Metamatic
Posted By: MemberD Joy Division - 02/26/08 04:29 PM
..I know we've discussed this lot a few times but couldn't find a proper thread...

anyways: still not sure about which Joy Division album / remaster / live / session / bootleg to buy?..try this! :
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Best-Joy-Divisio...04042872&sr=8-1
Posted By: maryann Re: Joy Division - 02/26/08 05:27 PM
CD 2 sounds very interesting.
Posted By: newvox Re: Joy Division - 02/27/08 11:54 AM
Yes, cant wait for a JD delivery soon. wink
Posted By: the church puddle Re: Joy Division - 02/27/08 11:06 PM
Nice cover! But how many Joy Division compilations are on the market now? I would argue that the two albums, Still, and Substance are all that anyone actually NEEDS. But anyway, nice cover! wink
Posted By: maryann Re: Joy Division - 02/28/08 04:26 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by newvox:
Yes, cant wait for a JD delivery soon. wink
I would approximate a 2 week shipping and arrival date. smile
Posted By: newvox Re: Joy Division - 02/28/08 05:52 PM
Cant wait to get my hands on them. Not had them in age's. smile

This time theres the live cds to listen too also.
Posted By: RadioBeach Re: Joy Division - 03/03/08 10:58 AM
ANOTHER JD best of!? Why!? Anyway - nice photo but 'Substance' is still the best compilation - originally issued and authored by Factory with all the help of Wilson, Gretton and the surviving band members. 'Permanent' was just a cash-in job that came out when Deborah Curtis' book was originally issued and this looks like a cash-in job too.

If you have to get a bootleg gig, get the gig at the Paradiso, Amsterdam 1980 - you'll find plenty of info on why and on what boot it's available on here;

http://www.joydiv.org/c110180.htm

Of course there's always the 'Heart & Soul' boxset - more expensive than the 'Best Of' but it contains almost everything the band ever recorded, including the two studio albums.

Gazza
Posted By: maryann Re: Joy Division - 03/03/08 07:54 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by RadioBeach:
Of course there's always the 'Heart & Soul' boxset - more expensive than the 'Best Of' but it contains almost everything the band ever recorded, including the two studio albums.
What else does it have besides the 2 studio albums?
Posted By: Gavin Re: Joy Division - 03/03/08 08:37 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by maryann:
Quote:
[b]Of course there's always the 'Heart & Soul' boxset - more expensive than the 'Best Of' but it contains almost everything the band ever recorded, including the two studio albums.
What else does it have besides the 2 studio albums? [/b]
http://www.joydiv.org/heart.htm
Posted By: maryann Re: Joy Division - 03/03/08 11:33 PM
Thanks for the link, Gavin.
Is that the real Joy Division box set? (sorry, I could not resist)
Posted By: Gavin Re: Joy Division - 03/04/08 07:28 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by maryann:
Thanks for the link, Gavin.
Is that the real Joy Division box set? (sorry, I could not resist)
laugh
Posted By: MemberD Re: Joy Division - 04/28/08 12:30 PM
What's this?
Joy Division film?
Posted By: RadioBeach Re: Joy Division - 04/28/08 12:51 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by MemberD:
What's this?
Joy Division film?
Hi D,

This was first shown last year in Toronto and is already available as a DVD in Norway! We (the UK) are probably the last people to see it!

It was written by Jon Savage; author of ‘England’s Dreaming’ and original designer of some of JDs tour posters, and involves the remaining original band members, Kevin Cummins, Peter Saville, Deborah Curtis, Paul Morley etc.

Said to be the 'definitive' Joy Division documentary...although I reckon there's at least 25,000,000 definitive Joy Division documentaries by now! smile
Posted By: MemberD Re: Joy Division - 04/28/08 01:06 PM
Ta Beach

actually ever so slightly OT I was just in UK and I was quite surprised how a number of films which have been around here on't continent for a while now are just coming out in UK .. e.g. Persopolis, Irina Palm and I think Cassandra's Dream ..
(Irina Palm already available on DVD - available on DVD over 'ere)
..prompts thread on UK film industry, "movies" in general...
Posted By: maryann Re: Joy Division - 04/28/08 01:37 PM
Quote:
Said to be the 'definitive' Joy Division documentary...although I reckon there's at least 25,000,000 definitive Joy Division documentaries by now! smile
And none to be found here :rolleyes:
Posted By: Radium Girl Re: Joy Division - 04/28/08 02:18 PM
just make sure to hear Komakino....
Posted By: maryann Re: Joy Division - 05/13/08 04:50 PM
Well, I just went out and got 'The Best Of' mentioned at the top of this thread. I know it is another Best Of but I wanted the John Peel Sessions on cd 2.

They also had this 2cd set in a 1 cd 'Best Of' which was alot cheaper but it did not have all the extras.
Posted By: RadioBeach Re: Joy Division - 11/25/08 04:07 PM
In case anyone is interested, the recent (2007) vinyl remasters of Unknown Pleasures and Closer are being sold by Fopp for £5 each! eek
Posted By: Ivan Basso Re: Joy Division - 12/12/08 08:15 PM
I won't be buying anything I've got my memories
Liverpool Polytechnic 2 October 1979
Buzzcocks were good , but JD were indescribably awesome

"I remember when I was young "

079. 02 Oct 1979: Mountford Hall, Liverpool
Notes: This was the opening gig of the 24 date Buzzcocks
tour in Britain which Joy Division played support to.
Like several other nights Joy Division completely blew
Buzzcocks off stage
Posted By: maryann Re: Joy Division - 12/14/08 11:38 AM
Quote:
In case anyone is interested, the recent (2007) vinyl remasters of Unknown Pleasures and Closer are being sold by Fopp for £5 each! eek
eek Perhaps next they will be included free in the Sunday papers. :rolleyes:
Posted By: MemberD Re: Joy Division - 12/18/08 01:04 PM
Not quite free but ..here's a bargain for Uk-people.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Joy-Division/dp/B001B2S41I/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1229542682&sr=8-2

Anyone seen this film?
Posted By: RadioBeach Re: Joy Division - 01/14/09 03:00 PM
Quote:
Not quite free but ..here's a bargain for Uk-people.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Joy-Division/dp/B001B2S41I/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1229542682&sr=8-2

Anyone seen this film?
I must admit, when I first heard about this I was a bit blasé about it ("Oh great...ANOTHER Joy Division/Factory documentary - hmmmm - better put it with all the other Joy Division/Factory documentaries at the 'EU Joy Division/Factory documentary Mountain'depot...") but someone got me this for Christmas and I have to say - it is the best Joy Division documentary! laugh

Very well put together in all departments.
Posted By: MemberD Re: Joy Division - 01/14/09 03:04 PM
Ok . .thanks Beach. Could be an idea for birthday boy before not so very long...ehem. :rolleyes:
Posted By: RadioBeach Re: Joy Division - 01/14/09 03:16 PM
Fopp in Covent Garden have the following Hardback edition for £2! eek

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Torn-Apart-Life-...31946071&sr=8-5

'Torn Apart - The Life of Ian Curtis' by Mick Middles
Posted By: MemberD Re: Joy Division - 07/15/09 10:32 AM
Joy Div & John Peel to be honoured in..Rochdale nme.com
Posted By: MemberD Re: Joy Division - 04/09/10 09:00 AM
"Joy Division not dead yet" shock ...

this 30 year anniversary thing . .everyone's at it

NME

:rolleyes:
Posted By: Lody Herst Re: Joy Division - 04/09/10 09:45 AM
Peter's hooked on Ian.
Ian's Joy Division's Syd Barrett now.
Posted By: RadioBeach Re: Joy Division - 04/09/10 09:54 AM
Quote:
"Joy Division not dead yet" shock ...

this 30 year anniversary thing . .everyone's at it

NME

...!

Really dunno what to say to that. A bit speechless to be honest. That's just too awful an idea to think about.

So, it's some bloke sat in an armchair reliving his youth and then later on he gets his bass out and chops out a few numbers from the 'good ol' days'?

Posted By: core memory Re: Joy Division - 04/09/10 10:03 AM
Yes, I thought 'Classic Album Tour', and I know someone who would really want to go see it (and try to persuade me to join), and then I read the actual format... the interest level plummeted right away!
Posted By: Ivan Basso Re: Joy Division - 04/09/10 10:11 AM
That's horrendous I hereby sentence Peter Hook to the seventh circle of musical hell along with Paul Young .
I wouldn't even go if Hook sent me a helicopter full of drop dead beautiful hostesses alongside a crate of champagne and a copious supplies of cocaine
My 19 year old self still remembers them supporting "The Buzzcocks" at Liverpool Poly I'll never find the words to describe it , but remember Hooky
"It was something so pure , which can't function no more "
Posted By: Birdsong Re: Joy Division - 05/02/10 07:26 PM
May 2nd 1980 - Curtis last stand with Joy Division.
Posted By: RadioBeach Re: Joy Division - 11/16/10 08:02 PM
The Factory Cash Cow is offering more milk...

Rhino Records UK / Warner Music are proud to announce the release of '+ -" (plus minus) - a unique JOY DIVISION retrospective box set consisting of 10 7" singles on vinyl presented in a beautiful clamshell box. All tracks have been newly re-mastered from original tapes by Stephen Morris and Frank Arkwright (Metropolis Studios) with creative direction for '+ -" box set artwork coming from Peter Saville.

Compiled by renowned journalist and author Jon Savage, the boxset is released in celebration of Ian Curtis - in the year that is the 30th anniversary of his death. +- includes 7"'s which have previously been issued and some which have been created specifically for this release. Although they released two albums in two years - "Unknown Pleasures" (1979) and "Closer" (1980), JOY DIVISION recorded many other tracks throughout their career that were released on stand-alone singles - most notably 'Transmission" and 'Love Will Tear Us Apart". +- brings these singles, and more, together in one place. Anyone purchasing the physical box will have the opportunity to download (for free) all the tracks in hi quality mp3 format.

As a co-founder of the legendary independent label FACTORY RECORDS Peter Saville leant his eyes to the project providing stunning outer packaging and suggesting the concept for the sleeves. Each cover is based upon its original and - as a snapshot of a band and a time - serves to remind the owner of the unique position Joy Division hold in British musical history.

+- boxes are individually numbered 1-5000. Numbers 1-500 will be available as a super deluxe version and will contain a limited edition Peter Saville art piece as well as two exclusive promotional CD’s “+” and “-“.

http://www.rhino.co.uk/store/products,-plus-minus-standard_39546.htm
Posted By: RadioBeach Re: Joy Division - 11/16/10 08:45 PM
laugh

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Joy-Division-Colou...2#ht_702wt_1132
Posted By: Gary Hunter Re: Joy Division - 11/16/10 08:51 PM
Quote:
I've seen it all now!!!!
Posted By: Ivan Basso Re: Joy Division - 11/16/10 10:14 PM
But where might I purchase The Joy Division Oven Gloves ?
Posted By: RadioBeach Re: Joy Division - 11/17/10 10:14 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Ivan Basso:
But where might I purchase The Joy Division Oven Gloves ?
laugh
Posted By: Stringy Bob Re: Joy Division - 11/17/10 11:52 AM
You could try Mr. N. Blackwell, somewhere near Prenton Park, Birkenhead, Merseyside - I'm sure he'll have a few spare pairs lying around.

On somebody's YouTube video for another HMHB song there's a picture of Ian Curtis wearing oven gloves with the catalogue number FAC 225°C on them!

Ô¿Ô
Posted By: MemberD Re: Joy Division - 11/17/10 12:24 PM
Quote:
The Factory Cash Cow is offering more milk...
They're still milking The Beatles' Cash Cow with everything now being released on i-tunes (from one Apple to another it would seem) . .so JD still have come way to go.
Posted By: RadioBeach Re: Joy Division - 11/17/10 11:15 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Stringy Bob:
You could try Mr. N. Blackwell, somewhere near Prenton Park, Birkenhead, Merseyside - I'm sure he'll have a few spare pairs lying around.

On somebody's YouTube video for another HMHB song there's a picture of Ian Curtis wearing oven gloves with the catalogue number FAC 225°C on them!

Ô¿Ô
Quote:
Quote:
[b] The Factory Cash Cow is offering more milk...
They're still milking The Beatles' Cash Cow with everything now being released on i-tunes (from one Apple to another it would seem) . .so JD still have come way to go. [/b]
Did you guys ever see the Joy Division New Balance trainers a few years ago? Oh My - that was the start - I mean, never mind oven gloves...F**KING Trainers - I mean - when did Curtis ever wander round a running track??????????? eek

Posted By: the church puddle Re: Joy Division - 11/25/10 07:03 PM
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Stringy Bob:
[b] You could try Mr. N. Blackwell, somewhere near Prenton Park, Birkenhead, Merseyside - I'm sure he'll have a few spare pairs lying around.

Ô¿Ô
Quote:
Quote:
[b] The Factory Cash Cow is offering more milk...
They're still milking The Beatles' Cash Cow with everything now being released on i-tunes (from one Apple to another it would seem) . .so JD still have come way to go. [/b]
Did you guys ever see the Joy Division New Balance trainers a few years ago? Oh My - that was the start - I mean, never mind oven gloves...F**KING Trainers - I mean - when did Curtis ever wander round a running track??????????? eek

[/b]
Did these actually exist? It sounds too much like a joke. Please tell me it was just a joke... please...
Posted By: Stringy Bob Re: Joy Division - 11/25/10 07:35 PM
Well, if you thought that was bad, how about this?

http://seandodson.wordpress.com/2010/11/18/the-joy-division-colouring-book/

You couldn't make it up, could you? Still, as some wit on the HMHB lyrics project pointed out, you'd only need two colours - black and grey!

Ô¿Ô
Posted By: MemberD Re: Joy Division - 02/01/12 11:04 AM
We may jape about these things chaps, but here's another JD-inspired thing which is *for real*

info: http://www.rollingstone.com/music/blogs/...se-tee-20120123
Posted By: RadioBeach Re: Joy Division - 02/01/12 01:18 PM
Oh god. "Where will it eeeeeeeeeeeend? WHERE WILL IT EEEEEEEND!!!?"

I saw someone wearing this one on Saturday night -

http://www.rockabilia.com/browse/artists-groups/s/surfer-blood/surfer-blood-astro-coast-t-shirt.html
Posted By: RadioBeach Re: Joy Division - 02/16/12 01:41 PM
And this happened the other day…

Jamie Oliver finds Joy Division and New Order rare tapes in basement

Rare tapes of recordings by Joy Division and New Order have been found in a haul of valuable items in the basement of Jamie Oliver's new restaurant.

The Grade II listed building on King Street in Manchester was once occupied by Midland Bank, which is now part of the HSBC brand. Tapes of recordings by New Order and Joy Division were found in an old bank vault at the site of Jamie Oliver's new restaurant.

On converting the site into a space suitable for Oliver's new restaurant, hundreds of safety deposit boxes were found, some dating back as far as 1935. Inside the drawers, master tapes of recordings by both Joy Division and New Order were discovered, as well as jewellery, gold and even a gun. HSBC said it could not confirm the contents of the boxes for reasons of confidentiality, but said it had wanted to take the boxes when it moved site.

'However [because the building is a Grade II listed building] National Heritage said we were unable to take the actual boxes with us, because they were part of the structure,' a spokesman for the bank explained. 'The owners would have been contacted and the contents transferred to secure storage at the new site.'

http://www.metro.co.uk/music/890385-jami...pes-in-basement
Posted By: MemberD Re: Joy Division - 02/16/12 01:47 PM

...but this one has turned out to be a hoax right?

..and Oliver was in a band called Scarlet Division .. right?
Posted By: RadioBeach Re: Joy Division - 02/16/12 02:29 PM
Originally Posted By: MemberD

...but this one has turned out to be a hoax right?

..and Oliver was in a band called Scarlet Division .. right?

Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! ;D
Posted By: MemberD Re: Joy Division - 03/02/12 12:37 PM
Hooky's at it again (he just can't still can he?):

Peter Hook And The Light Perform Joy Division’s “Still”

twwannggggg
Posted By: RadioBeach Re: Joy Division - 03/02/12 02:31 PM
Wha? Really!? WHY!!!!!!?????
Posted By: the church puddle Re: Joy Division - 03/20/12 08:18 PM
Followed by Substance, Permanent, and all the others? This could take years!
Posted By: RadioBeach Re: Joy Division - 03/21/12 10:51 AM
Originally Posted By: the church puddle
Followed by Substance, Permanent, and all the others? This could take years!

I'm disgusted that Hooky didn't charge £30 to watch the band do a tour just playing the Komakino flexi-disc.
Posted By: MemberD Re: Joy Division - 07/05/12 09:16 AM

Peter Hook to release Joy Division memoir in October

http://www.nme.com/news/joy-division/64703

Posted By: MemberD Re: Joy Division - 10/29/12 02:23 PM

Joy Division Colouring Book ...
http://pipergatesdesign.blogspot.co.uk/2010/11/joy-division-colouring-book.html

..excellent stocking filler for the kids!

Syd Barret / Byrds / Stone Roses also available .. collect 'em all!

Pretty sure this isn't for real, but it's very tastefully done by those people at Piper Gate Design.
© Metamatic