Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#12035 11/26/07 06:11 PM
OP Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by maryann:
Quote:
Originally posted by RadioBeach:
[b] To get a true picture of the band, go for either of the two studio albums - 'Unknown Pleasures' and 'Closer' - you can't go wrong with either, and each one has it's own individual style, sound, colour and space in the music.
You were so very very right.

Closer is unbelievably good. I almost cannot accept how good it is. [/b]
laugh

#12036 12/03/07 07:11 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by psychocandy:
... for me new order is probably the most important band ever, i've been a fan since hearing ceremony on the radio way back in '81.
It has been suggested to me that Movement is exceptionally close to the Joy Division 'sound'.

I have not listened to Movement in ages so I will have to give it a play.

#12037 12/04/07 09:26 AM
Yes, definitely post-Joy Division. They were still finding their way. Hannet's production somewhat lacklustre tho I've always thought. "No reason ever was given."

#12038 12/04/07 12:42 PM
If Movement is post-JD sound then how does one classify the later New Order years? I honestly cannot get a sense of what New Order is about. I think I need to re-listen to them.

#12039 12/04/07 01:16 PM
OP Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by maryann:
If Movement is post-JD sound then how does one classify the later New Order years? I honestly cannot get a sense of what New Order is about. I think I need to re-listen to them.
The complete and detailed history of Joy Division & New Order (abridged)

Ian's croaked - Let's change the name, record an album and get Hannett to produce it. Damn! Hannett's back on the smack you can almost hear it, let's not worry - we still have to go and do that Joy Division tour in the states. Hello America! Wow! New York what amazing post-punk discos you have! I know - let's build a nightclub exactly like these ones in NY but...in Manchester, that no-one will ever go to and will lose us lots and lots of money! yeah! great idea! And we'll make NY-Disco music exactly like those Arthur Baker/early electro records we hear on tour, but we won't get Hannett to do it because he's off the rails, and anyway - he wants us to do something sensible like buy a fairlight and build a recording studio...and we'll make a disco record that comes in a really, really expensive art-sleeve that'll cost us lots of money - but who cares? It's art! No one will buy it, it'll never become the biggest selling 12" of all time, so we'll just press a 1000 to start with...
wink

#12040 12/04/07 01:27 PM
Ha Ha Ha ..hilarious .. no wait that's only Chapter One Beach.

#12041 12/04/07 01:32 PM
You know, Garry, I finally understand it all ! smile

#12042 12/04/07 01:52 PM
Well i still dont understand it, i may even have to play some JD. smile

Their one of the few groups ive ever really listened to, but thats likely to change since M and i discovered the double set's with live cds.

#12043 12/04/07 01:55 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by newvox:
but thats likely to change since M and i discovered the double set's with live cds.
Expect a surprise parcel, K. smile

What I cannot get over really, is how different NO is musically from their origin.

#12044 12/04/07 03:01 PM
Would be a good idea for Midge's biography to be made into an abridged version too. Cut it down to say three main topics. smile

Then again, to save on paper would the author concider re-writing hes work. Cutting out all the O's for example would save a few pages there.....etc etc.

(And other Little Britain rip-offs)

Page 8 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.