instruments and worrying about how to mic up a harp.
Also present, freestyle drummer and experimental percussionist Alex Nielson , most famously known for his recent work with Bonnie "Prince" Billy, and performing first tonight as The Directing Hand.
Nielson looks like a young Scott Walker, so the fact that his three ten minute orchestral pieces sounded like nothing else on Earth should have been no surprise, and made The Drift sound like easy listening! The collective multitude of instruments he and his partner used, and their wailing vocals delivered in some weird wordless language is combined with over-sustained dronings, bells dragged over cymbals, bird-whistles and a whole orchestral cacophony. The result was totally wasted on the audience of thirty who just didn't get it and clearly hadn't come to be scared out of their wits.

Her voice is strong and she uses it imaginatively, but can she hold a tune?

Next on stage, local cellist Mrs Pilgrimm on familiar ground, but clearly uncomfortable with the terrible sound system and the ignorant background talking. Alone on stage she relied on the expert use of a series of delay pedals timed to perfection, filling the space with improvised live loops which she then accompanied to create dissonant, fragmented harmonies. Occasionally she drew a bow across the strings, but seemed much happier plucking and stroking them. Her new material is more experimental than her earlier work, but favourites like the quirky "Tickle my Fancy, Lovely" warmed the room up nicely for the main act.

Baby Dee defies description and is like no-one you have seen or heard before. Probably about 9ft tall, a transgender performer with Wild red hair, a fur coat, and the biggest hands and boots you've ever seen. And such a tiny, tiny voice. She was obviously pissed off with the venue and the inadequate sound, and again the people who chose to talk over the first song, the delicious hymn "Calvary". Dee is performing these songs with a band for the first time, tonight made up of a tall, bearded bass player and held together, reinterpreted and generally carried off by the incredible Nielson again. This guy is seriously good, and reputedly one of the best interpretive drummers in the UK right now.
After three numbers though, Dee began to cry and called the show to a halt until "those naughty people" who kept talking were 'encouraged to leave'.
Then the fairy dust was sprinkled, the harp was re-miced and her fingers worked their magic. A dozen or so songs from her back catalogue (Morning Star, Look What the Wind Blew In) performed to a hushed, dedicated and totally bemused audience of less than fifty. It was a real shame that her voice is so weak and delicate that we couldn't hear the lyrics or the vocal at all too much. Skank may have felt embarassed at the inadequacies of his venue, but those who understood were mesmerised and he deserves a medal for his achievements there.

Baby Dee was last night, is and can only become more unbelievable. Totally mesmerising against impossible odds. Extraordinary isn't a word I use lightly, but she is one of the most original performers I have ever seen and it is wonderful to see her Black Ship on the horizon at last. David Tibet, Anthony, Marc Almond, Pantaleimon and Bonnie Prince Billy have already made a berth in their harbours. Let us all do likewise, for with Alex Nielson on board this is a creative force with vision, energy and passion that deserve to be heard.

The Robins Tiny Throat is out now on Durtro Records, and Drag City will be released in January.

©birdsong 2007
Thanks for reading.
This isn't meant to be a self-indulgent thread

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
#13810 10/20/07 11:47 PM
Well,got to see the (We Are)Performance gig.

Superb performance!, Joe Stretch is a great front man to the band,full of energy and the two girls are just beautifull smile
Thanks to our own Ian(he of the Merch stall at the recent gigs) for getting me on the geust list.Had a great chat with Joe after their show.
(heres hopeing they get the Numan Replicas tour slot smile )

#13811 10/21/07 12:41 PM
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator
Excellent pics, will. Thanks.

Are these the guys that supported Foxx recently?

#13812 10/21/07 11:53 PM
Yes mate,at the Manchester gig,also supported Numan this year and back in Dec 06 for the teletour06 gig again in Manchester.

#13813 10/22/07 08:23 PM
Great pics Will, thanks for them.

The two synths are more beautiful.
Not too hot on their names though, Korg and Roland. smile

#13814 10/23/07 12:44 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by newvox:
The two synths are more beautiful.
Just passing by this thread, carry on..... wink smile

Page 2 of 30 1 2 3 4 29 30

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.