Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
#10427 01/21/07 09:10 AM
S
S
i've got that one !!

anyway for me it was also 'are friends electric.'

watching that on TOTP was a defining moment in my youth!

#10428 01/21/07 10:37 AM
C
C
It was somewhere where I used to listen to some jukebox or machine, as I used to call it then, playing instrumental/orchestral versions of international hits...

As a child I used to really enjoy those science fiction movies and TV series. Perhaps the track with the biggest impact was the Dr Who theme. Still never ceases to amaze me. To correct people it was written by Ron Grainer but realized by Delia Derbyshire. IMHO the latter carries the biggest merit for its original sound.

During the 70s there was a lot of electronic music that could be picked up on the European airwaves. These synth tracks have already been mentioned here such as Popcorn, Autobahn, War of the Worlds and Oxygene. I would also add Pulstar, Equinoxe, Magic Fly and the vocal led Manureva and I Hear You Now. I used to hum these a lot.

The disco scene arrived with tracks like I Feel Love and Supernature which also became favourites of mine. Until 1979 when Chris C began to listen to the UK charts. When Are Friends Electric? came out it had a lot of meaning to me and followed it up the charts until it got to Number 1. In those days I couldn't afford to buy records so, it was until 1981 when I made synth music my hobby forever. That year the first records I bought were, curiously enough, Architecture & Morality, Visage and Vienna.

In 1983 I discovered John. Bought The Garden + Church, and the Your Dress and Endlessly singles, roughly at the same time, and they literally blew me away! Buying the rest of his back catalogue that year sent me head over heels in space!

Chris C wink

#10429 02/02/07 01:45 AM
G
G
Most influential thing to merge with my lug-holes ever has to be Numan's Metal. The whole Pleasure Principle theme struck a right old chord with me and I'm sure I owned 3 versions of it at one stage. 2 vinyl (because one got a small scratch) and a cassette. I know I owned 4 versions of 'Cars' - 7", 12", cassingle and 7" import. Not bad considering I was about 13 with naff-all money at the time.

I reckon it was the minimoog that did it(although I had no idea which synth it was at the time). I met Gary in the Leeds HMV and while he was signing this album for me I asked him about the minimoog. He said 'I gave it the sound' - I'm sure he was proud of what he'd done there. Top bloke.

One more if I may - Afrika Bambaataa's 'Planet Rock'. I'll have to include a sidenote to Kraftwerk on this one for the Trans-Europe Express riff. Genius.

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.