Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator

Stephin Merritt (Magnetic Fields) has long been a Foxx fan and lists Metamatic among the albums that have influenced him most.

An ambitious new album is due out on March 10th, 2017.
Called 50 Song Memoir, it is an 'autobiographical' album that traces his career and influences in 50 songs.

The lead song is "83 Foxx and I", and Nonesuch Recordshave just issued a wonderful video to accompany the track.

You can view it here.

http://www.nonesuch.com/journal/watch-ma...moir-2017-01-31

There is an extensive interview with Merritt about this fascinating project online here

http://www.nonesuch.com/journal/stephin-...moir-2017-01-30

P
P
This is new and excellent news! I've known about the Foxx influence on Merritt. I'm a big fan of Magnetic Fields, but this is the first I've heard about Foxx being immortalized in song! We have tickets for the tour for this album, which is a two night residency where the entire 50 songs will be performed in two halves. Now I am looking forward to it even moreso!

P
P
When the band was ready to start "Foxx And I" there was a classic B+W shot of the artist on the large projection screen that hung suspended over the stage. My wife and I immediately clapped and whistled in recognition. Stephin Merritt then set up the song by explaining John Foxx and his effect on him. Some of the intros he said were ironic jokes, but not that one.

Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator

Fabulous story. I am glad to hear you enjoyed the gig.
Thanks for sharing

FOXX & I has an interesting lyric and gave me a couple of nice biographical anecdotes

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.