Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#48862 12/26/16 07:55 AM
I
OP Offline
I
Arguablythe polar opposite of John Foxx but his death really struck me Firstly I own nothing by him but his songs were a background tapestry to my youth When I caught "Club Tropicana " and "Freedom " on the radio, like Marcel Proust biting into his petite Madeleine*, I was instantly transported back to those good times, The frightening thing he was a contemporary of mine (and a good few others on here I would wager) Despite his reputation for throwaway pop , he had a deeper side too. I bet he's sat round the pool in heaven in his white cossie asking Mr Cohen "Well Len , do you agree that charity is a coat we wear twice a year ?"
Anyway , thanks for the memories George

*As I'm a thicko footie watching type , the board's resident intellectual Membs will probably explain this litrary concept better than me smile

Last edited by Ivan Basso; 12/26/16 07:59 AM.
He was very underrated & very talented.

Well & truly part of the fabric of my life in my 20s and we shared a birth date.

Will never forget last dances of the endless 80s discos.

RIP Georgios Kyriacos Panayiotou frown

Brian

I
OP Offline
I
Well said that man ! that's where George left Den in his wake. It's a lot easier to cop of to Careless Whisper than Burning Car ! Well Bri. I'll wish you all the best for what's left of The Festive season before Leicester and Arsenal ruin it for us both later on this afternoon ! Don't know if you saw my reply to Andy in the footy thread. My trip to Southampton the other week turned out to be a real ordeal !

All the best Dave!

Yes it's going to a be a very rough xmas fixture list.

Arsenal today..

Brian

Originally Posted By: Ivan Basso
Arguablythe polar opposite of John Foxx but his death really struck me Firstly I own nothing by him but his songs were a background tapestry to my youth When I caught "Club Tropicana " and "Freedom " on the radio, like Marcel Proust biting into his petite Madeleine*, I was instantly transported back to those good times, The frightening thing he was a contemporary of mine (and a good few others on here I would wager) Despite his reputation for throwaway pop , he had a deeper side too. I bet he's sat round the pool in heaven in his white cossie asking Mr Cohen "Well Len , do you agree that charity is a coat we wear twice a year ?"
Anyway , thanks for the memories George

*As I'm a thicko footie watching type , the board's resident intellectual Membs will probably explain this litrary concept better than me smile

Never thought I'd ever see Le temps perdu and Club Tropicana uttered in more or less in the same breath, nevertheless mon ami I was likewise taken much aback by the news of George Michael's passing and am equally flabbergasted given his relatively young age, notwithstanding personal and social excesses of that all-too-short half century.
Both Wham! and Michael as a solo artist have always fallen strongly into the 'guilty pleasure' category, and I admit to having stepped back in amazement on recently discovering I own a copy of 'Ladies and Gentlemen', an anthology of the man's work issued in 1998. That said, it was solid quality pop through and through as far as the late George was concerned and hardly a false step was made (the only exception, perhaps, being a cover version of New Order's True Faith which I admit I have never heard).
The aforementioned Club Tropicana, Everything She Wants, Last Christmas, Careless Whispers .. the list goes on, but I would particularly like to single out 2004's largely unnoticed track 'Shoot the Dog' which not only managed to skilfully sample The Human League ca. 1981, but also launch a protest against the Bush administration and its associates. His most political song since the 'Wham Rap!' debut, inspired and fuelled by the Thatcher regime, and 'the benefit gang' Zeitgeist.

Thank you George. I am sure you always did and always will enjoy what you do. Pity you didn't get a knighthood.

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.