Metamatic
So it’s September 1981 and a 13 year old Herbert the turbot is tuning into Top Of The Pops, the UK’s biggest music TV show. Amongst the acts that have gained a coveted slot on the show is John Foxx, who performs a sprightly version of his new single “Europe After The Rain”, which is a new entry in the top 40, albeit at number 40.
The single is also being heavily played on Radio One, particularly in the teatime and evening slots, as Radio One DJs such as Janice Long and Richard Skinner are big John Foxx fans. “Europe After The Rain” seems to have captured that late summer mood perfectly, its more organic feel likely to attract new fans who found the Metamatic era too electronic, but at the same time not alienating those who’d followed John’s career since the Ultravox days.

The next Tuesday, Herbert the turbot is tuned into his radio for the rundown of the new top forty, which is announced in a reverse order, ten chart placings at a time. Chart placings from 40 to 31 are announced and John isn’t in there – yes, at last! John’s got his first top 30 hit!
But it gets even better – the single isn’t between 30-21 either, so it must have gone top twenty.
When there’s no mention between 20-11 either, it’s starting to sound incredible; so many people must have been impressed by “Europe After The Rain” that it’s shot up over 30 places into the top ten, one of the biggest chart rises ever! It’s unlikely but not impossible; after all other synthpop acts like Numan, OMD and even Ultravox have become top ten regulars in the past year.

Songs 10 to 2 are read out and still no “Europe After The Rain”. Could it really be that it’s crashed into the Number One slot? Again it sounds incredible, but if some comedy Italian impersonator like Joe Dolce can do it……

But no – the number one is something else altogether; there’s no sign of “Europe After The Rain” in the charts at all. I even listen to the repeat of the chart rundown at teatime just in case the DJ’s made a mistake, but no, it’s not there.

Only when I buy Record Mirror later in the week do I find that, far from shooting up the charts, “Europe After The Rain”, actually fell one place and is now just outside the top 40 and therefore ineligible for further Top Of The Pops performances or heavy rotation on Radio 1.

It seemed amazing then and it still does that John performed his best, most commercial song to an audience of millions on the mainstream BBC1 peak time music show and the song actually sold less copies than it did the week before! Remember this was the days before internet, commercial radio, even satellite television; even MTV was a couple of years away. Hence if you wanted to hear new music, there really was only Radio One and Top Of The Pops; as such both had audiences well into their millions.

You might think; so what – just as well John never made it truly big. He probably never craved massive fame, and when you see what it did to contemporary singers like Adam Ant, Steve Strange and Boy George, it’s probably just as well. And by remaining on the fringes as a “niche” artist, John was able to get away with making music in his own distinctive style rather than selling out and doing bland MOR music for the masses like Simple Minds or Tears For Fears,

Yet deep down, wouldn’t it have been nice just once if John’s music had really made an impact on the mass market and achieved the commercial success it deserved?
It would have been fab, I agree with you Herbert.
Probably shared your experience, to an extent.

Sadly, I'm not convinced that Virgin really, genuinely 'believed' in John Foxx...
Hi Herbert.
What a lovely story about Europe. I also saw it live on TV, god it was a long time ago. I don't think Johns costume did him any favours. I slso felt at the time it would do better than it did.

Even before that with Underpass, I thought it deserved to do better especially has I was playing the vinyl all the time.

Although at 7 minutes long The Garden could have been edited down for a single. I still think that would have done well as a single but it's a classic track that has stood the test of time.

I also wonder sometimes, even though Burning Car/20th Century was a double A side had 20th Century been given more air play would that have been more successful?. IMO 20th Century is another classic. We'll never know.

Thank you for such a thought provoking subject Herbert.

Peter
I agree. EATR was one of Johns finest moments. It was ripe to do better in the charts. cant understand why it did not for the life of me.

It just fit exactly with that period of time, after punk. I dont know whether you could call it a New Romantic, poser moment in time. It was just different.

It was just perfectly, exquisitly appropriate.
I think the thing to remember is that after four singles which were mainly electronic, a song which appeared featuring pianos and acoustic guitars would have been somewhat bewildering to the general record buying public.
Quote:
Originally posted by Halloway:
I think the thing to remember is that after four singles which were mainly electronic, a song which appeared featuring pianos and acoustic guitars would have been somewhat bewildering to the general record buying public.
A not-unreasonable point but then there was the "transition" single "Miles Away" that preceded it which, while still being predominantly electronic, did feature real drums. And of course there would still have been many Ultravox Mk 1 fans around who may have found Metamatic too electronic.

Also many of John's contemporaries were moving away from synths towards real instruments at the time; OMD were using massed strings and choirs (albeit Mellotron ones) and Numan was going down the slap bass, sax and wailing female vocals blind alley that it took him a decade to find a way out of.

Anyway, in the unlikely event there's anyone on here who's never seen the TOTP performance I'm referring to, have a look on the link below. Doesn't that look like a top 10 hit in waiting to you? wink

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ZjYw12Buao
Classic wink
I always thorght 'Walk Away' the obvious single.
All I can really comment about here is just my experience of it at the time. For me, it sometimes seemed to be the case with John’s work back then, and since (as in the returning early years of John and Louis working together) that I often caught the release of something completely by chance, and perhaps if I blinked I might have missed any promotion of EATR on its release.

I casually turned on the radio one late summers afternoon and there it was unexpectedly playing away about midway through.

Remembering that moment, I really can still recall the tingle of excitement I felt about hearing it for the first time, its lyrical sweep, and music seemingly almost running backwards at times in a gentle psychedelic style. As Herbert points out, we had been primed for this more lush and wistful sound by the Miles Away single having already taken us on that journey away from Metamatic.

I also saw it performed on TOTP’s, and once more, I nearly missed this, having been dragged out to the pub by fellow housemates (I was a student at that time). There was John on the tiny TV above the bar, and although those I was with knew about my Foxxaddiction I still had to strain my antenna to watch it over everyone’s chatter.

Quote:
Originally posted by Furniture:
EATR was one of Johns finest moments. It just fits exactly with that period of time.. I dont know whether you could call it a New Romantic, poser moment in time. It was just different.
I have to agree, but we will all remember that many people were still hung up back then about what they perceived as ‘posing’ or ‘posers’ in music, and seemed unable to get beyond that towards the music, and it’s always a handy criticism if you just didn’t happen to ‘get it’ or clearly weren’t going to be persuaded into liking a particular kind of music. And yet fast forward to now and practically everybody of any musical bent ‘strikes a pose’. There’s long been plenty of avenues of ‘theatricality’ in the music in the charts regardless of its genre or sentiment, and now it’s just intensely commonplace, but I despair slightly when I read a few of the positive reviews of Mirrorball, in particular the references to John and his work, the ‘P’ word has unnecessarily still re-surfaced, why is there still this need to slip in the word ‘pretentious’ (albeit in a friendly way) when summarising some of his output.

I can’t recall if I thought at the time with EATR that “this is it, the moment is right and everyone is going to be into John Foxx now”, but sadly as a single it came and vanished in a flash from airplay to join the rest of those obscure and beautiful sounds someplace out in the ether.
Hi CM,

I didnt necessarily mean posers in any negative kind of way. I just didnt know how to describe the mode of fashion or being then that fit with that feeling of that moment in time.
No worries Furniture smile I know what you mean, and I’m sure I did my own fair bit of posing eek It’s just the way that some ‘critics’ back then would tar everything with the same brush that they considered as appearing to be either slick or transient, and more annoyingly, not necessarily being ‘serious music’ with something to say. Does music have to ‘say’ anything, as long as its emotive enough to create a resonance in your mind.
There is also the possibility of course that not enough people actually liked it...

But that's just silly :p
Only just read this thread - :rolleyes:

I didn't realise it didn't do so well . .really? only one week in the charts at no. 40?? criminal.. but I'm sort of thinking along the same lines that it threw a lot of people (like me) who'd considered him an *electronic* artist.

However compare it with OMD's Souvenir which came out at the same time, and if memory serves me right was on TOTP the same night, and was I think their biggest hit with something completely different from the previous single electronic sounding "Enola Gay".

Funny old year 1981 ....
I never really noticed the difference from the more synth based Foxx singles and 'Europe After The Rain', not sure why, as it was quite a change back to a 'band feel' again. Still remember being pleased to see John back on TOTP's with it though. Then a little sad to find it not really getting anywhere in the charts. I looked the next week and it was gone......
Quote:
Originally posted by Birdsong:
There is also the possibility of course that not enough people actually liked it...

But that's just silly :p
Yes i cant image that to be the case. smile

It must have charted on the week people didn't want the word 'rain' in a song title. frown
I cannot even imagine what the big 'hit' was over here at that time. :rolleyes:
These were the number 1's of the British Pop charts of 1981.

"Imagine" John Lennon
"Shaddap You Face" Joe Dolce Music
"Jealous Guy" Roxy Music
"This Ole House" Shakin' Stevens
"Making Your Mind Up" Bucks Fizz
"Stand and Deliver" Adam and the Ants
"Being With You" Smokey Robinson
"One Day In Your Life" Michael Jackson
"Ghost Town" The Specials
"Green Door" Shakin' Stevens
"Japanese Boy" Aneka
"Tainted Love" Soft Cell
"Prince Charming" Adam and the Ants
"It's My Party" Dave Stewart and Barbara Gaskin
"Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic" The Police
"Under Pressure" Queen and David Bowie

"Begin the Beguine" Julio Iglesias
"Don't You Want Me" The Human League
Quote:
Originally posted by Furniture:
These were the number 1's of the British Pop charts of 1981.

"Imagine" John Lennon
"Jealous Guy" Roxy Music
"Stand and Deliver" Adam and the Ants
"Being With You" Smokey Robinson
"One Day In Your Life" Michael Jackson
"Ghost Town" The Specials
"Tainted Love" Soft Cell
"Prince Charming" Adam and the Ants
"Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic" The Police
"Under Pressure" Queen and David Bowie
"Don't You Want Me" The Human League
Ive edited to the best songs imo, but even the Shaky ones etc are better than todays charts. frown What the hel' happened to music. Sure theres some great stuff around still, but in the charts.....no way hosay. smile
I understand what you mean, K. Pretty sad state of things music-wise. frown
Quote:
Originally posted by maryann:
I understand what you mean, K. Pretty sad state of things music-wise. frown
Even more sad, if 'Europe After The Rain' was re-released now, as vinyl or download, what would be the chance of it even getting to number 40 this time.
Quote:
Originally posted by Newvox
Even more sad, if 'Europe After The Rain' was re-released now, as vinyl or download, what would be the chance of it even getting to number 40 this time
How many sales does it take to get to number 40 in the UK charts these days? I'm guessing somewhere between 2 and 3,000. On that basis I would say it would have no chance. I would be surprised if it could make that total over the lifetime of a re-release, let alone in one week. Even the mighty Depeche Mode are struggling these days - 'Peace' was only in the top 100 for one week and never made the top forty! (probably no air-play mind, which would be the same problem 'Europe After The Rain' would encounter)
Quote:
Originally posted by MikeG:
I would be surprised if it could make that total over the lifetime of a re-release, let alone in one week.

Even the mighty Depeche Mode are struggling these days - 'Peace' was only in the top 100 for one week and never made the top forty!
Yes those points sum it up pretty much. frown
And over here I just shake my head at which songs make it on the charts. frown

The best source for music was and still is college radio stations.
Quote:
Quote:
Originally posted by Newvox
[b]Even more sad, if 'Europe After The Rain' was re-released now, as vinyl or download, what would be the chance of it even getting to number 40 this time
How many sales does it take to get to number 40 in the UK charts these days? I'm guessing somewhere between 2 and 3,000. On that basis I would say it would have no chance. I would be surprised if it could make that total over the lifetime of a re-release, let alone in one week. Even the mighty Depeche Mode are struggling these days - 'Peace' was only in the top 100 for one week and never made the top forty! (probably no air-play mind, which would be the same problem 'Europe After The Rain' would encounter) [/b]
I have no idea what happens with charts these days, and suspect that now downloads are counted, they are largely meaningless.

But back in the 1980s they seemed really important, not just because of that rivalry you had with your schoolfriends and "my favourite band is bigger than your favourite band" arguments. A high chart placing brought with it more exposure in the form of TV and radio appearances and the artist's records were more widely available.

I'm not even sure what constitutes a "single" these days. To take the Depeche Mode example, surely "Peace" has been available for months to download as part of the "Sounds Of The Universe" album. If there's no physical product, how does it become a single exactly and not just an album track?
Thinking back to the early 80s, the music industry is so different. As you say, chart position was important because it meant TV exposure. I remember that you would consider yourself really lucky if you saw a John Foxx video more than twice. Ever. There weren't videos on the net, or wall-to-wall music channels. If you missed 'Top of the Pops' there weren't seventeen other chances to watch it on BBCs 2 through 4, or any iPlayer to watch again. There was a genuine feeling of excitement when a video you wanted to watch popped up on TV.

At the risk of sounding like an old fart, it's almost too easy these days.
Quote:
Originally posted by Halloway:
Thinking back to the early 80s, the music industry is so different. ....I remember that you would consider yourself really lucky if you saw a John Foxx video more than twice. Ever. ... video you wanted to watch popped up on TV.
Video?!?!? what was that? TOTP appearance was THE thing to do / watch / see . .maybe a Saturday morning children's program, or even OGWT but that was it!
Old f*rts of the world unite!
[/QUOTE]How many sales does it take to get to number 40 in the UK charts these days? I'm guessing somewhere between 2 and 3,000.

I read the other day that the No:3 single in the charts, (whatever that may have been, like most of us 'old farts' I don't take any interest in them these days...) sold just 450 physical copies (7in or cd), the rest were downloads. I guess the days' of the single are well and truly numbered. (No pun intended!)
Going a bit off topic (okay a lot) ....

A new way of listening to music is via a website to which you pay a monthly fee and then you can listen to anything on the site. If enough people start 'buying' their music in this manner then I'm sure it will be taken into account when it comes to charty time. Not sure what weighting it would be given though - probably not as much as actually downloading or buying a CD.
Via Facebook and Twitter, Saint Etienne's Bob Stanley has made Europe After The Rain his 'Song of the Week'
Nice to see one of my old threads making a reappearance.

Since starting this thread two years ago, "Europe After The Rain" seems to have finally got recognition by way of featuring on one of the Ministry Of Sound's 1980s compilations and as such has probably been heard by more people over the past year than when it was first released!

http://www.tescoentertainment.com/store/mp3/various-artists-ministry-of-sound-anthems-electronic-80s-2/2%3A47509891/
It should have really been a massive hit, it sounded fresh at the time of release and even to this day is a pleasure to listen to.
30th anniversary coming up this year of course..
smile

New video upload from TOTP .. quality still a bit poor, but there's the Peter Powell intro..

http://youtu.be/mtRwlXZl3c4
Originally Posted By: MemberD

New video upload from TOTP .. quality still a bit poor, but there's the Peter Powell intro..

http://youtu.be/mtRwlXZl3c4

Only just noticed that the TOTP appearance features a second synth player. I know that Eddie and Sunshine were on synth and piano respectively, but who's the other guy playing synth to John's right?

Meanwhile, from the sublime to the (faintly) ridiculous, have you ever wanted to hear a cover of Europe After The Rain by an ageing Spanish new wave band?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAYNBLyeh0w
Originally Posted By: Herbert the turbot

Only just noticed that the TOTP appearance features a second synth player. I know that Eddie and Sunshine were on synth and piano respectively, but who's the other guy playing synth to John's right?

Meanwhile, from the sublime to the (faintly) ridiculous, have you ever wanted to hear a cover of Europe After The Rain by an ageing Spanish new wave band?

www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAYNBLyeh0w

I really like it! it sounds like early Cure..well the instruments do..not sure about the voice.

Don't know about the guy on TOTP..playing bass synth.

It's Duncan Bridgeman I think, the 'other half' of Shake Shake (co-writers of A Long Time)

He played guitar and some synths on both The Garden and The Golden Section
Thanks for pointing me back to this thread Herbert, which I'd forgotten about.

I'd also forgotten about the Eddy & Sunshine connection. I made the wikipedia page for EATR last week and will duly add this info.

Interesting to see from E&S's own wiki page ( linky ) how they were linked to Ultravox/Urevox, even playing as support band during their RIE tour .. presumably around the same time as going on TOTP with JF?
ooh, the irony!
TOTP performance was indeed 3rd September 1981 ... also starring OMD, The Teardrop Explodes, Modern Roamnce, Bucks Fizz among others..
Foxxy "dancing like Andy McCluskey" ?? ( linkage )
I think, to be honest, Europe After The Rain does not have a very good vocal from John. The melody is a little awkward, and John is attempting to do a big kinda Frank-Sinatra-esque croony ballad-style vocal, but he's borderline off-pitch, and has either attempted to disguise this and/or exacerbated it in the mix by bunging a load of reverb and echo on his voice. This makes it a bit unfocussed and it doesn't come across and stridently and confidently as it needs to if it's to convince the pop-buying public that this is a Hit Single.

I mean don't get me wrong, it's a lovely song, the production is very pleasant and dreamy and I dig the reference to Max Ernst, but if you're gonna try and storm the charts with a ballad, you need to be able to cut it, vocal performance-wise, not just have good ideas and tasteful production.
Originally Posted By: feline1
I think, to be honest, Europe After The Rain does not have a very good vocal from John. The melody is a little awkward, and John is attempting to do a big kinda Frank-Sinatra-esque croony ballad-style vocal, but he's borderline off-pitch, and has either attempted to disguise this and/or exacerbated it in the mix by bunging a load of reverb and echo on his voice. This makes it a bit unfocussed and it doesn't come across and stridently and confidently as it needs to if it's to convince the pop-buying public that this is a Hit Single.

I mean don't get me wrong, it's a lovely song, the production is very pleasant and dreamy and I dig the reference to Max Ernst, but if you're gonna try and storm the charts with a ballad, you need to be able to cut it, vocal performance-wise, not just have good ideas and tasteful production.

Some valid points but compare with OMD's "Souvenir", from the same period and ironically on the same TOTP ...
That got to No. 3
Originally Posted By: MemberD

Some valid points but compare with OMD's "Souvenir", from the same period and ironically on the same TOTP ...
That got to No. 3

I see what you're getting at there ...
Paul Humphrey's vocal on Souvenir is certainly a bit pants, technically - but I think the difference is that the vibe of that song is to be kinda ethereal, soppy, "romantic" and gentle, and Paul's multi-tracked vocal does just about manage to suit that atmosphere (by the skin of its teeth) - whereas Europe After The Rain is trying to "sing out" and be a bit strident and declamatory - and doesn't quite make it.

Having said that, a lot of pop success is just random luck and nepotism wink

It would be interesting to hear Europe After the Rain sung by a strong soulful singer - although I don't think we have any left, Simon Cowell had them all shot and replaced by sickly autotuned muppets.
© Metamatic