Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
P
OP Offline
P
As an American fan from 1980 - exactly one year after his last show on American soil, it's been bittersweet seeing the incredible Foxx renaissance of the last 19 years - all happening live on other continents. The only time I had the income necessary to fly over to the UK for a Foxx show coincided with his 12 year layoff period.

I live where they used to have Moogfest. I always felt that Foxx + The Maths would be a logical and coherent addition to their lineup, which stresses music as well as education. Foxx and Benge were born to host panels as well as melt my brain onstage. Moogfest had booked such Foxx peripherals as Adult. and Tara Busch. When Paxahau in Detroit started promoting the festival, I emailed on them perhaps booking Foxx to a polite, canned response.

My wife and I have attended the last two Big Ears festivals in Knoxville. This is a less commercial, more challenging festival with an eclectic but studied slant that cuts a swath between disparate genres such as folk, Krautrock, art rock, classical and New Music. Every year the festival has been filled with names I'd often read about on The Quietus. The lineups really reflected that site's aesthetic. So much so, that I discovered this year that tQ had actually helped to program the festival.

When I told my wife about this, she had the brilliant suggestion to mention to The Quietus that getting Foxx there for 2018 would be something of a coup. I emailed the editor of The Quietus, John Doran, and proposed the notion. Within a few minutes we had a dialogue on the subject that he certainly agreed upon, with the notion of sending out a few emails and trying to make it happen. Because not only is Foxx my favorite artist, but he's also a bedrock artist for Doran as well. His excellent remix of "Underpass" from 2013 was evidence of that, even beyond the great Foxx articles at tQ over the last eight years.

So… are the wheels turning to actually see Foxx on North American soil, performing for the first time in 38 years? I certainly hope so!

Hell, get him to Mutek. Montreal's only two hours from here and I wouldn't need a passport.

P
OP Offline
P
Steve, though I'd gladly fly to Montreal to see Foxx, Knoxville's a two hour drive from where I live. No contest. Also, I have no sway with the Mutek people. Not so with The Quietus. It's an easy affair to email a suggestion to John Doran and he responded almost immediately in the positive, so there we are.

Last edited by postpunkmonk; 10/10/16 08:09 PM.

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.