Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline

1. Junior Boys

read here.

Administrator
Administrator
Cheers for this.

This goes back a long way.
There was a conversation between Jeremy Greenspan and John Foxx convened by Mark Fisher for 'Dazed & Confused' magazine in October 2006

It follows a recent listing here of Metamatic in the Junior Boys Top 10

https://www.nylon.com/articles/ten-albums-that-inspired-junior-boys

I believe Junior Boys were also among the contributors to Artrocker's Foxx week in 2011?

Last edited by Birdsong; 02/14/16 07:53 PM.

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline

Not a recording artist this time, but our good friend Jonathan Barnbrook who cites Foxx as an influence in his work:

Does anything come to mind that excited you visually, and you sought inspiration from, before beginning your career, that still resonates with you?

The musician John Foxx—his music, his artwork and his writing. He has been a constant influence on the themes I am interested in, and the visual language I use. The beauty he sees. The themes he is concerned with very closely match my own. I design his album covers, now, which I feel very lucky to do.

Full interview here:

https://grapevine.is/culture/design/2016...mes-to-iceland/

Administrator
Administrator

Thanks for sharing that laugh

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline
NEON .... no, I've no idea either, but they're well known in New Zealand and they play in a cathedral!

Quote:
"A lot of early electronic keyboard musicians like John Foxx of Ultravox really used the keyboard as a tool to express themselves and technical proficiency didn't really come into it..."

http://www.stuff.co.nz/nelson-mail/lifes...ght-nelson-2016

Last edited by MemberD; 07/01/16 09:44 AM.
MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline

Musician/DJ Mark Hawkins aka Marquis Hawkes

Foxx / Ultravox now offically 'Dad rock' !!

Quote:
And my dad’s got a massive record collection...[...]... the thing that really caught my attention that he had was [Ultravox founder and electro pioneer] John Foxx. That was one of the first things that really caught my ear.

Read here: theartsdesk

MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline

Magnetic Fields (Stephin Merritt):
Quote:
New wave taught him to play the synth and resent his mother’s new creep of a boyfriend because “He hates Neu and Can, Cluster, Eno and Japan”. It also introduced him to John Foxx. “He personified the rational man of the future, using technology indistinguishable from magic,” Merritt told the audience.

Source: http://observer.com/2016/12/the-magnetic-fields-return-with-a-surreal-masterwork-50-song-memoir/

Administrator
Administrator
Thanks Membs

There is to be a track on this album called

Foxx And I

MemberD Offline OP
OP Offline
Not exactly "new" but ...

lookin' out a dirty ol' window...

“Ricky’s influences at the time included Ultravox, John Foxx, Gary Numan, The Skids, Sex Pistols, Clash, Kraftwerk and The Stranglers,” says Kim. “Those were the records he was listening to non-stop, and those were the kind of records he wanted to make. He wanted to combine that synth element with a pop and rock sensibility to make the new sound. He had it very clearly in his head, and Kids In America really embodies that sound.”

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.