Metamatic
Posted By: RadioBeach Ultravox Box Set (Proper Ultravox) - 03/01/16 01:05 PM
The author David Buckley has mentioned on Facebook that he's just finished writing the sleeve notes for a Foxx-era Ultravox box set.

No idea if it's gonna be like the other Ultravox box set with that other bloke in it, or whether this one will have extras etc. History suggests it'll just be the albums without the extras.
Posted By: Rodney Re: Ultravox Box Set (Proper Ultravox) - 03/01/16 09:26 PM
The 'definitiveness' of this for fans and collectors will depend upon whether or not John's officially credited archivist has been involved.
Posted By: RadioBeach Re: Ultravox Box Set (Proper Ultravox) - 03/02/16 10:13 AM
Originally Posted By: Rodney
The 'definitiveness' of this for fans and collectors will depend upon whether or not John's officially credited archivist has been involved.

Hi Rodney,

Yes, I'd hope so! Must consider though that Cerise, Paul and Rob were given no sight or had any involvement with the previous box set (1980-2012) - mind you, that was on a different record label, so hopefully things are better this time.
Posted By: Rob Harris Re: Ultravox Box Set (Proper Ultravox) - 03/02/16 10:54 PM
Originally Posted By: RadioBeach
The author David Buckley has mentioned on Facebook that he's just finished writing the sleeve notes for a Foxx-era Ultravox box set.

No idea if it's gonna be like the other Ultravox box set with that other bloke in it, or whether this one will have extras etc. History suggests it'll just be the albums without the extras.

Yes, I'd hope so! Must consider though that Cerise, Paul and Rob were given no sight or had any involvement with the previous box set (1980-2012) - mind you, that was on a different record label, so hopefully things are better this time.

You're right, none of us (Cerise, Paul and / or myself) were involved in the Ultravox (1980 - 2012) box set which came out at the end of 2013.

However, I can confirm that I am involved in the forthcoming Foxx -era box set which has been mentioned above.

Unfortunately (and inevitably) I'm currently unable to discuss when it'll be released, its format or what it will contain. I will post more as and when it's all been confirmed.

Regards,

Rob
Posted By: Brian Re: Ultravox Box Set (Proper Ultravox) - 03/03/16 09:16 AM
That's good news.

Here's hoping it also comes on vinyl with download codes and has some unreleased stuff. grin

Brian
Posted By: Your Shadow Re: Ultravox Box Set (Proper Ultravox) - 03/03/16 11:36 AM
This sounds potentially very exciting.

I'm sure Rob, like the rest of us, has a list of tracks that he'd love to see included in this box set.

I loved the reissues that came out a few years ago. The only frustration was that a decision was made not to include anything that hadn't been previously officially released.

This is a chance to make up for that. I'm sure John has some interesting material that could be considered. I remember reading somewhere that Warren had a load of unreleased material on tape too from that era.
Posted By: Shadow Man Re: Ultravox Box Set (Proper Ultravox) - 03/03/16 06:22 PM
Yes, would be great if some surprises are included.
Posted By: Rodney Re: Ultravox Box Set (Proper Ultravox) - 03/03/16 10:02 PM
Assuming that the three studio albums will be included within this box-set, I hope the correct typeface for Systems Of Romance will be used this time around.

Oh, and that bloody mysterious 7-inch edit/version of Hiroshima Mon Amour, including an interview with C.C. about the two takes of the saxophone he played for the recording. I think that's about it. smirk
Posted By: RadioBeach Re: Ultravox Box Set (Proper Ultravox) - 03/03/16 10:10 PM
Originally Posted By: Brian
That's good news.

Here's hoping it also comes on vinyl with download codes and has some unreleased stuff. grin

Brian

laugh heh! Let's not add too much pressure to Rob - I suspect he's got enough on his plate...

Doesn't stop dreaming or drooling about what should be in it though!

*cough* DVD *splutter* CD of Stockholm '77 *cough* CD of a really good US Club Tour gig *splutter* laugh

Glad to hear you're at the helm Rob - steering it clear of any typo icebergs ahead! cool
Posted By: RadioBeach Re: Ultravox Box Set (Proper Ultravox) - 03/04/16 01:40 PM
I hope the correct typeface for Systems Of Romance will be used this time around.

Blimey! I hadn't noticed that before, now that I've compared my vinyl to my CD edition - yer right Rodney! Argh! Wish I'd not noticed now - my eyes are burning! grin
Posted By: Rodney Re: Ultravox Box Set (Proper Ultravox) - 03/06/16 04:18 AM
I think you'll find that, of all the digital fonts, Garamond 3 (along with Garamond 3 SC) is very close to the original pre-digital typeface used (at 19.405 pt for the CD cover titles).
Posted By: Gwilym Re: Ultravox Box Set (Proper Ultravox) - 04/10/16 08:30 PM
There's a 4-disc box set now showing on Amazon with a release date of 20/5/16:-

Amazon.co.uk
Posted By: Rob Harris Re: Ultravox Box Set (Proper Ultravox) - 04/10/16 09:09 PM
Originally Posted By: Gwilym
There's a 4-disc box set now showing on Amazon with a release date of 20/5/16:-

Amazon.co.uk

I was advised last week that I would be able to post full details about this release on Friday - but that there were still a few things which had to be finalised first.

I guess that the Amazon pre-order link was one of them.

Rob
Could be interesting. Won't hold my breath but might bait my breath.
Posted By: Rob Harris Re: Ultravox Box Set (Proper Ultravox) - 04/14/16 11:25 PM
It looks as though Amazon have attached the artwork to the pre-order link.

Rob

Posted By: Rob Harris Ultravox Box Set - 04/15/16 10:17 AM
The Island Years is a four CD box set featuring the band's three classic albums released by Island Records in 1977 and 1978, plus a bonus disc featuring twenty non-album singles, remixes and some previously unreleased recordings from the BBC.

The four discs are housed in a clam shell box and each have their own wallet, together with a twenty page booklet featuring a brand new essay by respected writer and music journalist David Buckley (David Bowie / Kraftwerk / Mojo).

Disc One is a newly remastered version of the band's debut album, Ultravox! from 1977 which was produced by Brian Eno and Steve Lillywhite.

Disc Two is a newly remastered version of the band's second album, Ha! Ha! Ha! from 1977 which was produced by Steve Lillywhite and Ultravox!.

Disc Three is the newly remastered version of the band's seminal third album, Systems Of Romance from 1978 which was produced by legendary German producer Conny Plank (Kraftwerk / Neu! / Cluster / Killing Joke).

Disc Four - Rare Retro - features twenty songs including four songs recorded in session for the Radio One John Peel show and two songs recorded live on the BBC television programme The Old Grey Whistle Test.

The full track-listing is as follows...

Disc One : Ultravox!

01. Satday Night In The City Of The Dead
02. Life At Rainbow's End (For All The Tax Exiles On Main Street)
03. Slip Away
04. I Want To Be A Machine
05. Wide Boys
06. Dangerous Rhythm
07. The Lonely Hunter
08. The Wild, The Beautiful And The Damned
09. My Sex

Disc Two : Ha! Ha! Ha!

01. ROckWrok
02. The Frozen Ones
03. Fear In The Western World
04. Distant Smile
05. The Man Who Dies Every Day
06. Artificial Life
07. While I'm Still Alive
08. Hiroshima Mon Amour

Disc Three : Systems Of Romance

01. Slow Motion
02. I Can't Stay Long
03. Someone Else's Clothes
04. Blue Light
05. Some Of Them
06. Quiet Men
07. Dislocation
08. Maximum Acceleration
09. When You Walk Through Me
10. Just For A Moment

Disc Four : Rare Retro

01. Young Savage
02. Slip Away (Live)
03. The Man Who Dies Every Day (Recorded Live At Huddersfield Polytechnic)
04. Young Savage (Recorded Live At The Marquee)
05. The Wild, The Beautiful And The Damned (Recorded Live At The Rainbow)
06. My Sex (Recorded Live At Huddersfield Polytechnic)
07. Young Savage (John Peel Session Version 28/11/1977)
08. The Man Who Dies Every Day (John Peel Session Version 28/11/1977)
09. My Sex (John Peel Session Version 28/11/1977)
10. Artificial Life (John Peel Session Version 28/11/1977)
11. ROckWrok (Seven Inch Version)
12. Hiroshima Mon Amour (Alternate Version)
13. Quirks
14. Modern Love (Live)
15. The Man Who Dies Every Day (Remix)
16. Slow Motion (Old Grey Whistle Test Version 05/12/1978)
17. Hiroshima Mon Amour (Old Grey Whistle Test Version 05/12/1978)
18. Quiet Men (Seven Inch Version)
19. Cross Fade
20. Quiet Men (Twelve Inch Version)

Pre-order it from Amazon : http://amzn.to/1qxvtew.

Label : Island Records / Caroline Records
Catalogue Number : CAROLR037CD
Release Date : 20 May 2016

Rob
Posted By: Brian Re: Ultravox Box Set - 04/15/16 10:38 AM
Cheers Rob cool

Are the Old Grey Whistle Test tracks in mono?

Brian
Posted By: Rob Harris Re: Ultravox Box Set - 04/15/16 11:12 AM
Originally Posted By: Brian
Cheers Rob cool

Are the Old Grey Whistle Test tracks in mono?

I can confirm that the two Old Grey Whistle Test tracks (Slow Motion and Hiroshima Mon Amour) are indeed in mono.

Rob
Posted By: Brian Re: Ultravox Box Set - 04/15/16 01:55 PM
Cheers Rob

Brian
Posted By: sdavies Re: Ultravox Box Set - 04/15/16 07:05 PM
Can you tell us who did the remastering this time? Also, why are the outtakes that I've read about still left in the vaults? And last, any plans for a vinyl (preferably colored) edition?

Thanks,
Scott
Posted By: the church puddle Re: Ultravox Box Set - 04/16/16 02:45 PM
Should be a nice item. Not the ultimate of course but I wasn't really expecting that. I don't think I have seen the image used on the 4th CD before - is that a Dennis Leigh original?
Posted By: Shadow Man Re: Ultravox Box Set - 04/16/16 06:13 PM
I have seen the image first in my 1978 Tour pamphlet and it was used for the text of Quiet Men. There are some other nice images for some other texts in it. So - YES it is a Dennis Leigh original.

Looking forward to this release. Though it is a bit sad there are no promo tracks on it. Great to have the Peel session and the Old Grey whistle test tracks on it.

City doesn't care / Carcrash Flashback - the outtake of the debut album, which Warren mentioned in an interview in the past- Would make a great vinyl single for the next Record Store Day...... wouldn't it?
Posted By: Birdsong Re: Ultravox Box Set - 04/16/16 06:20 PM

Thanks Andreas.

It also appears 'in big' as part of a large full colour feature published in Record Mirror on April 12th, 1980
Posted By: Rob Harris Re: Ultravox Box Set - 04/17/16 11:21 AM
Originally Posted By: Shadow Man
I have seen the image first in my 1978 Tour pamphlet and it was used for the text of Quiet Men. There are some other nice images for some other texts in it. So - YES it is a Dennis Leigh original.

Yes, that image definitely came from the 1978 Tour Pamphlet - I know, 'cos I provided it...

Rob
Posted By: sdavies Re: Ultravox Box Set - 04/17/16 12:23 PM
Can I get an answer to any of my questions?
Posted By: Rob Harris Re: Ultravox Box Set - 04/17/16 03:26 PM
Originally Posted By: sdavies
Can I get an answer to any of my questions?

Sorry, but running this website isn't my full-time job which means that I'm only able to answer questions as and when I have the spare time...

Can you tell us who did the remastering this time? Also, why are the outtakes that I've read about still left in the vaults? And last, any plans for a vinyl (preferably colored) edition?

Details of who did the mastering this time around is listed in the accompanying sleeve notes - and I haven't been given permission to post that information in advance of the release date.

The outtakes (etc.) could have been left in the vaults for any number of reasons; 1) perhaps releasing them was out of the scope of this project; 2) perhaps Island Records weren't able to licence previously unreleased material from their vaults to a third-party; 3) perhaps the band didn't want any of that material to be released; 4) something else altogether.

There are currently no plans (that I'm aware of) for The Island Years box set to be made available on vinyl.

Rob
Posted By: Your Shadow Re: Ultravox Box Set - 04/18/16 09:11 AM
I appreciate that plenty of work has gone into this box set but it does feel like a missed opportunity again.

I understand there are undivulged reasons why unreleased tracks or demos have not been included in the set but for those of us who bought the reissues in 2006 there is little to tempt us.

Sure we get the tracks from the John Peel Sessions and tracks from the Old Grey Whistle Test which are welcome but I don't know if it's enough to justify releasing a four cd box set. Most fans will have already bought the three albums on vinyl, original cds and possibly the reissues. Perhaps the Retro cd could have been released on its own for those who didn't want to buy the three albums yet again.

This is not a criticism of your efforts Rob. I'm sure your hands were tied with regard contents and would have loved a lot more to have been included. I'm not happy unless I have the occaisional grumble.
Posted By: Rob Harris Re: Ultravox Box Set - 04/20/16 05:13 AM
It's currently available to pre-order from Amazon for only £16.99 cool

Rob
Posted By: RadioBeach Re: Ultravox Box Set - 04/20/16 07:30 AM
Originally Posted By: Your Shadow
I appreciate that plenty of work has gone into this box set but it does feel like a missed opportunity again.

I understand there are undivulged reasons why unreleased tracks or demos have not been included in the set but for those of us who bought the reissues in 2006 there is little to tempt us.

Sure we get the tracks from the John Peel Sessions and tracks from the Old Grey Whistle Test which are welcome but I don't know if it's enough to justify releasing a four cd box set. Most fans will have already bought the three albums on vinyl, original cds and possibly the reissues. Perhaps the Retro cd could have been released on its own for those who didn't want to buy the three albums yet again.

This is not a criticism of your efforts Rob. I'm sure your hands were tied with regard contents and would have loved a lot more to have been included. I'm not happy unless I have the occaisional grumble.

I understand your grumbles I really do. But anything that's unreleased is probably still on tape, and the cost of transferring and mastering those tapes - with great care - can be a very expensive business.

I cannot speak for the band members etc - but I imagine that - even if they were all in agreement about certain tracks being released, perhaps the cost of doing so was just not achievable.
Posted By: Your Shadow Re: Ultravox Box Set - 04/20/16 11:18 AM
I understand your grumbles I really do. But anything that's unreleased is probably still on tape, and the cost of transferring and mastering those tapes - with great care - can be a very expensive business.

I cannot speak for the band members etc - but I imagine that - even if they were all in agreement about certain tracks being released, perhaps the cost of doing so was just not achievable. [/quote]

Fair point Rads. I should just be happy for the extras I guess.
Posted By: solenoid Re: Ultravox Box Set - 04/20/16 11:57 AM
Yep. the vinyl version of SOR I have is well and truly dead (overplayed using bad stylus, but I needed a fix).
CD version too now beginning to skip and hop a bit, so now might be the time! I searched, but could

SOR t-shirt would be nice.
Should I wait for the reunion tour for that? wink

Found out that I don't have Ultravox! on CD. What kind of a fan am I?
Posted By: RadioBeach Re: Ultravox Box Set - 04/21/16 08:50 AM
Heh! Go and stand in the corner and think upon your sins! laugh

Yes, a limited edition SOR reissue in clear vinyl with print and download code please Rob! No rush! laugh

Seriously though - my copy of SOR is playable-ish...Solenoid - I think it's the inner sleeve, as lovely as it is, I think its heavy card has knackered the vinyl a bit.
Posted By: Gwilym Re: Ultravox Box Set - 04/23/16 07:22 PM
On the subject of Ultravox, is the 'Ultravox.org.uk' site down for maintenance? I've been unable to access it for several days now.
Posted By: Brian Re: Ultravox Box Set - 04/23/16 08:06 PM
The site was taken offline last week when 123.reg accidently deleted a load of sites.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36072240

It's still not been restored.

Brian
Posted By: solenoid Re: Ultravox Box Set - 04/24/16 01:15 AM
Brian, did you see who the reporter was for that?

Absolutely amazing!
Posted By: Brian Re: Ultravox Box Set - 04/24/16 07:54 AM
Ha Ha no I didn't .Chris Foxx😃

Brian
Posted By: Rob Harris Re: Ultravox Box Set - 05/24/16 11:13 AM
I've just been advised that the release date for The Island Years box set has, due to unprecedented demand, been put back to the 10th of June.

It's currently available to pre-order from Amazon cool

Rob
Posted By: feline1 Re: Ultravox Box Set - 06/02/16 12:00 AM
Doh, I only just noticed this!

So basically, if you bought the last set of remastered Ultravox CDs (which were very nice), there's no further material on this set other than the Peel Session and audio-only versions of the Whistle Test.
Or do I also spot 1 or 2 additional 7" edits of RockWrock and Quiet Men in there? (The difference is surely minimal?)

The completist in me will probably still buy it for that wink

As regards to vault-mine or not-to-vault mine:
there is a school of thought that says "you don't do a George Lucas on a classic album, and add in extra tracks that were not released at the time BECAUSE THEY WEREN'T VERY GOOD".
I can kinda respect that.
On the other hand though, in that case, I don't really see the need for this re-issue in the first place then - just keep the three existing CDs on catalogue, let the BBC release their Peel Session if they want to. (The Whistle Test stuff already has been released on DVD, has it not? It's on YouTube at any rate...)
Posted By: feline1 Re: Ultravox Box Set - 06/02/16 12:03 AM

If a record company can't afford to play its own bloody tapes, they've got one helluva screwed up business model! wink They're presumably paying to store them!
Posted By: Your Shadow Re: Ultravox Box Set - 06/14/16 08:46 AM
I received my copy yesterday. I haven't had a chance to listen yet but nice enough package. Nice little booklet enclosed too.
Posted By: sdavies Re: Ultravox Box Set - 06/16/16 01:58 AM
So I just read on another forum that the single versions of a few tracks are clearly mastered from vinyl and not mastertapes. Are these tapes lost or did no one look for them? Are the rest of the tracks new mastertape transfers or just tweaked versions of the last remasters? My box is on the way and I'm already getting concerned. Source material should always been mentioned in this day and age of cost cutting shortcuts or tweak and re-release.

Scott
Posted By: Rob Harris Re: Ultravox Box Set - 06/16/16 09:03 AM
So I just read on another forum that the single versions of a few tracks are clearly mastered from vinyl and not mastertapes.

On which forum does that appear?

Rob
Posted By: sdavies Re: Ultravox Box Set - 06/16/16 11:18 AM
http://www.nwoutpost.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=39266

Originally Posted By: Rob Harris
So I just read on another forum that the single versions of a few tracks are clearly mastered from vinyl and not mastertapes.

On which forum does that appear?

Rob
Posted By: Rob Harris Re: Ultravox Box Set - 06/16/16 02:05 PM
So I just read on another forum that the single versions of a few tracks are clearly mastered from vinyl and not mastertapes. Are these tapes lost or did no one look for them? Are the rest of the tracks new mastertape transfers or just tweaked versions of the last remasters? My box is on the way and I'm already getting concerned. Source material should always been mentioned in this day and age of cost cutting shortcuts or tweak and re-release.

I hope that the following will help clarify matters...

The three Ultravox! albums (Ultravox!, Ha! Ha! Ha! and Systems Of Romance) were all remastered back in 2006 from the original master tapes. Discs One, Two and Three in The Island Years box set have been remastered using the 2006 masters.

All of the tracks contained on Disc Four - Rare Retro - that also appeared on the 2006 CDs have been remastered using the 2006 masters.

The four John Peel session tracks (Young Savage, The Man Who Dies Every Day, My Sex and Artificial Life) and the two tracks from the Old Grey Whistle Test (Slow Motion and Hiroshima Mon Amour) were mastered using audio supplied by the BBC.

The single edits of ROckWrok and Quiet Men and the twelve inch version of Quiet Men had to be taken from vinyl as unfortunately (and despite extensive searching) the master tapes could not be located in the Island archive.

All of the audio contained on The Island Years box set was approved by John Foxx.

The Island Years box set is currently available from Amazon cool

Rob
Posted By: feline1 Re: Ultravox Box Set - 06/25/16 08:43 PM
Arrrgh!

So, if someone already has the (really rather good) 2006 CDs, this set really does scrape the barrel a bit!

How the hell do record labels manage to lose their master tapes?!? ARRRRGH

Are the Peel Session arrangements much different to the album versions? Given how wild the ARP Odyssey could be, one might hope so! smile However rebuying 3 albums for 4 Peel Sessions is a bit much!

And honestly, if the other tracks are just vinyl rips, that's not much better than you'd find on a torrent site! /sighs/
Posted By: the church puddle Re: Ultravox Box Set - 07/12/16 06:04 PM
Originally Posted By: Your Shadow
I received my copy yesterday. I haven't had a chance to listen yet but nice enough package. Nice little booklet enclosed too.

Agreed, it looks great, very tasteful, and the essay is well worth a read - I'm sure there is some stuff in there I wasn't aware of before. Incidentally if you are quick there is an article on Hiroshima Mon Amour in the latest Uncut magazine with contributions from John, Billy and Steve (Lillywhite).
Posted By: feline1 Re: Ultravox Box Set - 02/21/17 06:08 PM
finally picked up a copy of this!
Yeah, Quiet Men and Rockwrock single edits are audibly taken from vinyl. Oh well. I haven't even work out what is lopped off on Rockwrock compared to the album version yet, did they just edit out a chorus repeat or something? (I didn't notice any new dubs or extra parts) - if it's only a shorted edit, they could've remade it digitally from the album version!
Posted By: feline1 Re: Ultravox Box Set - 02/21/17 06:10 PM
the sound mix on the Old Grey Whistle Test performance is all over the place - I bet the BBC sound engineer didn't know what had hit him, hah! I was never too taken with that live arrangement of Hiroshima Mon Amour - the bass and guitar are a bit wick compared the album version with its layered Elka strings, violin and sax
Posted By: feline1 Re: Ultravox Box Set - 02/21/17 06:14 PM
the Peel Session versions are pretty decent! I never tire of hearing Man Who Dies Everyday.
Posted By: feline1 Re: Ultravox Box Set - 02/25/17 07:54 AM
I quite enjoyed reading the sleevenotes in the booklet, principally cos it had a fair few interview quotes from Billy and Chris (and the same old platitudes from John, ahem wink ) Dunno why they didn't speak to Warren or Robin (or even, heaven forbid, track down Stevie Shears).

Billy's comments on Eno seem a bit confused, though - don't know if the journalist got mixed up when editing it - he refers to John letting him stick a big piece of Steve Reich/Bartok style music on the end of "Slip Away".... surely this is supposed to "I Want to Be A Machine"? Which does indeed basically stop the song, and go into another couple of minutes of riffy jagged violin which does bear comparison with Reich's "Violin Phase".
But he then complains about Eno sticking all this obvious miniMoog over it ... and I can hear no moog on the end of "I Want to Be A Machine" but there is a bit on the end of "Slip Away", and it does sound like Eno (same timbres as some of the tracks of "Music for Films") - although it's fairly subtle in the mix, I had to listen out for it! Maybe Billy got his way and had a lot of it turned down or taken off again!
Sounds to me like two anecdotes got conflated/confused when they wrote up the booklet.
Posted By: Nisei Re: Ultravox Box Set - 02/28/18 12:06 AM
Originally Posted By: feline1
finally picked up a copy of this!
Yeah, Quiet Men and Rockwrock single edits are audibly taken from vinyl. Oh well. I haven't even work out what is lopped off on Rockwrock compared to the album version yet, did they just edit out a chorus repeat or something? (I didn't notice any new dubs or extra parts) - if it's only a shorted edit, they could've remade it digitally from the album version!

They could have indeed. In fact, anyone with a bit of skill in audio editing can make these edits from the full versions. They've probably wasted more time cleaning up the digitised vinyl copies than it would've taken them to do some cutting from the full versions...
© Metamatic