Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
kraftwerk's "autobahn" when i was about 8 years ol' in 1975 !

Quote:
Originally posted by SF Metamatrix:
kraftwerk's "autobahn"
I made that astronomical leap to Kraftwerk in the late 1970s as well as Eno, Ultravox! and Numan.

C
C
I was lucky enough in those days to get Spanish TV and radio. They were so enthusiastic about all this synth music. Some were used as TV themes. This combined with English TV and Radio I remember as a child the following tunes:

Doctor Who Theme, Popcorn, Oxygene 4, Autobahn, Equinoxe 5, Pulstar, Telstar, Magic Fly....

Chris wink

JM Jarre's 'Oygene' always stuck in my mind, but looking in my record collection I know that one of the first synthy tracks I bought (I used to demand that my older brother take me to town on a Saturday to buy records - sorry, Steve) was Sparks 'No.1 Song in Heaven'. Had the touch of Moroder, but the long version on the B-side is just fantastic. I also have Gary Numan's 'Pleasure Principle' on vinyl too, and I remember loving that as a little 'un!

Ooo, I've drifted off into early childhood musical memories now...I had a Bontempi Organ! I can see it now - orange and white! Must have been the start of my synth fascination....

Sarah laugh

Ah, memories.

I remember my sister playing "Autobahn" by Kraftwerk and "Aladdin Sane" by Bowie over and over when I was young. Those two albums pretty much defined my musical tastes. And the Delia Derbyshire version of the Dr Who theme is a work of genius.

My first musical instrument was a Stylophone. Brilliant! Wish I still had mine now.

Administrator
Administrator
Call me a late developer.

It's 1979. TOTP.

it's cold outside

Suddenly on the 'bubbling under' slot is this amazing guy with white hair dressed

in a long coat and grey hat
smoking a cigarette

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
T
T
Possibly the theme to "Blake's Seven" in the late seventies. Failing that, "Glimmer" in 1989. I lie of course, but it was something of a year zero.

Quote:
Originally posted by Birdsong:
this amazing guy with white hair
Yes, he certainly is.....

He had black hair by the time he was on TOTP guys. That was probably the first time i heard something from what was to become known as a 'synth group'. But as i say, the first music i remember with electronics was Dr Who. I want to make it clear, i did not heard it from the first series though. smile

Mine's the same story as almost everyone elses really; 'PopCorn' by Hot Butter, Dr Who theme, Tomorrows People theme, Oxygene part 1653716532786541843 or whatever it's called by Jarre and Gary Numan.

We used to walk to a church on top of a big hill back in the late 70's and one Sunday morning, as we passed the over the railway bridge, somebody had sprayed in 3-ft high letters;

'THERE IS NO GOD SO PRAY TO GARY NUMAN'

It was there for years! Whoever wrote that - thank you. smile

Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.