Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#49197 04/15/18 02:43 AM
OP Offline
Seems like it's been a few years since we had some all-new material. There have always been rumours of various projects being in the works (like whatever was being done with the Smoke Fairies, etc), but lately we've had a couple of guest appearances on the Belbury Circle album and an upcoming Metamatic reissue and not a lot more.

So... has John effectively retired, or might we still see new Ghost Harmonic or Maths or solo material?

H
H
Well John turns 70 this year, so he’s certainly earned the right to retire! Even if he never releases another original song, I think we can all be happy with the body of work he’s produced to date. John’s albums may never have been the biggest sellers but in terms of innovation, originality and versatility, I can think of few other artists that come anywhere near him.

I think we have to be realistic now; John can afford to be selective in what projects he chooses to take on and also of course what he chooses to release. I’m sure he’ll carry on making music, even if it’s just for his own pleasure, but I can understand that releasing new material, having to go out and promote it and maybe even tour, may be unlikely at his time of life.

Of course I would be delighted to be proved wrong, but I reckon the occasional guest vocal on other artists’ albums and newly “repurposed” deluxe re-releases of old albums every couple of years are what we’re most likely to get!

Indeed, John could retire tomorrow and be proud of an excellent body of work that he's produced.

I doubt he's hung up his hat just yet. I'm sure we will see further projects of one kind or another.

From a purely selfish viewpoint I would love John to release a 'rock' album in the style of 'The Golden Section' and 'The Garden' with old cohort Robin Simon on board. Wishful thinking I know.

OP Offline
I could go for something with Robin Simon, too. Closest we've had to something like The Garden in recent years would be European Splendour and Empty Avenues. Coincidentally, I enjoyed those more than the Maths stuff, not that I didn't like that.

Yes they were good releases Steve.

I do love John's 'electronic' stuff which is his bread and butter but something a bit more of a meeting of rock and synths would make a welcome change for me. I listened to The Garden again last night. Such a brilliant and exciting album for me.

P
P
Well, there has been a mooted album with Robin Simon discussed for well-nigh unto 5-6 years now, I think. I keep waiting...

It does seem that Foxx has been mothballed for a period. There was that "family health issue" mentioned a year or so ago. Hmmmm. If it all ended today, the massive outpouring of projects from 1997-2017 [I still don't have them all] would stand as high water mark of creativity that few could match. I once tried to make a spreadsheet of them all but didn't want to spend all weekend doing it.

Steve Roby: I thought the first Maths album was as "rock" as he ever got!

OP Offline
Not much news or activity around here, to put it mildly. I really hope for more. Even if it's just news about a book edition of The Quiet Man. There are so many pieces of that, I compiled them into an ebook for my Kobo, though having read it through I think it could be sequenced better.

But boy, I could use some more John Foxx music.

T
T
Well, if you have read the latest mailing list, it seems John and Benge are working on another Maths album, which is great news. I am possibly in a tiny minority on this next point but to me this could be the natural follow up to Interplay. Not that I didn't love The Shape of Things or Evidence but they seemed to me to be (if you like) the super deluxe additions to the first album sessions. Then there was the equally good The Machine, but that was a soundtrack so that doesn't count as a "true" follow up either.

It would also be nice to hear some of the other things that have been mentioned a number of times in interviews, including another Harold Budd & Ruben Garcia record and especially Electricity & Ghosts.

Any new music would be welcome.

I thought Interplay was an excellent album. I thought the follow ups were more experimental and had their moments but were no match for Interplay. The Machine was interesting too. So happy for another album with Benge.

Hannah Peel has also mentioned doing more Maths a few times over the last year or so.

I think she will be involved.Looking forward to it.

Brian

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.