Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 660 of 753 1 2 658 659 660 661 662 752 753
Administrator
Administrator
Reading John Foxx recent interview with Record Collector (thanks Alex!) has lead me to

Wunderbar by Wolfgang Riechmann

**ck me, what an amazing album!!!

Riechmann was a contemporary of Michel Rother and Wolfgang Flür, and this (mostly instrumental late Krautrock/psychedelic album) was released just a few weeks after Riechmann's unfortunate murder.

It's a 'critical link' in the chain of lots of things.
On the title track for instance, I got to a moment in time when The Shadows met Flightpath Tegel, with a bit of primordial 'vocalisation' thrown in.

And the track 'Weltweit' places My Lost City in Dusseldorf c1978

Thanks to John Foxx for the reference - this album adds another thin layer of colour and understanding.

I can hear some bits of of OMD in it too...?

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
T
T
Quote:
Originally posted by Birdsong:
Reading John Foxx recent interview with Record Collector (thanks Alex!) has lead me to

[b]Wunderbar
by Wolfgang Riechmann

**ck me, what an amazing album!!!

Riechmann was a contemporary of Michel Rother and Wolfgang Flür, and this (mostly instrumental late Krautrock/psychedelic album) was released just a few weeks after Riechmann's untimely murder.

It's a 'critical link' in the chain of lots of things.
On the title track for instance, I got to a moment in time when The Shadows met Flightpath Tegel, with a bit of primordial 'vocalisation' thrown in.

And the track 'Weltweit' places My Lost City in Dusseldorf c1978

Thanks to John Foxx for the reference - this album adds another thin layer of colour and understanding.

I can hear some bits of of OMD in it too...? [/b]
That's weird, I've just started playing this as well this week. I don't know how I stumbled upon it but it was not through Foxx or Record Collector. It's a great album!

C
C
Having foolishly sat up half the night and had half my sleep I'm now listening to Biosphere: Cirque, its quite relaxing in places for this moment on an overcast rainy morning.

Quote:
Originally posted by the church puddle:
Quote:
Originally posted by Birdsong:
[b] Reading John Foxx recent interview with Record Collector (thanks Alex!) has lead me to [b]Wunderbar by Wolfgang Riechmann
[/b]
That's weird, I've just started playing this as well this week. I don't know how I stumbled upon it but it was not through Foxx or Record Collector. It's a great album! [/b]
Thanks for posting this chaps. I recall seeing that Blue style cover image a few years back but with no musical links to hear. Had no idea that the album was re-released in 2009, after reading your post I listened to itunes, and not only satisfied my curiosity, but enjoyed what I heard.

M
M
Dave Brock - 'Strange Trips and Pipe Dreams'

Daft Punk's soundtrack to TRON: Legacy

C
C
Its been a funny week musically, going from Kate Bush's Dreaming to Boards Of Canada's 'Right To' and Geogaddi, and to the funk of Lindstrom & Christabelle, and Neotropic's La Prochaine Fois.

I even listened to one of the few classical albums I have, in my early 20's I stumbled across Herbert Von Karajan's interpretation of Brahms Ein Deutesches Requiem, of which the second part is my favourite, Denn alles Fleisch, es ist wie Gras or 'For all Flesh is as Grass', which with its musical shades of darkness moving towards the light and its sense of hope triumphing over loss, its one of the most fantastic pieces of music I've ever heard, and with no need of being religious to appreciate the sheer spiritual power of it. Not having listened to this since I was a younger man it was great to experience it at full volume once again.

It was a A Secret Life at lunchtime today, and right now its the best late 80's early 90's dreampop band of them all IMO, Lush and their collected EP's album: Gala, and next up its Spooky

C
C
"indie gothic rock, combining elements of drone, electronic, and drawing comparisons to the likes of Portishead and Siouxsie Sioux...", and thus is the description of the recently released debut album from Brighton band Esben And The Witch: Violet Cries.

Not sure about the album, but I do like this track, its good loud! - I'm not so keen on the video - a good-looking woman, a cool-looking guy, and a geek, all get battered by a supernatural force (best not to watch while having your breakfast wink ) :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VP0Nv_ivTaw

T
T
Quote:
Originally posted by Alex S:
Quote:
Originally posted by Lody Herst:
[b] [b]Jean Michel Jarre: En Attendant Cousteau

The title track is clocking in at approx 45 minutes. It's an epic minimalistic piece. For me, it fits in somewhere between John's work with Harold Budd and Tiny Colour Movies. cool [/b]
A superb and underrated album. When I saw him live in October, En Attendant Cousteau was playing as the pre-gig music - it was very atmospheric and made a very unusual build-up to the show.

It is a brilliant ambient piece, although it took me a long time to realise that. [/b]
Thanks for the post, guys! Sounds like one for me to check out.

T
T
Currently "Power, Corruption and Lies".

Recently, The Beatles (from about 1965 onwards). Put off for decades by the likes of "Get Back" and "Hey Jude" and the band's general cultural significance and overbearing popularity, I finally decided it was time to give them a chance.

I am happy to report that I like very much just over half of what I have heard.

Now comes the hard part, assembling the tracks I like into themed playlists ...

This weeks listening:
Tooth Mother - Mick Karn
U.F. Orb - The Orb

Page 660 of 753 1 2 658 659 660 661 662 752 753

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.