Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
P
OP Offline
P
Hans-Joachim Roedelius is attempting to mount a tour of America this year. It's been six years since his last dates here. He is confirmed for three dates in March, being anchored by the Big Ears Festival. He will perform a date in New York City and one in my city of Asheville in addition to Big Ears. There is a Kickstarter underway to meet visa and travel costs for the seminal 82 year old musician. I've come to his music late in spite of knowing him by reputation for 35 years and this is a chance I am jumping at. Even though the gig is set in my city, I'll still try to pledge to the campaign since more people should hear him perform his wonderful music while he's still playing it.
https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/ro ... 17-us-tour

Hey Monk. That's something to look forward to.

I've been a big fan of all things Cluster/Roedelius/Moebius for many years. I do regret that I'd never caught them live at some point.

By the way, I really enjoy visiting your site. Our musical tastes and opinions are very similar. I would recommend people take a look.

P
OP Offline
P
Your Shadow - Thanks for the shout out. I've been blogging since 2010 and it's a lot of fun. Many years ago my wife asked me what my ideal job would be and I replied "curating the museum of New Wave," which is sort of what I ended up doing. I was writing that blog in my head for many years before it finally got a chance to leave my skull. I thought I wouldn't like to use the rare free time at home spent mastering vinyl to digital for blogging, but then I realized that my lunch hour at work was the ideal protected personal time where it made total sense to do so. And here we are.

Last edited by postpunkmonk; 02/02/17 01:17 PM.

Well Monk I take a look everyday to see what you've been discussing or reviewing. There's always something of interest.

My first musical love was Midge era Ultravox. Only discovering them in January '81 when they performed Vienna on TOTP. I was blown away. This led me to discovering John's Ultravox and then John's solo work. I have to agree that for a time Midge could do no wrong but then musically he went off the rails.

I was lucky enough to see the reunited Ultravox three times between 2009 and 2012. They really were on their game. Glad you managed to enjoy Midge's solo shows in the US. Shame Ultravox couldn't make it over there.

I got into the likes of Roedelius about fifteen years ago. I've bought all of his Bureau B releases. Fantastic stuff!

P
OP Offline
P
Re: No Ultravox tours of America. Well, what else is new? I missed 'Vox on the only tour they came within 90 miles of me in October, 1980. I had just had my mind blown with the "Passing Strangers" clip on a pre-MTV video show the previous month. That middle 8 had the best synth solo I'd ever heard! I was barely 17, didn't yet know how to drive. Couldn't get to Tampa, 90 miles away. No friends had cars yet. Heck, I still could not find a copy of "Vienna" which came out in September but was scarce as hens' teeth at that point. I eventually bought it when visiting another state [South Carolina over Christmas]. So I missed Ultravox in October of 1980. I thought there would be surely other chances, but it never happened. Over the years, I eventually ran in the same circles of somewhat older Orlando, Florida music fans who had gone to Tampa, interviewed the band, etc. But knowing them was in my future. Flying over when they reformed was not an option. Way out of my budget. So the Midge Electric tour was my last chance!

I agree about the Passing Strangers middle 8. A great synth solo. I'm surprised the single only made 57 in the UK charts!! Sleepwalk had creeped into the top 30 a few months earlier. Somehow both tracks passed me by at the time.

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.