Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
#11985 09/17/07 02:20 PM
A
Anonymous
Unregistered
Anonymous
Unregistered
A
Quote:
Originally posted by MemberD:
BTW is that 'Closer' as in 'more close' or as in 'something which closes, as opposed to which opens..' . .i.e. hard or soft 's' ....
come on , m8 !
if u really got that album , u should know the answer to that question !

it's the latter one , of course !

#11986 09/17/07 02:36 PM
OP Offline
There’s many myths that surround ‘Closer’; the sleeve design is Factory cashing in on the death of Curtis; the title is a pun and is actually pronounced ‘Close-er’; the album wasn’t finished properly – etc etc.

The sleeve design was actually decided by the whole band (including Curtis) and management – in the same afternoon they also chose the sleeves for ‘Love Will Tear Us Apart’. It’s just bad timing and a horrible coincidence that the photographs used are from tombstones!

The title is just ‘Closer’ because the band were having a dig at Hannett. None of the band felt that ‘Unknown Pleasures’ came close to JDs powerful live sound, so this time Sumner, Morris and Hook sat in on the sessions to make sure Hannett didn’t have it all his own way. Hence the album is ‘Closer’ to what the band wanted rather than Hannett.

The album was finished properly – they even recorded ‘Love Will Tear Us Apart’ and ‘These Days’ in the same sessions but left them off as they did not fit the overall feel of the album. JD also refused to put singles on albums feeling that it was selling out and short-changing the fans.

#11987 09/17/07 02:39 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by RadioBeach:
.... the title is a pun and is actually pronounced ‘Close-er’; .!
Sorry, I didn't quite catch that Beach .. hard or soft?

#11988 09/17/07 02:43 PM
OP Offline
Quote:
Originally posted by MemberD:
Quote:
[b] .... the title is a pun and is actually pronounced ‘Close-er’; .!
Sorry, I didn't quite catch that Beach .. hard or soft? [/b]
I guess phonetically it would be 'Cloze-er'; ie - to close. But this is just myth, it's actually just 'Closer' as in 'moving closer to an object'

#11989 09/17/07 02:45 PM
Quote:
To get a true picture of the band, go for either of the two studio albums - 'Unknown Pleasures' and 'Closer' - you can't go wrong with either, and each one has it's own individual style, sound, colour and space in the music.
My thoughts exactly, Garry. Greatest hits, compilations, etc etc never give a true enough picture. Especially for a first time listener like me.

I will go for a studio album first.

Thanks everyone for the responses.

#11990 09/17/07 02:49 PM
beach . Ok, thought so .. I think it was John Peel who brought up the 'Clozer' debate ..

mayann . Ok fine. I did say Permanent is for 'the broader' picture, but Closer is my first choice.

#11991 09/17/07 02:52 PM
Perhaps I will go with whichever is less money wink smile

#11992 09/17/07 02:56 PM
OP Offline
Whichever you choose Maryann - enjoy!

On this side of the pond - you all might be interested to know that on BBC Four on Friday there's film length documentary - 'Factory: Manchester from Joy Division to Happy Mondays'

http://www.bbc.co.uk/bbcfour/listings/pr...service_id=4544

With the film coming, I guess there's going to be a lot of interest over the coming months.

#11993 09/17/07 02:59 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by maryann:
Perhaps I will go with whichever is less money wink smile
LOL ..That's what it also boils down to with me often!

#11994 09/18/07 09:41 AM
OP Offline
Having listened to the remastered editions I have to say that if you already own 'Unknown Pleasures', 'Closer' and 'Still' and aren't a sad anorak obsessive (like me) and aren't really interested in live recordings then these new editions just aren't essential.

The Unknown Pleasures CD2: The Factory, Manchester Live 11 April 1980 is the same gig as the one on the 'Heart and Soul' box set...just two extra live cuts make the difference!

The other two live recordings that accompany 'Closer' and 'Still' arent that extraordinary. Although at least 'Ice Age' on 'Still' now plays at the correct speed.

Page 3 of 9 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.