Metamatic : The Official John Foxx Website...
NEWS DISCOGRAPHY MERCHANDISE ARCHIVE INDEX FORUM
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
#48117 12/11/15 07:38 PM
Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator

I am trying to find out more about some dates that Ultravox! apparently did NOT play in Germany at the end of May 1977.

They were definitely IN Germany, Munchën at least, because there are various interviews with the band from this period. They were filmed in TV studios for the "ARD Program" and "Scene 77" - also the RockPop and Rockpalast programs

I also still find it 'chronologically incongruous' that Ultravox played live on German TV in 1976 before ANY UK appearances?
Really??

I would love to know more on these.
Can anyone help?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URcOW9HZw0k

I have several German media items that I would LOVE to have translated, which may shed light onto some of this.

Thank you all

I know Ultravox! performed Young Savage on the TV show Szene'77. This was a show by a very famous showmaster in Germany - Thomas Gottschalk. He was very young at that time and it was one of his first TV shows. I haven't found that track on youtube ( What a Shame) but if you interested how the show looked like , there is another track from Szene'79 on you tube where the Damned played Love Song. You can see the young Gottschalk at the start of this short film. I really hope they showing us Young Savage one day on TV again - Like they did with Frozen Ones from the show Rockpop on ZDF Kultur for a couple of years.

Last edited by Shadow Man; 12/25/15 07:12 PM.
Another interesting one from Szene'79 is Tubeway Army with Are Friends Electric? Billy Currie on Keyboards...

V
V
Quote:
They were filmed in TV studios for the "ARD Program" and "Scene 77"

Actually ARD is a TV channel and "Szene '77" [sic!] is its music show. They played there, most likely, in June 1977 - I have an article from the newspaper "Musikexpress" from 2 July 1977 where this appearance is mentioned (I can post it here, but it's in German).

Quote:
I also still find it 'chronologically incongruous' that Ultravox played live on German TV in 1976 before ANY UK appearances?
Really??

Of course not smile Those videos that usually go as "Germany RockPop 1976" are actually from their famous support slot for Eddie & The Hot Rods on 19 February 1977. They did play on RockPop - but on 4 January 1978 promoting their (forthcoming?) single Frozen Ones.

Administrator
OP Offline
Administrator

Thank you! That's really helpful - so when was that set broadcast on German TV, and on which show?
Rock Pop (so far as I know) didn't broadcast until September 1977, and Rockpalast does not list Ultravox in its archive

I think I have the article you mention, but if you could post it that would be great laugh

Trying to figure out exactly when Ultravox played in Germany is proving quite tricky...

For archive snippets, sparks of electroflesh and news about this website follow me on Twitter @foxxmetamatic

Moderated by  Birdsong, Rob Harris 

Link Copied to Clipboard

Metamatic Website
Copyright © 1998 / 2021 Metamatic. No part of this website may be reproduced in any form, or by any means, without prior permission in writing from Metamatic.