Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
sdavies #48396 04/16/16 02:45 PM
T
T
Should be a nice item. Not the ultimate of course but I wasn't really expecting that. I don't think I have seen the image used on the 4th CD before - is that a Dennis Leigh original?

I have seen the image first in my 1978 Tour pamphlet and it was used for the text of Quiet Men. There are some other nice images for some other texts in it. So - YES it is a Dennis Leigh original.

Looking forward to this release. Though it is a bit sad there are no promo tracks on it. Great to have the Peel session and the Old Grey whistle test tracks on it.

City doesn't care / Carcrash Flashback - the outtake of the debut album, which Warren mentioned in an interview in the past- Would make a great vinyl single for the next Record Store Day...... wouldn't it?

Administrator
Administrator

Thanks Andreas.

It also appears 'in big' as part of a large full colour feature published in Record Mirror on April 12th, 1980

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic
The Archive
The Archive
Originally Posted By: Shadow Man
I have seen the image first in my 1978 Tour pamphlet and it was used for the text of Quiet Men. There are some other nice images for some other texts in it. So - YES it is a Dennis Leigh original.

Yes, that image definitely came from the 1978 Tour Pamphlet - I know, 'cos I provided it...

Rob

sdavies #48400 04/17/16 12:23 PM
S
S
Can I get an answer to any of my questions?

sdavies #48402 04/17/16 03:26 PM
The Archive
The Archive
Originally Posted By: sdavies
Can I get an answer to any of my questions?

Sorry, but running this website isn't my full-time job which means that I'm only able to answer questions as and when I have the spare time...

Originally Posted By: sdavies
Can you tell us who did the remastering this time? Also, why are the outtakes that I've read about still left in the vaults? And last, any plans for a vinyl (preferably colored) edition?

Details of who did the mastering this time around is listed in the accompanying sleeve notes - and I haven't been given permission to post that information in advance of the release date.

The outtakes (etc.) could have been left in the vaults for any number of reasons; 1) perhaps releasing them was out of the scope of this project; 2) perhaps Island Records weren't able to licence previously unreleased material from their vaults to a third-party; 3) perhaps the band didn't want any of that material to be released; 4) something else altogether.

There are currently no plans (that I'm aware of) for The Island Years box set to be made available on vinyl.

Rob

I appreciate that plenty of work has gone into this box set but it does feel like a missed opportunity again.

I understand there are undivulged reasons why unreleased tracks or demos have not been included in the set but for those of us who bought the reissues in 2006 there is little to tempt us.

Sure we get the tracks from the John Peel Sessions and tracks from the Old Grey Whistle Test which are welcome but I don't know if it's enough to justify releasing a four cd box set. Most fans will have already bought the three albums on vinyl, original cds and possibly the reissues. Perhaps the Retro cd could have been released on its own for those who didn't want to buy the three albums yet again.

This is not a criticism of your efforts Rob. I'm sure your hands were tied with regard contents and would have loved a lot more to have been included. I'm not happy unless I have the occaisional grumble.

The Archive
The Archive
It's currently available to pre-order from Amazon for only £16.99 cool

Rob

OP Offline
Originally Posted By: Your Shadow
I appreciate that plenty of work has gone into this box set but it does feel like a missed opportunity again.

I understand there are undivulged reasons why unreleased tracks or demos have not been included in the set but for those of us who bought the reissues in 2006 there is little to tempt us.

Sure we get the tracks from the John Peel Sessions and tracks from the Old Grey Whistle Test which are welcome but I don't know if it's enough to justify releasing a four cd box set. Most fans will have already bought the three albums on vinyl, original cds and possibly the reissues. Perhaps the Retro cd could have been released on its own for those who didn't want to buy the three albums yet again.

This is not a criticism of your efforts Rob. I'm sure your hands were tied with regard contents and would have loved a lot more to have been included. I'm not happy unless I have the occaisional grumble.

I understand your grumbles I really do. But anything that's unreleased is probably still on tape, and the cost of transferring and mastering those tapes - with great care - can be a very expensive business.

I cannot speak for the band members etc - but I imagine that - even if they were all in agreement about certain tracks being released, perhaps the cost of doing so was just not achievable.

I understand your grumbles I really do. But anything that's unreleased is probably still on tape, and the cost of transferring and mastering those tapes - with great care - can be a very expensive business.

I cannot speak for the band members etc - but I imagine that - even if they were all in agreement about certain tracks being released, perhaps the cost of doing so was just not achievable. [/quote]

Fair point Rads. I should just be happy for the extras I guess.

Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.