Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2
#48960 03/29/17 09:14 AM
G
OP Offline
G
Dear all,

I am currently working on an article on Cathedral Oceans II in the German Wikipedia. Do you happen to have links to reviews or articles on this album? Small blogs are not valid unfortunately, and reviews/articles dealing with the trilogy would need to have specific information on CO2. I find it hard to find any information on the album, which leaves me wondering, for I expected to find plenty media coverage.

Thanks for any help, and kind regards,
G.

Administrator
Administrator

I will have a look through my archive for you, and supply links if I have any.
There are very few reviews specifically of COII - it is one of JF's most under-rated albums.

If you have any specific questions about it, do ask here and I will help if Ican

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
G
OP Offline
G
Thanks in advance already. The draft is here and almost empty so far. I need to be able to provide sources for everything if an information is contested.

One question perhaps: During the production process, did JF have a teaching assignment in Leeds or London? Just to put it into a context.

Last edited by Grueslayer; 03/31/17 09:14 AM.
Administrator
Administrator

Yes - Leeds.

He was based there as a lecturer, and then moved to work at the Thames Valley University near Reading

Happy to proof read if you need help...

It's worth noting / remembering that COII has never been released on its own, and is the only part of the trilogy that does not have an accompanying DVD

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
Administrator
Administrator

Reviews of COI + COII are VERY hard to find, and I have almost nothing that relates to COII

Record Collector, September 2003 (Daryl Easlea)
Barcode eZine, February 2004
eer-music.com Jim Brenholts

The release of the 2-disc set distracted from the second disc as a standalone piece, and the whole package was completely overtaken by the simultaneous release and media attention to Crash & Burn

I recognise what you said too about the kind of small, personal blogs that Wikipedia doesn't like, but I am sharing a link to my blog anyway because I seem to be the only person I can find who has written anything about COII at all!!

https://translatedbirdsong.wordpress.com/2016/10/17/cathedral-oceans-ii/

G
OP Offline
G
That helps. Will get back to you here once I've worked that off.

Thanks!!

G
OP Offline
G
So far I've asked our music editorial staff about a possible access to the Record Collector archives, and wrote an email to the Barcode staff. And quoted your blog. ;-)

Do you have any information on the "Ground Zero" studio? And do you have any idea if The Master has given any interviews where he explicitly mentions CO2?

Administrator
Administrator

If you have no luck I can send you scans. But they are generic CO reviews not specific to CO2

I think that's Roger Lyons studio at Buxton in Derbyshire.
Crash And Burn was mastered there too I believe

John has not specifically referred to CO2 in any interview that I am aware of.
I will look again around the time that the Orphee Projekt was released in the US because he supplied a track for that called SPLENDOUR that was set aside from CO2

Thanks for quoting my blog. I hope it helps

G
OP Offline
G
That would be this Roger Lyons I suppose?

I have the Orphee CD crammed away in some box, maybe this provides me with another sentence to add. This research is chewy sometimes. ;-) Thanks for the help!

Edit: Danny from Barcode wrote: "I did write a review for barcodezine.com, but all the reviews were removed from the website quite some time ago and eventually deleted. Unfortunately, there's no backup copy of it." *sigh*

Last edited by Grueslayer; 04/03/17 09:27 AM.
Administrator
Administrator

Good job I have copies of them then!

If I can help with scans etc, let me know

email martinsmith@metamatic.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.