Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 2 of 15 1 2 3 4 14 15
Originally Posted By: Ivan Basso
Originally Posted By: MemberD
Careful with that foot-long salami, Eugene .. ooo-err..signora!

I should've come on me Colnago 'vicar's-bike' so as to have won *both* categories.
grin

Where were you Marco with the Metamatic foam pink hand to cheer us on !!
You up for it next year Mr Ferrara boy ? (no prize for you !!)

Let's just say the event was not programmed into my user-friendly reminder system .. ie. I forgot! Bit far to go for me anyway just to cheer on a few wallys in lycra on velocepedes.

I am always somewhat peturbed by the mention of Signor Pantani (notwithstanding his 'local hero' status round these parts) .. cos he topped himself on my birfday. Had I seen said barman-doppelganger "in the flesh" I probably would've done a wobbler .. even without a bike.
shocked

Ta Gazza Can you get that photo of you in Gazzola up on site ? When you tweet Bri next tell him about "Marco Pantani's" undying love for West Bromweeech !
Works calls Have a good one tonight !

Things u chaps do for wine and salami!

I'd expect a glass of real ale and a chicken tikki balti at the end

Marco is the other baggie always good to know.

Are you back over for new years Ivan?

If so we may have a new years day fixture

Brian

I
OP Offline
I
Originally Posted By: RadioBeach
I'm sure he'll appreciate it being the bon viveur he is
I'll mail the Epica site asking them to jib the salame next year for an extra bottle of vino !
*raises a glass to the Marco Pantani looking barman in Acqui *

EEEEEEEVA-TOOOHN! wink

As requestd the article I write You can write the 2011 version if you want So many parallels !
But first this ditty just about sums Sundays efforts up perfectly "We can beat them gravel paths just for one day "

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tgcc5V9Hu3g&ob=av2n

L’epica : Follow that Car (thaginian)

Last Saturday found me making the 55 mile train ride to Piacenza to “compete” in L’Epica (following in the footsteps of Hannibal ) hence the title It’s more a celebration of the bike , rather than a race as will shortly be explained . My own prize , that of “Mamella del giorno “ or “Tit du Jour “ as you say back home was won on my arrival at Piacenza station .. Should I ever produce a phrase book , it will contain “Guard , I have secured my velocipede to the bicycle rack by means of a locking device and have neglected to bring the keys !” A hastily produced saw saved my embarrassment and prevented my bike being doomed to travelling all the way back to Turin . I , then made my way to the hostel like a salmon swimming against the current , this particular current being the early Saturday evening “Passeggiata “ in full swing . Still a sight to behold after all these years. The main drag in Piacenza is truly wonderful from an architectural point of view . Once in the hostel , I thought I’d watch the land of my forefathers play the land of my wife and daughter , but it wasn’t to be , as the hostel telly was on the blink , so I retired to bed with a book ,. I was up at 5 .30 and at 7.00 cycled the 8k to San Nicolò the starting point of the race . Race is a somewhat erroneous term , there were three categories 30k , 65 k and 105k It was a throwback to a gentler pre -doping era The competitors were encouraged to bring vintage bikes and clothing and it was amazing to see bikes from the 40’s 50’s 60’s and 70’s . There were also modern state-of .the .art bikes and mountain bikes . My steed of choice was a 12 year old steel frame Legnano rather than my carbon/aluminium Scott for reasons which will become obvious. Mid 80’s hits such as Simple Minds and Tina Turner were blasting out from the makeshift refreshment area . In a Proustian way , it brought back memories of our last great side . A makeshift exhibition of vintage jerseys had been set up I handed over my Renault mid 70’s woolen one I had thought about riding in it , but decided I did not want to hand over my already meager savings to a dermatologist !In tribute to the upcoming game in Estadio da Luz a Blue and white Berg jersey purchased in Lisbon in August was worn .
9 o’clock arrived , and the line up was like the previous evening’s passeggiata , truly a sight to behold . It was amazing to see such a variety of bikes I decided to go for the long haul 105k In keeping with cycling’s more innocent days, no chips , just a card to be stamped at the various feeding stations along the way . The race itself , more or less followed the River Trebbia . which Hannibal and his elephants had followed on the way down to Rome after crossing the Alps . Another feature of the race was that 30k , in intermittent sections , were along so called “strade bianche “ rough country gravel paths . You could tangibly feel the envy towards the mountain bikers on those sections . The first station was reached after 35k ,water , wine , energy drinks , fine wines , salame and cheeses all there for the taking . The bright sunshine added to the festive feeling and cards were stamped . My inner ale- fiend was tempted to hit the wine . but decided to refrain until the finishing line . The route then hit the hills and low mountains and I found myself with a couple of 60 year old ex semi professionals It was really interesting to hear their tales , and made the steep uphill sections less tiring , the beautiful scenery added to this as well , After 60k came the worst section , a 2k uphill climb on gravel at an average of 9 per cent (16 per cent at its steepest ) The highest feeding station at 500 m was reached , cards once again stamped , food consumed and everything was like that classic David Bowie LP featuring “Life on Mars ” My trusty Legnano was holding up , then on a swift downhill section , the ominous sound of a blowout , pretty scary at that speed . 10 minutes of cursing and swearing saw the tube in my front wheel replaced , only for the back wheel to go 2 minutes later , which meant parting with the second and ultimate inner tube ! On the way down , the race passed through a village called Statto This was manifestly obvious as the inhabitants all wore anoraks and NHS specs and would come out with such gems as “Burnley fielded a side in the 1912/13 season completely made up of Saggitarians “ The final station was reached , I reached for what I thought was energy drink it turned out to be Prosecco wine ,! “Ah well , if Buddha so decrees , so be it “ and helped myself to another glass and a salame bap . The last 25 k to San Nicolò passed quickly , the finishing –line was reached and goody bags were given out Two bottles of the areas finest wine (Gutturnio /Malvasia) The final cherry on the cake was the Polenta Party and all the free wine that went with it in the glorious sunshine. It was truly a privilege to take part in such an event . A real celebration of the two wheeled sport . A reminder of a more innocent age . Similar to the beautiful game in the 70’s before Sky defiled its pulchritude .

I
OP Offline
I
Originally Posted By: Brian
Ta Gazza Can you get that photo of you in Gazzola up on site ? When you tweet Bri next tell him about "Marco Pantani's" undying love for West Bromweeech !
Works calls Have a good one tonight !

Things u chaps do for wine and salami!

I'd expect a glass of real ale and a chicken tikki balti at the end
Marco is the other baggie always good to know.

Are you back over for new years Ivan?

If so we may have a new years day fixture

Brian

Looking unlikely Brian but you never know I'd deffo love to do that canal ride at some stage Would you be up for the Velomatic peloton should we get London to Brighton sorted ?

Last edited by Ivan Basso; 10/12/11 08:28 AM.

I
OP Offline
I

Excellent stuff me old china Great memories indeed
They should make you mayor of Gazzola !

That'd of been good! All that wine though - I'd go mad

I need to buy a racer Ivan,would be at the back of the crowd on my mountain bike.

When is London to Brighton?

Last edited by Brian; 10/12/11 04:37 PM.

I think that's only possible if you're on foursquare ...

honorary citizen, at most.

I
OP Offline
I
Originally Posted By: Brian
I need to buy a racer Ivan,would be at the back of the crowd on my mountain bike.

When is London to Brighton?

17TH JUNE 2012 ACCORDING TO THE SITE

Page 2 of 15 1 2 3 4 14 15

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.