Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
The Archive
OP Online
The Archive
John is going to perform both Tiny Colour Movies and The Quiet Man at the College of Music in Leeds in October.

Date : Thursday the 29th of October, 2009 - from 7:30pm
Address : The Venue, Leeds College of Music, 3 Quarry Hill, Leeds LS2 7PD
Box Office : 0113 222 3434
Tickets : £10.00, £8.00 Concessions

Rob

C
C
Hi Rob

Thanks for the news. Wish I was still at Leeds. I was there 1998/1999. Toured around, went to festivals, record fairs etc. It's amazing how Leeds is up and coming and becoming up North as important as Manchester culturally.

Did you receive my email? Please let me know as otherwise I will make other arrangements.

Chris wink

Cheers for this news & the new newsletter Rob.

I'll finally get to hear Shifting City this year then. laugh

Brian

Quote:
Originally posted by Brian
I'll finally get to hear Shifting City this year then.
Me too laugh

H
H
I'm very fortunate in that, as I work in Leeds, it seems I get an annual opportunity to see one of John's live performances. wink

However, I'm not familiar with this venue and multimap suggests it's some way out of the centre from the train station so I may have to leave early fior the last train home. I'm being really picky here, but wouldn't the Town Hall venue used for the last TCM performance have been a lot better both in terms of accesibility and acoustics?

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeG:
Quote:
[b]I'll finally get to hear Shifting City this year then.
Me too laugh [/b]
eek
eek

Quote:
Originally posted by MikeG:
Quote:
[b]I'll finally get to hear Shifting City this year then.
Me too laugh [/b]
Me three

C
C
Hope anyone going to this will post their thoughts here afterwards smile

Quote:
Originally posted by MemberD:
Advert: http://www.leedsjazz.org.uk/?p=1460
Leeds Jazz?! JAZZ?! John and jazz are yet to cross, and have successfully avoided each other thus far...!!

It depends on what your own personal definition of 'Jazz' is - there's many variations in the genre, from traditional to urban to acid to...well, you get the idea. Given how John seems to be able to dip in and out of most styles of music quite easily without compromising his own brand and integrity, why do you think him working on material in any of these strands would (should that be 'could') not work?

Actually, "Forgotten Years", though really a blues track, is probably the closest his music has gotten into conventional jazz. I could actually imagine a smokey, croaky, crooning vocal from John in a chilled-out jazz scenario. May be interesting but I'd still be yearning for synths! wink

Administrator
Administrator
It's all PR isn't it.

There's obviously a recognition that members of Leeds Jazz might be interested in this presentation.

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
Unless all the jazz geeks are planing to come out in an anti-synth protest!

'The Jazz Geeks'. The last I heard of them they'd disbanded, but if they do get together, maybe there's a chance they'll play down south again at some point in the future. They were a great band, so let's hope so.

smile

I think you're right Martin. Some of the best things about both pieces John is playing in Leeds tonight is that, to me, they have nods towards jazz, and I don't think enthusiasts of that style of music would be dissapointed if they did attend at all. The minimalist style of the 'Quiet Man' piece allows, for me, areas and space within the music for reflection of life passing by, wheareas 'TCM' mis-mash of styles, moods and instrumentation also makes it an interesting variation on his usual works.

And as you say, it's all good PR.

smile

C
C
Quote:
Originally posted by E. G. Ekin:
...John seems to be able to dip in and out of most styles of music quite easily without compromising his own brand and integrity...
I’m not a trad’ Jazz person, and agree that we shouldn't overlook the electronica/minimalist/jazz crossovers out there,
one of my favourites - Triosk: The Headlight serenade, and Moment returns, have sadly disbanded now, but they have a style I’d be happy to see John investigate with his creative mind.

One of the most endearing qualities for me, in Bowie's mid-90s albums, Black Tie White Noise - The Buddha of Suburbia - 1.Outside, is the fusion between rock, electronica and jazz, most evident on Buddha and Black Tie. I rank these among my very favourite DB albums interestingly enough.

In these albums, that fusion works brilliantly and goes to show that elements of jazz and electronica can make remarkably good bedfellows.

Administrator
Administrator
What - no posts about the event yet???

Who was there...

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
I was there Martin! laugh I'll be back with a bit more over the weekend! Briefly: A showing of The Quiet Man (as seen before in various locations) with John playing a piano to accompany it, Tiny Coloured Movies, - which I've not seen before - with John playing a synthesiser to accompany it, and then John playing piano to accompany Karborn showing off his VJ skills to a new film. It ended with John providing some wonderful answers to the Q&A session at the end. I've got some film of John and Karborn and the Q&A session which (when I've got time!) I will post over the w/e.

Don't know if you're foxxwrock on youtube John but said user has put some videos up .. I've done a playlist, don't know if they're in the right order.

John Foxx at Leeds College on youtube

Hi Mark. Yes, I'm foxxwrok! The 7 min clip (with John asking them to dim the lights at the start of the Q&A) is actually the third one and the 2 min clip is the 4th one, but nevermind, thanks for playlisting them! laugh
PS. Did you also see the rest of my Little Boots vids?

Ok John - playlist duly adjusted, thanks again.

No haven't seen LB vids but will "remedy" the situation forthwith!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.